In The Name Of God
----------------------
The Count Of Tuscanny
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Sticking with the shitty sets, I see.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 PM
In Search of Truth

Have they really become this stagnant? I mean, maybe it's because I've paid higher-than-normal attention to this tour's sets, but it seems like it's pretty much just the same stuff over and over with just a casual rotation - nothing like what's been seen on previous tours.

By the way - This band needs to realize:
Their music doesn't work in a 90 minute set format. At least not the way they insist on playing it. If they're not going to try to be time conscious and cut out the bullshit solos and jamming in favor of more actual material, they need to ditch these package tours in favor of their own. I know Portnoy thinks he's like god's gift to musical exposure and needs to force all of these bands on DT fans who mostly don't want them, but it's time to give it a rest in favor of giving your fans what they actually want.

Oh yes, and in light of the fact that plans of a spring 2010 US tour were put on hold, partially sighting poor ticket sales / economy issues:
If your tickets weren't twice as expensive as they should be, you wouldn't have to worry about this junk, would you?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
N00B

Tickets for this were originally $130 but for the past couple of weeks they've been selling them for $59.
It was a great show but yeah it didn't quite have the same impact as their 3 hour show from last year. But it was worth it to finally hear The Dance Of Eternity and The Count Of Tuscanny, just epic!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
By the way - This band needs to realize:
Their music doesn't work in a 90 minute set format. At least not the way they insist on playing it. If they're not going to try to be time conscious and cut out the bullshit solos and jamming in favor of more actual material, they need to ditch these package tours in favor of their own. I know Portnoy thinks he's like god's gift to musical exposure and needs to force all of these bands on DT fans who mostly don't want them, but it's time to give it a rest in favor of giving your fans what they actually want.
I find it funny you just called some of dream theaters solos bullshit. Who are you to speak for DT's fans? All of the people I talked to at Prog Nation were very open minded about the bands playin, its a package tour, its also a good way for Dream Theater to not do 3 hour a night shows that would kill most people. They do the evening with format alot still too, this just provides a respite, and a chance for other prog bands to play bigger arenas and get new fans.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
I find it funny you just called some of dream theaters solos bullshit. Who are you to speak for DT's fans? All of the people I talked to at Prog Nation were very open minded about the bands playin, its a package tour, its also a good way for Dream Theater to not do 3 hour a night shows that would kill most people. They do the evening with format alot still too, this just provides a respite, and a chance for other prog bands to play bigger arenas and get new fans.
He's a fan he does have a right to speak of DT's fanbase since he's part of it just like anyone elese who's a fan and has an opinion they want to share. I happen to agree with him. I myself can personally care less if DT wants to introduce new prog rock to their fans I go to the show to see DT play as I do with most bands I go to see headline very rarely do I care or give a shit who openes for them because 95% of the time it's a band you're not gonna be into or care about in the end anyways. At least that's my experience from going to concerts for 17 years now.

The reason some fans used to love DT live(a lot still do) is because they went out there and did a 3 hour show and you could tell they were giving their all each and every night. This is something that they have not done since the tour of 2005. Now fans like myself and many others feel that cutting the show down to 90 mins is showing that DT has lost some passion and the love for giving the fans all the got every night. Plus let's not forget that sometimes, like in this set they don't play anything off I&W. I know i've complained about this before and a lot of the old fans like myself may not still be around but that album was certified gold(their only album to be certified anything in the US) and that album is one of the top reasons they're still around and to not do anything off it live is bullshit.

It just seems to some fans like myself that somewhere along the way DT has stopped caring about what a lot of their fans want from them live and that's to go out there and give a kick ass 3 hour show and leave the fans wanting nothing more. I think fans being OK with the 90 min sets really shows how the DT fanbase has switched to a new generation who accept this 90 min format because they have no clue how great DT used to be live when they did the evening with format. I know they still play well live but something is deffinately missing as far as some of their fans are conserned.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
He's a fan he does have a right to speak of DT's fanbase since he's part of it just like anyone elese who's a fan and has an opinion they want to share. I happen to agree with him. I myself can personally care less if DT wants to introduce new prog rock to their fans I go to the show to see DT play as I do with most bands I go to see headline very rarely do I care or give a shit who openes for them because 95% of the time it's a band you're not gonna be into or care about in the end anyways. At least that's my experience from going to concerts for 17 years now.

The reason some fans used to love DT live(a lot still do) is because they went out there and did a 3 hour show and you could tell they were giving their all each and every night. This is something that they have not done since the tour of 2005. Now fans like myself and many others feel that cutting the show down to 90 mins is showing that DT has lost some passion and the love for giving the fans all the got every night. Plus let's not forget that sometimes, like in this set they don't play anything off I&W. I know i've complained about this before and a lot of the old fans like myself may not still be around but that album was certified gold(their only album to be certified anything in the US) and that album is one of the top reasons they're still around and to not do anything off it live is bullshit.

It just seems to some fans like myself that somewhere along the way DT has stopped caring about what a lot of their fans want from them live and that's to go out there and give a kick ass 3 hour show and leave the fans wanting nothing more. I think fans being OK with the 90 min sets really shows how the DT fanbase has switched to a new generation who accept this 90 min format because they have no clue how great DT used to be live when they did the evening with format. I know they still play well live but something is deffinately missing as far as some of their fans are conserned.
Thank you, good sir.

I am, unfortunately just a young'n who actually only got out to see DT for the first (two) time(s) on the summer tour this year, despite being a fan since 2004, so I can't really speak from experience about the "old days", but the DVDs, live albums, and bootlegs speak for themselves really.

In response to Dextrimental: am not saying I have anything against the band's playing in general, I just would rather not have them and see DT play a longer set. I'm not even asking for a 3 hour show, but for a band who have been known for their lengthy sets and have the material (10 full albums packed with fan-adored songs) to support a great set every night, to do just 90 minutes (in their case, merely 8 songs), which has 3 songs the same every night and the rest merely rotated from a standard base of the same songs... it's just a waste. Especially since they insist on wasting time by jamming and having solo spots. I'm not saying there's anything functionally wrong with these things, but the grand majority of fans would prefer DT played pretty much any random 5-to-7-minute song instead of having this excess junk in the show.

In further response to Sanitarium78: I know what you mean about the absence of Images and Words material, and that sort of thing in general. One thing that has always chafed me about DT is the lack of stability in their live show. I'm not in any way saying any songs should be every-set staples, but it wouldn't kill them to base their rotation off of the album of each song. For example, one night play Pull Me Under, the next play Metropolis, the next play Take the Time, etc. Generally speaking, DT's fanbase considers it their best album (and it is universally hailed as one of the greatest prog metal albums ever, if not the best), to shaft it entirely in many sets while visiting questionable albums instead, it's just not right. The reason why I haven't seen DT until this year is because of the very lack of stability. I knew I was taking a big chance and could get screwed, so I didn't want to see them supporting an album I wasn't crazy about, or when rotating with songs I wasn't too fond of, because when anything you guys, you can't bank on seeing certain songs. It's sort of a double-edged sword of the way their live show works.

Tags
dream theater