Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
sheds on white

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
get out you

I think it's an awesome album. It's like Reign meets Christ Illusion. Good stuff
Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Skeletonwitch is in the exact same spot in my list.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Slayer's my 2nd favorite band ever, so maybe there's a bit of bias.
Don't get me wrong, Slayer's one of my favorites too, but I just was hoping for something a bit better. Psychopathy Red is by far one of the best Slayer tracks in a looonggg time though.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Revocation - Existence Is Futile
September 29th
Highlights: The Brain Scramblers, ReaniManiac, Pestilence Reigns

This is how metal should sound. This amazing three-piece take elements of thrash, death, speed, grindcore, and hardcore punk and mash it all together into one amazing album that everyone should hear. "Existence Is Futile" was released in the latter half of the year, but almost every single song on this album has been burned into my brain by how catchy, how technical, how amazing they sound. In a world where the "next big" metal band just seems to be pandering to another fad for another generation of kids, Revocation comes along and blows the entire scene away. This album has the catchy solo's of the 80's thrash scene, the speed of the hardcore punk scene, and the technicality of every great tech-metal band out there today, but Revocation balances them out so perfectly that one element doesn't drown out the other.

Don't be fooled: songtitles like "Deathonomics" and "The Brain Scramblers" are not campy, gimmicky songs. Revocation is a completely serious metal band. The musicianship in this album can attest to that. They will be meteoric in 2010.

----

Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity
September 15th
Highlights: Your Treachery Will Die With You, Hopeless Insurrection, Conceived Into Enslavement

Dying Fetus has made death metal fun again. Seriously, you will find yourself re-listening to this song many times because of how fresh and enjoyable the songs are. After a few standard albums where it seemed that Fetus was just plodding along, they really have embraced their technical side, just like they did for the amazing "Killing On Adrenaline", and the outcome is nothing short of fantastic. The bass and drum playing here are also of note: they're fast, and they don't miss a note. Really good musicians here.

Dying Fetus is still here. There are tons of chugging riffs, guttural vocals, and insanely fast double kicks, but the technicality to the songs, whether it's a quick riff or an insane solo, really kick this album up to 11.

----

Drudkh - Microcosmos
July 14th
Highlights: The entire album, Далекий Крик Журавлів (Distant Cries of Cranes), Ars Poetica

If you like bands like Temnozor and Wolves In The Throne Room, you'll love Drudkh. They are the best band making this type of black metal right now. And "Microcosmos" is either their best album or their second best (behind "Blood In Our Wells"). This is not an album you can put on while driving down the highway to kill some time. This album requires your full attention, but in return, you get some of the most beautifully crafted atmospheres that black metal can create. What sets Drudkh apart from other types of bands like this, is that they take the atmospheric part of their music a step further and throw in some guitar solos to really spice stuff up. Drudkh has never released a bad album, and this not only continues the streak, but really puts the band high on a pedestal above others.

----

Absu - Absu
February 16th
Highlights: The entire album, 13 Globes, Amy, In the Name of Auebothiabathabaithobeuee

If it wasn't for the fact that my favorite band released an album this year, "Absu" would be far and away my number one album. I haven't gone a week without listening to this album since I've purchased it, and it'll probably stay that way for a long time to come. Absu has decided to step back from the balls-out thrash attack that was "Tara" and definitely lives up to their claim of mythological occult black metal tag they've imposed on themselves. Sure, at this point it's just Proscriptor's band, but the music has never sounded better. There's a certain quality that makes this band sound uniquely mysterious, kind of how Attila Csihar brought that same quality to Mayhem back in the day. There are no "black metal" songs or "thrash metal" songs on this album. They are all "Absu songs" and that's really the best you can describe them. Anyone with even an iota of interest in black metal, thrash metal, or fantastic metal in general needs to pick up this album ASAP

----

Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
June 29th
Highlights: The entire album.

Who didn't see this coming? My favorite band released an album this year. Instant #1.

Anaal Nathrakh takes a step backward with "In the Constellation...", but it turn takes 3 steps forward. This album is the closest they've come to re-creating the perfect misanthropic masterpiece that is "The Codex Necro", but is the best extreme metal you'll hear all year. It's all what you've come to expect from Anaal Nathrakh: black metal, grindcore, death metal, heavy metal, industrial - all of these rolled into one and given its own unique touch with the brilliant instrumentalist that is Mick Kenny and my absolute favorite #1 "how are these voices coming out of a human?" vocalist of all time, Dave Hunt.

Fans of "The Codex Necro" and "When Fire Rains Down..." will find pleasure in the more harsh tracks, such as "I Am The Wrath Of Gods And The Desolation Of The Earth" and "Terror In The Mind Of God" for their raw sounding, extremely aggressive "necro" metal sound, whereas fans of the more "epic" stylings found on later albums like "Domine Non Es Dignus" and "Hell Is Empty..." will definitely like the soaringly epic songs like "More Of Fire Than Blood" and the title track.

A guest musician from the Mexican metal band "Repvblika" does vocals on "Oil Upon The Sores Of Lepers" and it works well with Dave Hunt. Old-school fans will take extreme pleasure in knowing they've re-recorded the awesome "Satanarchrist" which only improves upon the original. And the album closer "Blood Eagles Carved On The Backs Of Innocents" is another sonic torment in the vein of "Pandemonic Hyperblast" that veers so close to pure insanity that it leaves me with chills after it finishes.

I'm left with just two words after listening to this album:

Holy.
Shit.

----

Albums I didn't get around to this year:

Baroness - The Blue Album
Coalesce - Ox
ChthoniC - Mirror Of Retribution
Municipal Waste - Massive Aggressive
Hypocrisy - A Taste Of Extreme Divinity
Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Cobalt - Gin
Asphyx - Death...The Brutal Way
Behemoth - Evangelion
Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus (although it isn't released in the US til January)
God Dethroned - Passiondale
Khanate - Clean Hands Go Foul

Everything else, I really didn't have any interest in.

DVD's up next!
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 12-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Dying Fetus over Revocation eh? hmm....

Whether they'd make your list or not, you should really get to the Blue Album, Evangelion and Gin, because they're all amazing.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Whether they'd make your list or not, you should really get to the Blue Album, Evangelion and Gin, because they're all amazing.

Actually, you missed some outlandishly good stuff this year, bro (but at least you're somewhat aware of it ). I agree with Wine (especially regarding Gin - I think that album is right in your wheelhouse, to be honest), and I would also add Coalesce, ChthoniC, Hypocrisy and Asphyx to the list as well. Plus, there are a whole slew of others, but I guess they would fall into the category of "no interest to Mankvill".

Anyway, I really enjoyed your list. Anaal Nathrakh really knocked the ball out of the park with ...Widow. I haven't heard Absu yet, but I might after your review (and holy SHIT is that album cover tits).

Nicely done, bro.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:38 PM
things are more than just what you see

Not sure I'm really into much of the music on your list, but I really enjoyed reading your reviews. you're a good writer. Thanks for sharing!

9/21: Uproar Festival