Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Stryper -- Denver, CO -- August, 1st 2014
Summer Slaughter -- Knoxville, TN -- July 31st, 2014
Lich King -- Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'll take Megalomania out of those three songs.

And I'll take "War Pigs" and "Symptom of the Universe" over all those, ten minutes be damned.
And 'Into The Void' kills them both.

Also, 'Johnny Blade' kicks more arse than anyone is prepared to admit.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Free Bird > You
Here is the problem with Free Bird - and listen up, JRA - this is why you don't know what the hell you are talking about, either:

It is the most overrated rock song, ever. EVER.

I have spent my entire life - or at least the last thirty years - listening to drunken idiots howl away at that song, and most of them don't even know why it is good, or why they like it, or whatever. They just know they are supposed to howl SSSHHHFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEE BBBBBUUUUUURRRRRGGHHHH when it comes on the jukebox at the ol' watering hole, and it has just become ENOUGH ALREADY.

You too will feel this way someday. Trust me. The shit just. Gets. Old.

Fuck that fucking song.

That said, I love to go to smallish metal shows - especially ones that feature stoner metal bands and the like - and howl "FREE BIRD!!!" at an unexpected point in between a couple of songs. It always makes people laugh (mostly because they realize I'm being totally ironic). I cracked Matt Pike up with that one at the Grog Shop a few weeks ago - it was classic.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Here is the problem with Free Bird - and listen up, JRA - this is why you don't know what the hell you are talking about, either:

I have spent my entire life - or at least the last thirty years - listening to drunken idiots howl away at that song, and most of them don't even know why it is good, or why they like it, or whatever. They just know they are supposed to howl SSSHHHFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEE BBBBBUUUUUURRRRRGGHHHH when it comes on the jukebox at the ol' watering hole, and it has just become ENOUGH ALREADY.

Fuck that fucking song.

That said, I love to go to smallish metal shows - especially ones that feature stoner metal bands and the like - and howl "FREE BIRD!!!" at an unexpected point in between a couple of songs. It always makes people laugh (mostly because they realize I'm being totally ironic). I cracked Matt Pike up with that one at the Grog Shop a few weeks ago - it was classic.

So let me get this straight, you hate the song because fratboy types worship it, yet you are one of those guys who yells "FREEBIRD!" at random bands at concerts?

Fuck you
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I was just listening to one of my favorite instrumentals and it qualifies:

Chimaira - Implements of Destruction

Incredible main riff!

Nicely done. I would never have remembered that one.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
So let me get this straight, you hate the song because fratboy types worship it, yet you are one of those guys who yells "FREEBIRD!" at random bands at concerts?

Fuck you
No. You totally missed the point (not that that surprises me).

...and who the hell said anything about fucking FRAT BOYS?!?!?

I was talking about hillbilles and bikers, primarily - which is why you still don't get it. You're a kid. You haven't been around long enough to see what a bane that song has been on society, so as I said, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

...and lastly, the reason why Matt Pike and a whole bunch of other folks at the show laughed when I yelled it is that - as I said above - they realized I was being IRONIC. That's not the same as being one of the people I was bitching about. That would be hypocritical. They get it - you don't. Again, I'm not surprised. All you ever seem to be interested in is being contradictory and picking fights, which is what started this whole sidebar in the first place, and it's why I don't take your posts seriously anymore.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
No. You totally missed the point (not that that surprises me).

...and who the hell said anything about fucking FRAT BOYS?!?!?

I was talking about hillbilles and bikers, primarily - which is why you still don't get it. You're a kid. You haven't been around long enough to see what a bane that song has been on society, so as I said, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

...and lastly, the reason why Matt Pike and a whole bunch of other folks at the show laughed when I yelled it is that - as I said above - they realized I was being IRONIC. That's not the same as being one of the people I was bitching about. That would be hypocritical. They get it - you don't. Again, I'm not surprised. All you ever seem to be interested in is being contradictory and picking fights, which is what started this whole sidebar in the first place, and it's why I don't take your posts seriously anymore.
I lump hillbillies, bikers, fratboys, and ironic behavior all under the same category of stupid. It doesn't matter if it's being ironic or not, the guy who shouts "freebird" is at concerts is still annoying.

So you've had to deal with 30+ years of people ruining a song- my condolences.

As for your last point, why would I pick fights with you? I barely know you. I've been around here for a long time, and I'm sure quite a few people could tell you that I very seldom pick fights, nor do I purposely contradict people for the sake of spite. I may post asinine, immature comments that are usually only funny to me and quite a few failed attempts at humor (my last post being one such attempt), but I'm certainly not an asshole.

Last edited by JRA; 11-06-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:

Fuck that fucking song.
It's not even that the song is THAT bad, it's just that it doesn't deserve one bit of the hype it gets.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
...but I'm certainly not an asshole.
Right. You just marched into a thread that I started for fun, and told me to "fuck you". Twice. Without , or , or or any other attempt to show that you were just kidding.

RRRIIIIIGGGHHHTTT. (Dr. Evil)

EDIT: Oh, and...
Quote:
...the guy who shouts "freebird" is at concerts is still annoying.
Matt Pike disagrees with you.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 11-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
It's not even that the song is THAT bad, it's just that it doesn't deserve one bit of the hype it gets.
Exactly.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:

Right. You just marched into a thread that I started for fun, and told me to "fuck you". Twice. Without , or , or or any other attempt to show that you were just kidding.

RRRIIIIIGGGHHHTTT. (Dr. Evil)

Actually I marched right into this thread and lamented that the song 7th son is a few seconds short of the 10 minute mark, disqualifying it from the proceedings. I then proceeded to, rather than make a shit ton of separate posts....you know what this is fucking stupid. I'm trying to defuse this situation and you just keep escalating it. If you think that a "fuck you" without a smiley is a hate filled insult, you are a moron. I'm done here.