4. Justifiable Homicide
5. Blunt Force Trauma
6. Shepherd's Commandment
7. Your Treachery Will Die With You
8. From Womb To Waste
9. Born In Sodom
10. Homicidal Retribution
11. Pissing In The Mainstream/Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog
12. Praise The Lord (Opium Of The Masses)

Dying Fetus: 9/10
Torn The Fuck Apart: 8/10
Obliterate The Apex: 8.5/10
Kuza: 0/10 (worst band I've ever seen live)
Awoken Shadows: 2/10
White Shores: 6/10
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Last night at the Aftershock in Merriam, a rowdy group of metalheads were reminded how seminal death metal band Dying Fetus can still stay just as good in 2014 as they were in 1996: it's the groove.

With a moniker chosen specifically to reject mainstream acceptance, Dying Fetus has blazed a trail in the underground extreme metal scene for over two decades and always staying true to their beliefs - death metal above all. When bands were happy to jump on the grunge train in the early 90s, they were releasing songs called "Bathe In Entrails" and "Wretched Flesh Consumption" and scoffed at the nu-metal explosion in the early 00's with their album "Destroy The Opposition" which might be one of the best death metal albums to come from America. Always comprised of John Gallagher on guitars and with Sean Beasley on bass for the better part of 15 years, the band continues to pump out quality album after quality album, hitting a high point in 2012 with their album "Reign Supreme," maybe a moniker that can be used to describe Dying Fetus' overall career.

The three-piece took the stage with little fanfare at the Aftershock and launched right into One Shot, One Kill, a pummeling deathgrind staple that goes back and forth from lightspeed grindcore shredding to groove-laden death metal breakdowns. The band has a lock on traversing over-the-top technicality in their songs, but always brings it back to slow and heavy death metal goodness - the dichotomy between the two styles might be done the best by Dying Fetus. Taking the stage a little after Midnight, the band stormed through 13 songs in over an hour and sounded great doing it. They hit death metal classics like 1998's "Justifiable Homicide" and 2000's "Born In Sodom," but proved their more recent catalogue is just as great as the old stuff with the inimitable "Your Treachery Will Die With You" and maybe the heaviest song of the night with "In The Trenches" from their most recent album.

No matter which decade or album they were performing from, the crowd ate up every second of it. From second one of the first song, the biggest circle pit the Aftershock has ever seen erupted and was going strong throughout the entire headlining set. There were many people up front singing along with songs (not easy to do with the guttural vocals death metal entails) and even a few crowd surfers. Lots of beer was spilled but everyone had smiles on their face the entire time. By the time Dying Fetus finished and left to chants for an encore, they had successfully laid waste to one of the most rabid crowds in recent Kansas City heavy metal history. Well done Dying Fetus, and well done Kansas City.

Opening the show was a pair of KC's finest death metal bands. Direct support came from Torn The Fuck Apart, recently back from their west coast tour in support of their new album, "Sexually Transmitted Torture." Despite having song titles that I can barely stomach to read, let alone write here, their music makes me want to recommend them to everyone under the sun. The blistering noise frenzy or Repulsion or Napalm Death coupled with the guitar riffs and solos from Cannibal Corpse or older Cancer. They even brought up Jeff from Troglodyte to perform on a few songs he wrote for them, including "55 Gallon Crypt." Always a pleasure to see them live. Before them was Obliterate The Apex which probably turned every single fan at the Aftershock seeing them for the first time into a diehard fan. With twin guitar solo's that would make KK Downing and Glen Tipton melt combined with an old-school, death metal, Chuck Schuldiner-approved assault, they're one of the most exciting local death metal bands Kansas City has had in a very long time. Opening the show was the slightly out-of-place White Shores that made up for their early timeslot by putting on one hell of a performance, including the vocalist performing some songs down on the floor surrounded by the crowd. Their modern approach to the progressive metalcore (or "djent") sound had some surprises thrown in there to keep the crowd on their feet at all time. Very surprising and very deserving of all the praise they'll get in the future (which I think will be a lot).

The Aftershock has been near-perfect lately in their sound duties, and everything sounded fantastic this night. It's very easy to get lost in a wall of sound when bands try to be technical and heavy and it's not easy to make everything come through so clearly, so props to them on that. All in all, a perfect death metal show all around.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 07-13-2014, 02:34 PM
N00B

How was Kuza? lol
Tom Petty
Louder than Life Fest
ADTR/BMTH
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLed19 View Post
How was Kuza? lol
This.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLed19 View Post
How was Kuza? lol
I remember back when I was in 8th or 9th grade, I went to this church because my friends band was playing with a bunch of other bands. It was just a bunch of kids who only wanted to be the next Norma Jean or Underoath. In between bands, to kill time, a bunch of random people got up on "stage" and just strummed some instruments and screeched into the microphones. I think there was an embarrassing attempt at the first 30 seconds of Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste.

That's what Kuza reminded me of.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 07-13-2014, 05:49 PM
N00B

Torn The Fuck Apart is the real shit. If it wasn't for The Trog posting about playing shows with them and Hammer Lord I would of never known how fucking good they are. I'm gonna check out Obliterate The Apex soon based on this review. I don't know what is in the water out there but your state seems to be the breeding ground for some of the best Death Metal around these days.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
The blistering noise frenzy or Repulsion or Napalm Death coupled with the guitar riffs and solos from Cannibal Corpse or older Cancer.
Well that was a lie. I looked up a few songs and it sounds nothing like that.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Well that was a lie. I looked up a few songs and it sounds nothing like that.
HA HA I FOOLED YOU

It probably mostly applies to their newer stuff, I can only find old stuff from them online
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
Torn The Fuck Apart is the real shit. If it wasn't for The Trog posting about playing shows with them and Hammer Lord I would of never known how fucking good they are. I'm gonna check out Obliterate The Apex soon based on this review. I don't know what is in the water out there but your state seems to be the breeding ground for some of the best Death Metal around these days.
Yeah, we make em good out here.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 07-13-2014, 06:28 PM
N00B

Was Kuza a deathcore band?
Tom Petty
Louder than Life Fest
ADTR/BMTH
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper

Tags
dying fetus