Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Dharma Wants You

Trans-Siberian Orchestra -- Tampa, FL -- December 6th, 2009

Well first off, it was my first time seeing them and it was a great show. BUT, there was one massive fail. They promised us a "big hometown surprise" at the end of the show, and told every one to make sure they didn't leave early. Naturally, I figured it would be something Savatage related. Hence, my total shock and disgust when they bring out....JOE WALSH?! It was the biggest WTF ever, and he did two songs with them and it was total garbage. I hate The Eagles, and TSO missed an opportunity to do something cool. Also, TSO should stop covering "Believe" instantly, and replace it with "What Child Is This?"

Anyway, the setlist was...

01. Night Enchanted
02. March Of The Kings / Hark The Herald Angels Sing
03. An Angel Came Down
04. O Come All Ye Faithful / O Holy Night
05. The Prince Of Peace
06. First Snow
07. A Mad Russian's Christmas
08. Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24
09. Good King Joy
10. Ornament
11. Old City Bar
12. Promises To Keep
13. This Christmas Day
14. An Angel Returned
15. Epilogue

--------- End Of The First Set ---------

01. Toccata - Carpimus Noctem
02. The Mountain
03. Believe
04. Queen Of The Winter Night
05. Moonlight And Madness
06. Siberian Sleigh Ride
-- Drum Solo --
07. Wizards In Winter
08. Mozart / Figaro
09. Christmas Canon Rock
10. Requiem (The Fifth)
11. Life's Been Good (With Joe Walsh
12. Rocky Mountain Way (With Joe Walsh)
13. Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24 (Reprise)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

So you hate the fuckin Eagles, man?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Kneeling Whaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
I hate The Eagles
First of all, "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Life's Been Good" aren't Eagles songs. Second, Joe Walsh is a legendary guitar player who only played with the Eagles on 3 of their albums. He was vital in fusing a hybrid of funk and hard rock in the late 60s/early 70s with the James Gang (this technique would later catch on with bands like Deep Purple, and other prototypical heavy metal bands) and even taught Jimmy Page slide guitar. Say what you will about the Eagles, but his solo on "Hotel California" remains as one of the most fresh and cathartic solos charted.

Honestly, he's one of the finest surviving Classic Rock guitar players of this day and age and a hell of a guy to boot, and you're just butthurt that Caffery didn't play material from a band that maybe 3-5% of the audience knows existed...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
First of all, "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Life's Been Good" aren't Eagles songs. Second, Joe Walsh is a legendary guitar player who only played with the Eagles on 3 of their albums. He was vital in fusing a hybrid of funk and hard rock in the late 60s/early 70s with the James Gang (this technique would later catch on with bands like Deep Purple, and other prototypical heavy metal bands) and even taught Jimmy Page slide guitar. Say what you will about the Eagles, but his solo on "Hotel California" remains as one of the most fresh and cathartic solos charted.

Honestly, he's one of the finest surviving Classic Rock guitar players of this day and age and a hell of a guy to boot, and you're just butthurt that Caffery didn't play material from a band that maybe 3-5% of the audience knows existed...
damn sucka u just got served
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post

My personal stance on this argument aside: You don't have to like someone just because of their "influence" on other music you may or may not like.

Second, you don't promise a big surprise and bring out someone from a completely unrelated band that has nothing to do with your own music. It's the same as when Mike Portnoy promises big surprises at Dream Theater shows and brings on the members of the other bands they're touring with. It's unique, yes, but to the grand majority of the band's fans, it's not special. TSO doesn't know how to do anything special aside from bringing out token classic rock musicians and play random cover songs.
How about, instead of doing this crap, along with some of their own mediocre stuff, why don't they actually start playing some of their own great material that they've been ignoring for years while constantly doing the same show every single year.

My TSO rants are kinda lengthy and this is merely a fraction of all the problems I have.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
D.B.B.

damn i wanted to see this
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

If you people actually think that the majority of people at a TSO show go because they are fans of Savatage and not just because it's Christmas music with cool visuals, you are sorely mistaken. That's why it was Joe Walsh.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Kneeling Whaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
It's unique, yes, but to the grand majority of the band's fans, it's not special.
Why don't we ask ourselves if the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is really a band? I'd say it's a cultural event more than anything (hence their performance of the same show each year), and it happens to appeal to fans of traditional heavy metal and beyond all due to the presence of a few people that have happened to have a presence in a few bands of the genre. If Trans-Siberian Orchestra is truly a band, then we should just as well dub Andrew Lloyd Webber as a "Rockstar", no? The principles are all the same.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Lefty Guitarer

I have seen the Trans-Siberian Orchestra a bunch of times now, and I wouldnt mind at all if they did something like this in Toronto. Who cares if its not Savatage related. Are you seeing Savatage? No. Believe is a great song (especialy when sung by Tim Hockenberry) and a nice way to spice things up with a Savatage tune. People who go to see TSO for the majority dont go to rock out and get wasted, they go to hear Christmas music done in a different way than what you hear in commercials, movies, radio, etc. Mostly families go see them, I would say that a very small amount of people go for the Savatage factor. Should they also play some Testament songs? Maybe a Metal Church tune or two?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

You hate The Eagles? What?

Tags
trans-siberian orchestra