Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014
Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah, if you've stuck with Megadeth over the last ten years, Endgame is practically a reward, so I'll agree with that.

But still, yet another publication giving Slayer so much credit for WPB. I don't get it. You guys are all encouraging mediocrity!
I love Megadeth, but I personally don't get the fuss over Endgame. It was one of 8 or 9 CDs I got at Christmas and I was expecting it to be the best, but it's really not. Great leads, OK riffs, but Mustaine is still favouring convoluted lyrics over vocal melody, which makes all of the songs very similar, and really quite boring.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I love Megadeth, but I personally don't get the fuss over Endgame. It was one of 8 or 9 CDs I got at Christmas and I was expecting it to be the best, but it's really not. Great leads, OK riffs, but Mustaine is still favouring convoluted lyrics over vocal melody, which makes all of the songs very similar, and really quite boring.
We've agreed on 3 or 4 things all year and this is one of them. For people who worship Endgame to call WPB mediocre is laughable. While each cd has 3 or 4 great songs at least Slayer has some other gems in there. Some of the lyrics and plodding music on Endgame is terrible. At least the bad Slayer songs are funny or fun. The bad songs on Endgame are just boring and dumb.

It's still their best cd in years but would it kill them to cut the fodder or at least throw some time changes or vocal melodies in the boring songs?
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
We've agreed on 3 or 4 things all year and this is one of them. For people who worship Endgame to call WPB mediocre is laughable. While each cd has 3 or 4 great songs at least Slayer has some other gems in there. Some of the lyrics and plodding music on Endgame is terrible. At least the bad Slayer songs are funny or fun. The bad songs on Endgame are just boring and dumb.

It's still their best cd in years but would it kill them to cut the fodder or at least throw some time changes or vocal melodies in the boring songs?
Actually, I would argue that for people to call WPB anything less than terrible is hilarious.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Actually, I would argue that for people to call WPB anything less than terrible is hilarious.
No comment. Haven't heard it.

30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
World Painted Blood is terrible, and Endgame is threatening to crack my top 15 (if not for Bite the Hand...what the fuck).
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

World Painted Blood is a masterpiece imho

happy new year !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
World Painted Blood is terrible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
World Painted Blood is a masterpiece
Have either one of you ever heard of this place called "middle ground"? It's a place where you don't take the most extreme stance possible on something, and find a little gray in the world. Incidentally, it's also where most of the truth actually lives. Very rarely are the polar extremes and reality the same thing.

@Brad: WPB is not fucking horrible. That's just your extreme distaste for Slayer post-South of Heaven talking. Get over it. You're missing out on a lot of good Slayer...for example, GHUA, which was absolutely brutal.

@PowerMaiden: It's good, but it ain't that good.

Sheesh, you guys. Fuck.

Sorry, I just got worked up by all the super-polarized statements I've been reading on here tonight [shuffles off to yell at Ravenheart and Maiden33 for claiming to like only 29 or 7 songs in a list of 600...I don't care if it's a list of country music songs - are you guys really that obtuse? ]

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-30-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
[shuffles off to yell at Ravenheart and Maiden33 for claiming to like only 29 or 7 songs in a list of 600...I don't care if it's a list of country music songs - are you guys really that obtuse? ]
Nope. And if it were country I'd like more of them. I hate pop, and I hate indie. Seriously. If no one ever made an indie song again I'd be very happy.

I also don't like some of the huge bands everyone feels obligated to like. The Stones, Beatles, etc. I like a handful of Who songs, but none of those have come up yet.

There's no blues in the list, so that takes out a huge chunk of what I like.

The rest is derivative chart music. I don't see why I should say "yeah, that's a good song" because it's popular and it will make me look like I'm not one of "those guys" who thinks the World begins and ends with metal. I think it begins and ends with good songs, and most of those are not good songs. They're either popular songs, or "this minute" songs, and neither of those things are necessarily the same as good.

Anyone else pick out the Depeche Mode and Paul Weller tracks? Or would that be too obtuse?

30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 AM

BW&BK number 1 is Endgame, by the way.

30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

OK, let me put it this way. I've noticed a pretty disturbing trend on this board over the last few months (and let's be honest...it's probably always been the case to one extent or the other), for people to notice the smallest defect in a group's output over a certain time period (Slayer and Metallica in the late 90's and early 00's, for example), and just pile on the collective bandwagon of ripping on them forever and ever, dismissing all the work that they did during said era and everything they will ever do again.

I just think this is nothing but trend-following, close-minded nonsense. I'm sorry, but every band, everywhere, regardless of genre or popular status, puts out a crap album once in a while...INCLUDING THE ALMIGHTY IRON MAIDEN (yeah, I said it).

Get off your high horses already and listen to each album, each song, on its own merit. Does it entertain you? Honestly? If not, then just move on. Listen to something else. Maybe give the band another chance down the line, though - especially if you found a whole lot to like at one time.

I just can't stand all the grandstanding going on around here sometimes. People seem to very easily fall into the easy pattern of ripping on things other people seem to want to rip on, and sometimes I just think it's because they can, or to get attention or to seem like they know something about something, when if they are half as smart as they think they are, they would realize that all the snootiness about music that's "beneath them" just makes them come off looking pretentious, arrogant or just plain bitchy.

I'm not necessarily directing these comments at anyone in particular (although I could think of a few folks to which they apply very well, especially as of late), but more trying to express an alternative opinion that, although no one should feel "obligated" to like something because others do, they should also try to maybe not stand around being negative about stuff because other people are doing the same thing, too. That's being just as much of a follower as one of the so-called "mindless sheep" who listen to that oh-so-evil, oh-so-ridiculous genre called "pop" (GASP!) once in a great while.

I love the fuck out of metal. I always will. There's lots of stuff I don't like. I express that every once in a while - but I don't stand around being a Negative Nancy all the time becuase it makes people pay attention to me or think I'm smart. If I like a pop sog, I'll admit it - I've got nothing to hide. What I don't want to ever happen is to die from internal hemmorhaging because of the stick jammed up my ass.

I like to keep my options open - that way, I get to enjoy a whole lot more in life. That's all I'm saying.

The bottom line: Disagreeing with trends or the status quo every once in a while is fine, especially if you make good arguments. Being a negative bitch all the time because you think it makes you look cool or smart just makes you look like an ass.

(Above comment directed at no one in particular - honestly - just think about it, is all I humbly ask.)

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-31-2009 at 04:37 PM.