The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Well sure, that's the answer I expected (basically). Where you and I differ is that I went into it execting it to be just decent, and by the time I was done with the first listen, I was literally grinning from ear to ear and saying out loud (with no one else in the room to hear me, mind you...)..."Got DAMN that's a good fucking album!!!".

So attention was demanded on my part, but quite frankly they had me by the third or fourth song. It was hands-down my best "first listen" of the year - bar none - and obviously it's grown on me shit tons more since then.

Oh well - we can't agree on everything. At least I gots Da Tony in my corner on this one.

P.S. - Giant Squid had to grow for me, but this one didn't.
Well that's cool. I'm sure I loved shit this year that you didn't care to hear twice as well. Diff'rent strokes.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Kylesa would maybe not make my top 50 this year.
Oh, and they are SO. FUCKING. GOOD. Live - at least, the whole crowd at the Mastodon show last May seemed to think so. The dual drummers are used to excellent effect, and Laura is just as much of a badass as Phillip on that stage. One of the best shows of the year.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Quote:
P.S. - Laura Pleasants would like to have a word with you about the song "Only One" (among others), with regard to your highlighted comment above.
Mmm. She can have a word with me about anything any time she wants.

And mah penis.
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Mmm. She can have a word with me about anything any time she wants.

And mah penis.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Kylesa's first two albums didn't grab me, either (although I like them more now than I did before). The third album was pretty good. This one is off-the-charts good (at least, I think so). I suggest starting with "Static Tensions" and working your way backward.
Yeah I own the split with Cream Abdul Babar and To Walk a Middle Course. I liked both just not really enough to buy the last 2. Are those the best ones?
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Yeah I own the split with Cream Abdul Babar and To Walk a Middle Course. I liked both just not really enough to buy the last 2. Are those the best ones?
Yes.

IMO, Static Tensions > Time Will Fuse Its Worth > To Walk a Middle Course > Kylesa
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Static Tenstions is probably their best yet, its one of those albums I have had in my mind a lot recently.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
April 28th
Highlights: Bible Black, Eating The Cannibals, Rock & Roll Angel

Probably a lot of people's most anticipated album of the year. Hell, it's probably a lot of people's most anticipated album of the decade! That being said, it's probably a lot of people's biggest let-down of the year. I actually think this album is pretty fantastic if you don't compare it to past offerings from Black Sabbath, and look at it as a doom album instead of a straight-up heavy metal album. The gang's all here on the album and they all sound great, especially Dio, but when doesn't he sound great?

The only fault about this album is that some of the songs are pretty forgettable. The first two songs of the album, "Atom & Evil" and "Fear", kind of plod along, albeit crushingly heavy. "Bible Black" really channels the Black Sabbath of yesteryear and make for a really great, and REALLY heavy, rest of the album.

----

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
February 3rd
Highlights: Shatter Their Bones, Evisceration Plague, To Decompose

If 2006's "Kill" was the album to circle pit to, "Evisceration Plague" is the album to just bang your head to until it's sore. Sonically not that different than their last album, that's awesome for Corpse. This is a killer album, literally and figuratively. The mid-tempo songs are here, the fast songs are here, the time signature changes, the awesome bass playing, the crisp, clear drums...they're all here. This album might be the best Cannibal Corpse album of the decade if it wasn't so hard to choose between this and "Kill". The title track gives "Death Walking Terror" a run for its money for the heaviest song ever live. If Cannibal Corpse can progress past this already fantastic formula for death metal albums, they can easily release one of the best death metal albums ever written. They just have to take that next step, no matter how many they kill in the way.

----

Obscura - Cosmogenesis
February 17th
Highlights: The Anticosmic Overload, Universe Momentum, Orbital Elements

Anyone who is a fan of Gorguts, Atheist, Cynic, etc. needs to check out this band. Tired of too many bands hopping on the bandwagon to make technical/progressive death metal? Here's a band who has their chops and make the music extremely well. If you can stand the unrelenting technicality and can stomach some proggyness in your death metal, this will easily become an album you blast many, many times.

THAT BASS! I love the sounds that come from the bass in this band. Is it fretless? I'm not sure, but at times in channels any wide range of instruments and gives the music a distinct sound that only furthers how good it is. And while they are definitely technical (off the charts in some places) and definitely progressive (clean vox!), they are still a death metal band, and even the purest of pure death metal fans should be able to bang their head to "Cosmogenesis".

----

The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
October 13th
Highlights: n/a

If you couldn't tell by the album cover, The Flaming Lips have released the weirdest album of the year, and the scariest album of the year. Seriously. Don't listen to this album at night with the lights off. "Experimental" doesn't even begin to describe these songs. If you were hooked on the pop/rock hooks of their previous three albums, you'll find seldom of that here. But if you revel in this type of experimentation, you'll love "Embryonic". This is still Lips' material, just extremely experimental with a generally creepy vibe.

The problem with this album is that when The Flaming Lips make "normal" pop/rock records, they are some of the best you'll ever hear. "The Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" topped critics lists time and time again. Not to say that that means "Embryonic" is less than stellar by default, I just can't help but wonder how amazing an album it'd be without all the experimentation. But, it is The Flaming Lips after all. You never know what you're gonna get.

----

Gorod - Process Of A New Decline
June 1st
Highlights: Programmers Of Decline, Splinters Of Life

Upset by the lack of new Necrophagist material? Don't worry, Gorod has it covered. Blistering speed and over-the-top technicality are what you can expect from this album. Where Obscura had the prog part done quite nicely, there is nothing but technical death metal here, and it's executed very nicely. Where Necrophagist might take a breather to throw in some intricate technical interludes, this album is pretty much straight-up headbanging through the whole thing. A couple of notches up on the technicality rating (already at an 11) would jettison this band into legendary status.
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Headbanger

Listening to Obscura now. Definitely different than anything I've ever heard. I'm glad a few people listed these guys early and I had a chance to check them out.

I wouldn't go as far as to say H&H that high is FAIL! but it just means you clearly didn't listen to (or open yourself up to) enough music this year my friend.

I know we all rate cd's differently but shouldn't things like...

Will this cd still be relevant in a few years? Will I ever listen to it again? Will I listen to it when I'm 26 even? cough cough (Anaal Nakrath)

And most importantly... Do I want to hear these songs live? Will then translate well live and be more powerful and memorable?

If you ask yourself those questions, H&H might be Fail! Just sayin'
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Fail is a verb.