Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
N00B

Hey if the dude hates the eagles, then so do I.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
What Child Is This, Back to a Reason
Seriously, these two songs need to be played. Like seriously.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
First of all, "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Life's Been Good" aren't Eagles songs. Second, Joe Walsh is a legendary guitar player who only played with the Eagles on 3 of their albums. He was vital in fusing a hybrid of funk and hard rock in the late 60s/early 70s with the James Gang (this technique would later catch on with bands like Deep Purple, and other prototypical heavy metal bands) and even taught Jimmy Page slide guitar. Say what you will about the Eagles, but his solo on "Hotel California" remains as one of the most fresh and cathartic solos charted.

Honestly, he's one of the finest surviving Classic Rock guitar players of this day and age and a hell of a guy to boot, and you're just butthurt that Caffery didn't play material from a band that maybe 3-5% of the audience knows existed...
Dude, who the fuck are you? Maybe if you'd take Joe Walsh's balls out of your mouth for a few seconds you'd realize that people have other tastes. Did I say Joe Walsh was a shitty person, and has not influenced anything? No, I said I personally hate The Eagles, and it was IN MY OPINION a stupid thing to do at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show. Fuck you.

And secondly, I realized TSO's main audience demographic is older people who are all about Joe Walsh, but come on. They promised us a " hometown surprise " and even specifically mentioned Jon Oliva and others were in the building. I'm not taking away anything from people who like Joe Walsh or whatever, but being a big Savatage fan how can you guys not understand what I am saying?

Last edited by Spiral_Slave; 12-07-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Homebrewing Metalhead

TSO is sadly not directed at Savatage fans or even metal fans. I think its going to be interesting to see how they handle their non seasonal tour in the spring because I think that will be more of a metal crowd.

I have seen them every year for 8 years and aside from one year down here it was always the east coast group. Its always a good show. I definitely think they need to do more vocal songs in their second half. Its gotten way to instrumental heavy. I don't understand WHY they even did The Mountain. Its completely out of place as a TSO song. Its to heavy for their target audience and Chris is a fine guitarist but he can not pull off that song live, Criss could.

Believe is a different story. Most everyone I talked to considered that the highlight of the show. Hockenberry did a really good job. And he especially kills it live. On the album its kind of puzzling, it lacks the emotion that Jon had when he sang it. Live though its there. Yes his voice is different but its equally powerful. I have more of a problem with how they cut out alot of the melodies and leads layered underneath the last half of the song.

Some of the instrumentals they do are useless to. I was really hoping to see them do Mozart and Madness live, hopefully thats one they will do on their spring tour cause I always thought that was Savatage's best instrumental.

I can see why some were upset on the "big suprise" mislead. What with it being Tampa I to would have figured on a Savatage song. (Gutter Ballet with Jon would be awesome). However its definitely true that the TSO audience is much more likely to enjoy them covering some Joe Walsh stuff than doing some old Savatage tunes with Jon or Zak.

Also second the idea that they need to do Back to A Reason Part 2 and or What Child is This. Evans rocks, use him. I didn't miss it but I noticed they finally cut a song from the first half of the show. No more "Promises to Keep" in fact they didn't really have a lead female singer at all this time around. They did a sort of round robin mutilation of Christmas Cannon Rock that I didn't really care for, except for the brunette none of them really were pulling it off.

Last edited by darkguardian50; 12-08-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Kneeling Whaler

Quote:
I don't think I have ever seen more people more missing the point.

Quote:
@ BlackmoreofBowling: How the fuck are you even considering the notion that TSO isn't a band?
As I stated earlier, the basic aesthetics of this collaboration are Andrew Lloyd Webber-style Opera with Heavy Metal and Classical influences. It was once a band, but it's an annual cultural event now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave
Dude, who the fuck are you? Maybe if you'd take Joe Walsh's balls out of your mouth for a few seconds you'd realize that people have other tastes. Did I say Joe Walsh was a shitty person, and has not influenced anything? No, I said I personally hate The Eagles, and it was IN MY OPINION a stupid thing to do at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show. Fuck you.
All I read here was a wall of bitching and crying. I never once said anything negative about Savatage. All I stated was the influence that Joe Walsh had on a much bigger and broader genre, and likewise how his appearance at a performance which boasts much more appeal towards fans of that genre (in addition to many other genres); old and new was significant to that effect. I realize that this is a Metal message board, and that you don't like The Eagles, and that's perfectly fine, but the highest form of ignorance is to dismiss something that you know nothing about. Aren't special guest appearances serve as a matter of not solely upon surprising the audience with greater name value for the show, but ultimately more music and a more enjoyable experience? TSO performances alone accomplish these principles, and special guest appearances are the added bonus.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
In Search of Truth

Random thought directed at those who claim that doing Savatage material is somehow less appropriate than these random classic rock guest spots:

The simple fact of this matter is that you could play nearly any song off of the last 4 Savatage studio albums at a TSO show, and you could convince the entire audience it was one of their own songs. Seriously if TSO were to perform "One Child", "The Wake of Magellan", "Not What You See", "The Hourglass", "The Morphine Child", "Chance", "This is the Time", or "This Isn't What We Meant", they would all fit absolutely perfectly with the aesthetic of the rest of the band's music.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguardian50 View Post
TSO is sadly not directed at Savatage fans or even metal fans. I think its going to be interesting to see how they handle their non seasonal tour in the spring because I think that will be more of a metal crowd.

I have seen them every year for 8 years and aside from one year down here it was always the east coast group. Its always a good show. I definitely think they need to do more vocal songs in their second half. Its gotten way to instrumental heavy. I don't understand WHY they even did The Mountain. Its completely out of place as a TSO song. Its to heavy for their target audience and Chris is a fine guitarist but he can not pull off that song live, Criss could.

Believe is a different story. Most everyone I talked to considered that the highlight of the show. Hockenberry did a really good job. And he especially kills it live. On the album its kind of puzzling, it lacks the emotion that Jon had when he sang it. Live though its there. Yes his voice is different but its equally powerful. I have more of a problem with how they cut out alot of the melodies and leads layered underneath the last half of the song.

Some of the instrumentals they do are useless to. I was really hoping to see them do Mozart and Madness live, hopefully thats one they will do on their spring tour cause I always thought that was Savatage's best instrumental.

I can see why some were upset on the "big suprise" mislead. What with it being Tampa I to would have figured on a Savatage song. (Gutter Ballet with Jon would be awesome). However its definitely true that the TSO audience is much more likely to enjoy them covering some Joe Walsh stuff than doing some old Savatage tunes with Jon or Zak.

Also second the idea that they need to do Back to A Reason Part 2 and or What Child is This. Evans rocks, use him. I didn't miss it but I noticed they finally cut a song from the first half of the show. No more "Promises to Keep" in fact they didn't really have a lead female singer at all this time around. They did a sort of round robin mutilation of Christmas Cannon Rock that I didn't really care for, except for the brunette none of them really were pulling it off.
Great first post, I hope you stick around.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Great first post, I hope you stick around.
Ditto
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
The point is those were not Eagle's songs.

Tags
trans-siberian orchestra