Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Supporting a big act or headlining yourself?

Ok, so, The Haunted recently cancelled a headlining UK run in order to support Slayer on their UK headlining run. Now of course this wrong, and a kick in the teeth for the hardcore Haunted fans who wanted to see their favorite band in an intimite venue do a headlining set.

But it got me thinking, say you have two options for your band, you can support a bigger act, who will play bigger venues and bring in a bigger crowd, or you can headline yourself, playing smaller venues with less advertising, what would you do? I mean the headlining run is your own show, with a longer set list and your own fanbase, but the support slot means playing to more people, and possibly selling more merch etc. too.

Opinions?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Ok, so, The Haunted recently cancelled a headlining UK run in order to support Slayer on their UK headlining run. Now of course this wrong, and a kick in the teeth for the hardcore Haunted fans who wanted to see their favorite band in an intimite venue do a headlining set.

But it got me thinking, say you have two options for your band, you can support a bigger act, who will play bigger venues and bring in a bigger crowd, or you can headline yourself, playing smaller venues with less advertising, what would you do? I mean the headlining run is your own show, with a longer set list and your own fanbase, but the support slot means playing to more people, and possibly selling more merch etc. too.

Opinions?

I can't think off the top of my head of bands who canceled a headlining gig to support another band, but I know that Warbringer went off as direct support for Vader to open for Megadeth.
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I think it would depend on the personal preferences of the band.

Honestly, if The Haunted are huge fans of Slayer, the opportunity to tour with Slayer would feel like a miracle. Imagine being in the band, I would probably rather get the chance to play before FUCKING SLAYER than headline my own shit.

Think of the Metal Masters tour last year. Every single one of those bands could easily have done their own headlining tour in summer. But they didn't, and there's a lot of possible reasons why. It worked out.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Honestly, if The Haunted are huge fans of Slayer, the opportunity to tour with Slayer would feel like a miracle. Imagine being in the band, I would probably rather get the chance to play before FUCKING SLAYER than headline my own shit.
Except for the fact that Slayer's fans are assholes and will boo you off the stage if you aren't them.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Regretting my username

This question was on the LSAT a few years ago.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
D.B.B.

It really depends on which band are offering you the spot
Old 11-01-2009, 01:07 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

True, it does depend on the options for the band, but as far as I know, The Haunted have kept their head above water in the UK with regards headlining shows, and this isn't the unholy alliance so its not like a package tour or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I can't think off the top of my head of bands who canceled a headlining gig to support another band, but I know that Warbringer went off as direct support for Vader to open for Megadeth.
Well that makes a bit of sense, less setlist but way bigger venues and opening for Megadeth would have been a dream come true.

Ps. LSAT?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned Asshole

I personally would choose to put on my own show, since the best shows I've ever been too have been the bands that aren't huge and are at a small, intimate, venue.

But, if someone told me my band was offered to tour with some legendary band who I envy or to play to my own crowd, then I'd have to reconsider.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 AM
In Search of Truth

Based on my own experience, headline. I would rather play to a few hundred people who really knew and loved the music rather than a few thousand who just stood there and bobbed their heads because they had no idea who we were. The support of the audience has a huge effect on the quality of the performance, so I'd much rather play to a smaller, more enthusiastic audience.

I should note that this excludes Maiden. If the opportunity were ever on the table, I would take it without a moment's hesitation.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Another thing to take into consideration is how popular the band is in a particular area. Obviously a band like The Haunted might not have too much of a problem getting people into an appropriately-sized venue, but the choice is between playing to a few hundred fans, most of which are already familiar with your music, or playing bigger venues with a larger amount of potential fans in the audience who then might come out when you tour there again doing a headlining tour (and such more profitable in the long run).