King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
12/31- 2009 Man of the Year
Me!!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Coheed put out a new DVD?

You like Coheed?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Coheed put out a new DVD?

You like Coheed?
Two discs, four nights, each night a full album. It's AWESOME.

And yeah I like Coheed.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM

http://flatlinemusic.blogspot.com/

I'll be putting my shit on here. I folded my blog and now I'm a part of an existing, active blog. Keep an eye on the blog, I'll post links to the entries when I post my year-end stuff too.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Arrow Starting a bit early...wanna fight about it?

Top Five Album Covers of 2009

5. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest

Karl Sanders has always been a master of creating an atmosphere for his albums, both as a member of Nile and as a solo artist, that goes far beyond the music, and his impeccably tasteful album art is a big part of that. The newest full-length in the Nile canon features the band's best album cover since its 1998 debut, Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, simply for the fact that it utilizes a photograph rather than a drawing. Egyptian history, however improbable, actually happened, and nothing drives that point home quite like seeing an actual crumbling relic from that great empire.

4. Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus

This is one of those album covers that would have sold thousands of records to teenagers trying to find cool new metal in the pre-Internet, vinyl-dominated era. The striking shades of red seem to jump out of the artwork, which is only complemented by the presence of the Great Horned One, lording over the wasteland with his left hand aloft, seeming to channel the demon from one of the greatest heavy metal album covers of all time, Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath. This is what a heavy metal album cover should be.

3. Cobalt - Gin

Properly used, old photographs can be the most compelling visual medium imaginable. The sepia tones of Ernest Hemingway's World War I military picture placed on the front of a vicious, warlike album like Gin more than qualifies for "proper use". With Hemingway's steely gaze piercing you and Cobalt's vertical logo looking on, this already complex album throws a few more dimensions of depth into the mix, and that's before even thumbing through the liner notes and turning the case over to take in the back cover. Gin is an intense package all the way through.

2. Baroness - Blue Record

While John Dyer Baizley will probably never have a year quite as incredible as 2007 as an artist - he wrote and recorded Baroness' transcendent Red Album, and did the artwork for that album in addition to the then-new LPs from Skeletonwitch, Pig Destroyer, and Darkest Hour - as an individual piece of artwork, the cover to Blue Record may be his masterpiece. The theme of fertility prevails in the art: pregnant women, eggs, including one that has been cracked open to reveal a phallus, and sperm grace the painting, and it's all done with the utmost attention to detail and that instantly recognizable style that Baizley has become known for.

1. Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs

Understatement and simplicity can be key in creating a truly memorable image, and perhaps no one grasped this better than Neige and Company for the first (and apparently last) Amesoeurs full-length. The album is characterized by a seamless blend of traditional black metal and the stirring, urban sounds of modern France, and the artwork reflects this in every way. The black metal color palette, featuring only shades of white, gray, and black, is still very much intact, but rather than showing vast, snow-covered landscapes or battle-ready men in makeup, a stark, gaunt skyline is put on display. Mountaintops may have been replaced by skyscrapers, but the tone is just as bleak. Even the band's logo is a perfect reflection of their music: elegant, French, and of course, understated. You would be hard-pressed to find an album whose cover matched its contents better this year, or one whose cover is so strikingly beautiful yet utterly bleak. Rest in peace, Amesoeurs. You will be missed.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 12-21-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
The theme of fertility prevails in the art: pregnant women, eggs, including one that has been cracked open to reveal a phallus, and sperm grace the painting, and it's all done with the utmost attention to detail and that instantly recognizable style that Baizley has become known for.
I think that was a coincidence, same as Death Magnetic.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I think that was a coincidence, same as Death Magnetic.
Do you have interview evidence for this? Because I'm sorry, but there's waaaaaay too much fertility in that art for me to think it wasn't deliberate. Also, @ Death Magnetic, wut?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Top DVD and Top Five Music Videos

