Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
a) I guess you didn't read the detailed press release. It's a song Dirk wrote about the passing of his father.

You act as if ballads are automatically a bad thing.
a)

b) It's not that I think ballads are a bad thing, it's that a) Gamma Ray suck at writing ballads, and b) Land of the Free II had plenty of decent songtitles, but the songs themselves for the most part failed to deliver, and this tracklisting makes me fear that they've fucking given up and are going to become Dragonforce-Lite.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
b) It's not that I think ballads are a bad thing, it's that a) Gamma Ray suck at writing ballads, and b) Land of the Free II had plenty of decent songtitles, but the songs themselves for the most part failed to deliver, and this tracklisting makes me fear that they've fucking given up and are going to become Dragonforce-Lite.
a)I hate to disagree with you, but the majority of Gamma Ray's fans think that The Silence is a fantastic song, and many of them quite like Farewell also. I wouldn't say Gamma Ray are great at writing ballads, but certainly nowhere near being a band that I dread doing them.

b) Song titles don't make or break a record. Given the available info, it's mostly all you have to go on at this point, but you shouldn't be passing serious judgment based on songtitles.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
a)I hate to disagree with you, but the majority of Gamma Ray's fans think that The Silence is a fantastic song, and many of them quite like Farewell also. I wouldn't say Gamma Ray are great at writing ballads, but certainly nowhere near being a band that I dread doing them.

b) Song titles don't make or break a record. Given the available info, it's mostly all you have to go on at this point, but you shouldn't be passing serious judgment based on songtitles.
a) The Silence = the sole exception to the rule on a good day.

b) crappy songtitle + substandard music = 10,000 lost record sales.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
a) The Silence = the sole exception to the rule on a good day.

b) crappy songtitle + substandard music = 10,000 lost record sales.
a) Whatever, your opinion, can't say you're wrong, though you can't say you're right.

b) I'd love to know how you figure this one. Outside of the metal community, tracklistings are hardly ever even publicized prior to album releases. Why? Because only metal fans are stupid enough to care about titles and try to place premature judgment on an album by using them.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Let me give you a ficticious example:

"Devastation, Blood and Death" = AWESOME SONG! SO METAL!!!!1!! MUST BUY THE ALBUM!!

"In The Land of The Elves" = gay

I hope this insight into the mind of a metal fan has proven useful, and it should be noted that what either songs sounds like is irrelevent.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Gather round kids, it's story time.

Once upon a time, when I swang from Ultraboris's nuts, he told me about a pretty sweet band named Gamma Ray, and I decided to look them up on youtube. One of the song-titles that came up in the search was "The Heart of The Unicorn." This title made me think "That is the gayest goddamn thing I have ever heard, and Boris probably gives special mention to it as being atrocious*." I was feeling ironic at that moment so I decided to click on the link and wait for the unintentional hilarity to ensued. What did ensue was not unintentional hilarity, what ensued was the ripping out of my heart, the shoving of it up my ass, it going up my digestive system, and me puking it back out again. That is how fucking good that song was. I slowly but surely realized if Gamma Ray can kick this much ass with crappy songtitles, just think of how much ass they can kick with good songtitles! The moral? If you are gonna name your songs something crappy, you better have the music to more than make up for it!

Fuck you and goodnight.

*Upon second checking of his review of "No World Order" Boris doesn't really mention Heart of the Unicorn as being bad. Rather he doesn't mention in at all. But he does say how much Lake Of Tears sucked, and that the first 7 tracks or so were awesome concluding that the album suffers from what he refers to as "Defenders of the Faith syndrome."
Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 PM
In Search of Truth

I'm going to be honest, the fact that you look at anything UltraBoris writes as anything other than comedic, kind of scares me.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

i dunno, ultraboris seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang out with at a show. and his metallica reviews come recommended second to none when it comes to material for trolling their fans.

also, theres a good number of his reviews that are pretty accurate.

edit: also, did anyone ever notice that power metal bands are primarily the only ones who think it important to include songs about their dead relatives on their albums. i can see that as musicians they may want to honor a loved ones memory by writing a song, but at the same time they have to be realistic and understand that no one outside of their family gives a shit and the song will be completely lost on them. im not saying they shouldnt write the songs, but to release them on an album as anything but a bonus track just seems pointless.

Last edited by Div; 12-15-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
i dunno, ultraboris seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang out with at a show. and his metallica reviews come recommended second to none when it comes to material for trolling their fans.

also, theres a good number of his reviews that are pretty accurate.

edit: also, did anyone ever notice that power metal bands are primarily the only ones who think it important to include songs about their dead relatives on their albums. i can see that as musicians they may want to honor a loved ones memory by writing a song, but at the same time they have to be realistic and understand that no one outside of their family gives a shit and the song will be completely lost on them. im not saying they shouldnt write the songs, but to release them on an album as anything but a bonus track just seems pointless.
Why would we care less about this than about a song about LOLMETAL?