Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014
Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
That Guy

Richard Christy's Charred Walls Of The Damned- Debut Album Details!

CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED, the new project led by acclaimed metal drummer Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, DEATH, LEASH LAW, CONTROL DENIED, BURNING INSIDE), will release its self-titled debut album on February 2, 2010 via Metal Blade Records. The CD contains nine tracks, a bonus DVD ("The Making of Charred Walls of the Damned"), and comes in a digipack.

"Charred Walls Of The Damned" track listing:

01. Ghost Town
02. From The Abyss
03. Creating Our Machine
04. Blood on Wood
05. In a World So Cruel
06. Manifestations
07. Voices Within the Walls
08. The Darkest Eyes
09. Fear in the Sky

+ Bonus DVD - "The Making of Charred Walls of the Damned"

"I'm so pumped with how everything is sounding!" Richard says. "I'm so proud of this album and I cannot wait for everyone to hear it." He adds, "We're also in talks right now to play some live shows sometime next year which I'm also extremely psyched about! We also filmed tons of video in the studio which we're planning on doing something really cool with."

The recording sessions for the CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED CD took place at Audiohammer Studios in Sanford, Florida with producer Jason Suecof, who has previously worked with TRIVIUM, ALL THAT REMAINS, BURY YOUR DEAD, AUGUST BURNS RED, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, DAATH, CHIMAIRA, DEVILDRIVER and GOD FORBID, among others.

In the spring of 2009, Christy, former drummer for DEATH and ICED EARTH, finished writing the music for a new project. The music for album began to take shape roughly two years ago, after several years of Richard being on a musical hiatus. And though Richard is mostly known for his drumming prowess, he has also actively played guitar since 1992. The project would come to be named CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED.

Upon completing the music for the album in 2009, Richard began to put together his dream band of musicians whom he considers to be some of the best in the world. Included in this musical collective is Suecof. Richard and Jason have been friends for over ten years and wrote music together for years while Richard resided in Florida. On vocals for CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED is none other than legendary metal vocalist, Tim "Ripper" Owens. Richard and Tim played together in ICED EARTH from 2003 to 2004. Tim "Ripper" Owens' first and most well-known gig was with metal legends JUDAS PRIEST. He currently performs with BEYOND FEAR and YNGWIE MALMSTEEN'S RISING FORCE. On bass guitar for CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED is one of metal's most heralded bassists, Steve DiGiorgio. Richard and Steve played together in the bands CONTROL DENIED and ICED EARTH. DiGiorgio has also performed with DEATH, AUTOPSY, CONTROL DENIED, TESTAMENT, VINTERSORG, ICED EARTH, and is a founding member of technical thrash pioneers SADUS. He is widely renowned for his technical skills, and is one of the very few bass players in the metal scene who plays fretless bass.

CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED is:

* Richard Christy - Drums
* Jason Suecof - Guitar, Producer
* Tim "Ripper" Owens (JUDAS PRIEST, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ICED EARTH) - Vocals
* Steve DiGiorgio (SADUS, TESTAMENT) - Bass

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/charredwallsofthedamned.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM
We're dying on the inside

Oh Jesus Christ another Tim Owens project. Based on that fact and the made-in-MS-Paint cover, this album is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
That Guy

I take it you are not a fan of his Iced Earth albums or of his solo album?

I'm not looking at this at all as a Ripper project. I'm looking at this as Richard Christy's project. I'm so glad to hear him playing again. There isn't much that touches his work on Death's The Sound of Perseverance. That and Steve DiGiorgio is the best bassist in Metal.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I take it you are not a fan of his Iced Earth albums or of his solo album?

I'm not looking at this at all as a Ripper project. I'm looking at this as Richard Christy's project. I'm so glad to hear him playing again. There isn't much that touches his work on Death's The Sound of Perseverance. That and Steve DiGiorgio is the best bassist in Metal.
I like The Glorious Burden, but Ripper's voice has little to do with that. Beyond Fear, his solo album, his Priest albums, his other Iced Earth record, and presumably the Yngwie and Winters Bane stuff, sucks.

And you're right about Christy's performance on TSOP, but do you think with Ripper singing this is gonna sound a thing like that? Chuck pushed him to his limit with that album's technicality, so I doubt it.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
That Guy

I have yet to hear his work in Beyond Fear, Yngwie, or Winters Bane, so I can't comment on those. I actually dug his Vocals on IE's Framing Armageddon. He was pushing his boundaries a bit more.

From what I understand, Christy wrote all the music before Ripper got involved. So that might encourage Ripper to try more Metal, less Power Metal vocals, then again, it might not. I'm just hoping for the best and never let vocals get in the way of great music.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I have yet to hear his work in Beyond Fear, Yngwie, or Winters Bane, so I can't comment on those. I actually dug his Vocals on IE's Framing Armageddon. He was pushing his boundaries a bit more.

From what I understand, Christy wrote all the music before Ripper got involved. So that might encourage Ripper to try more Metal, less Power Metal vocals, then again, it might not. I'm just hoping for the best and never let vocals get in the way of great music.
I like Richard Christy as a drummer, quite a lot in fact, but I chalk his finest work up to Chuck Schuldiner, so I'm skeptical. But I'll still be listening, giving it a shot.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I like Richard Christy as a drummer, quite a lot in fact, but I chalk his finest work up to Chuck Schuldiner, so I'm skeptical. But I'll still be listening, giving it a shot.

The Sound Of Perseverance is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. Likewise, Christy is one of my top 5 favorite drummers. His drumming is what aspire to be able to do at some point.

It's not nearly as good as Death, but his band, Burning Inside, is an incredible Death Metal band. their Self Titled EP released a couple years back showcases Christy's best drumming since TSOP.

I'm actually excited musically about this project. And it's one of the first albums I'll be looking forward to in 2010.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Its got a member of crotchduster. It has to be good.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft; 11-19-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM
N00B

Richard is one of the best prank callers of this, or any, generation
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
In Search of Truth

Not often you find a project where the guitarist is by far the least notable of the musicians. I'll probably check this out, it has the possibility of being something I would like, but excited isn't exactly the word for my feelings.