DVD of the Year: Iron Maiden - Flight 666

If you're a fan of heavy metal, you're probably a fan of Iron Maiden, and if you're a fan of Iron Maiden, you probably think that 2008's extensive Somewhere Back in Time tour was a near-flawless tour for them. The setlist was amazing, even it was a little predictable, everyone in the band was on top of their game, the performances were unparalleled, and the tour was undertaken in the most metal way imaginable: in a private plane dubbed Ed Force One piloted by Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson. Flight 666 is famed metal documentary filmmaker Sam Dunn's video tribute to this awe-inspiring tour and the legendary band that decided to undertake it. Disc one is an insightful, hilarious, inspirational, and fascinating documentary regarding the tour, the band, and the unbelievable way in which South American and Asian fans receive their heroes. If you thought a Maiden concert in North America was intense, watch this documentary and see your mind change before your very eyes. Disc two is the most novel idea for a concert DVD I've ever seen: each song in the setlist - which appears in full - is taken from a different city on the tour. I personally saw Maiden in Toronto on this leg of the Somewhere Back in Time tour, so the recording of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" from that night is particularly poignant, and nearly redelivered me to the tears that it produced the first time around. Simply put, this is potentially the best music DVD of all time, and a testament to the sheer godliness of the best band on the planet. Up the Irons.

Top Five Music Videos of 2009

5. Merrimack - "In the Halls of White Death"

With this video, French black metal squad Merrimack focused less on story and more on aesthetics and imagery. A lot of it feels over the top, partially because it is, and there's no plot to the video, nor is there any reason for a lot of the graphic content. But that's kind of the point, I think. Merrimack's music is extremely visceral, and the video is just providing some visual carnage to accompany the audio extremity. The product isn't always appealing, but it certainly doesn't pull any punches and it does its job as a visual counterpart to a solid black metal song.
http://www.rocktube.us/gtUngDIyJoA/M...deo_2009_.html

4. Isis - "20 Minutes/40 Years"

If Isis are always going to be accused of Tool influence anyway, they might as well embrace the best parts of that act. This video, and to a certain extent the song it represents, is the embodiment of the post-metal act's headfirst dive into all that is Tool. The band doesn't appear in the video, the style is bizarre, animated, and trippy, and the peaks and the valleys of the song align beautifully with the peaks and valleys in the imagery that the video provides. This is certainly one of the more unique videos of the year, and it elegantly showcases the timelessness that is Isis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3NkhjsBf0

3. Sonata Arctica - "Flag in the Ground"

Alright, so this is a ridiculously cheesy video for an unbelievably upbeat (read: flowery) power metal song. There are moments where it is acceptable to laugh at what's going on onscreen, but at the end of the day, a music video is supposed to be an accurate reflection of the song that it accompanies, and if the new Sonata Arctica video doesn't do that, then I don't know what does. Keytars, guyliner, ponytailed men planting flags in the ground, and, yes, bouncing around on the balls of one's feet are all prominently featured in this video, but there is nothing self-aware or smug about this cheesiness. Sonata Arctica embrace it, and that's why their brand of power metal is among the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kObI4XuTR2o

2. Dark Funeral - "My Funeral"

Maybe it's the corpse paint, maybe it's the blood on the walls, maybe it's the incredibly professional camera work, and maybe it's the stage presence of the band, but this is easily the best "band playing their song in a room" music video of all time, and one of the only videos of this kind that is actually worth watching more than once. The graphic content warning at the beginning of the video might be a little unnecessary, but somehow adds to the aesthetic the band puts forth. There's not much else to say about this one, it just rules. Hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVodXzNmPM

1. Behemoth - "Ov Fire and the Void"

Death and black metal bands doing high-minded conceptual videos and electing to star in the them as well is probably a good idea one time per every million attempts. "Ov Fire and the Void" happens to be that one time. Nergal and his grim compatriots grope their way (at times literally) through a barren landscape filled with tarot cards, whips-and-chains torture, a woman carrying the Antichrist in her womb, and a fallen angel with some delicious-looking wings. Just when you think they couldn't add one more thing to the video, they do, and while it could come off as over-the-top, it remains mostly in the realm of tastefully evil. Even if the new record was something of a disappointment, this video is the best of the year, hands down.
http://www.rocktube.us/bjosZCO83Wh/B...deo_2009_.html
Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

I'm with you on FLIGHT 666 buddy, I was at the Toronto and New Jersey shows btw on that dvd

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 12-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
I'm with you on FLIGHT 666 buddy, I was at the Toronto and New Jersey shows btw on that dvd

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
One of the best nights of my life.