Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thumbs up Russian Circles - Geneva

Well, here is another album review that is WAY overdue...

---

The third LP by Russian Circles is, in a word, more of a grower than the previous two - but if you hang in there and stick with it, this album will yields some pretty impressive moments.

Now, I realize that this opening comment may sound a bit like a guarded recommendation, but in fact I totally love this album. It's just that it took me longer to appreciate its full beauty and merit than Russian Circles' previous two releases, and the reason for this is rather simple. Both "Enter" and "Station" were pretty straightforward in their awesomeness. Tracks like "Death Rides a Horse" and "Station" just leap out of the speakers, grab you by the throat and choke you right the fuck out. These tracks are rather direct in their power to destroy.

Now don't get me wrong. Geneva has a track like this, too - it is the title track. Here is a quote that a very smart character with a rather odd sense of humor posted last month in the "Now Playing" thread:

- Geneva
- Geneva
- Russian Circles

- In a feat of deadly precision and extreme solidarity, all three members of Russian Circles have simulataneously just
- roundhouse kicked you square in the jaw at the same time. You fall to the floor, limp. Chris Tucker runs over to you,
- bends down and gets right in your face, and screams, "you just got knocked da fuggout!!!" Then he runs away.

- Russian Circles bends over and looks at you, curiously. They say nothing. They never do. They don't have to.

- Then, they turn and look at each other, nod their heads to one another in seeming approval, and quietly walk away.

- Yeah, that just happened.

But seriously, much of the remainder of the album is much more subtle than this. Tracks such as "Fathom" and "Malko" are also directly powerful, but all of the other material is comparatively subdued (for the most part). However, the less brutal songs are, as is often the case with this band, some of the best material on the album because of their sheer beauty.

Case in point: Melee. The opening moments of this song just make me want to weep sometimes. The stick-clicking technique that drummer Dave Turncrantz employs here (and it's not the first time he has, either) is just as catchy as it is technically impressive. Then, the violin enters. Yeah, that's right - fucking violin - and before you go thinking that this song is weak because I said that, you'd better listen before uttering such heresy. Just in case you were wondering, this album also features cello, trumpet and trombone, and each of these decidedly "non-metal" instruments is utilized to perfect effect (a tribute to the songwriting talent on display here).

These guys have always been masters at creating catchy rhythms, soaring melodies, gradual crescendos, crushing climaxes and beautiful interlude sections before crushing your skull yet again with the next emotional maelstrom that waits just around the corner. This album shows Russian Circles just simply getting better and better at this.

True, the eye of the storm in the center of the album (the beautiful "Hexed All") is no crusher, and the second "half" of the album - or the next three tracks - really contain only one powerhouse track ("Malko"), but I think the "in like a lion, out like a lamb" formula works just as well for me here as any other pattern would have.

I mean, basically, this unbelievably skilled trio from Chicago makes me FEEL something huge every time I listen to any of their albums, and Geneva does this no less than the two albums before it. Never having uttered a single word, Russian Circles has repeatedly blown me away with their beautiful, crushing art. You need to listen to this album.

Peace,
Nat
Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
N00B

Nice Feels more like your standard mellow instrumental rock album than the first 2, mainly cuz there's less guitar tapping melodies which are kind of their trademark (Death Rides a Horse, Harper Lewis, etc). It is executed expertly with memorable songs however, so I definitely dig it. Do you like God is an Astronaut? They're the other band I listen to when I wanna get into this kinda vibe. Mono is aite too. Explosions in the Sky and the like bore me to tears though.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Nice Feels more like your standard mellow instrumental rock album than the first 2, mainly cuz there's less guitar tapping melodies which are kind of their trademark (Death Rides a Horse, Harper Lewis, etc). It is executed expertly with memorable songs however, so I definitely dig it. Do you like God is an Astronaut? They're the other band I listen to when I wanna get into this kinda vibe. Mono is aite too. Explosions in the Sky and the like bore me to tears though.
GIAA and Mono are both awesome. I also like EITS, TWDY, Caspian and some of the more post-rock oriented stuff (like Mogwai). I listen to it when I'm falling asleep sometimes.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
GIAA and Mono are both awesome. I also like EITS, TWDY, Caspian and some of the more post-rock oriented stuff (like Mogwai). I listen to it when I'm falling asleep sometimes.
Can't tell you how many times I've listened to Far From Refuge falling asleep. Also dig the Red Sparowes, forgot to mention them.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Can't tell you how many times I've listened to Far From Refuge falling asleep. Also dig the Red Sparowes, forgot to mention them.
Oh, HELL yes. BTW, they are recording a new album - should be out in Spring 2010.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
N00B

Quote:
Oh, HELL yes. BTW, they are recording a new album - should be out in Spring 2010.
Yee! That's good, about one new album per year in this vein is perfect for me
Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Yee! That's good, about one new album per year in this vein is perfect for me
Well then your cup should runneth over this year, because the new Pelican (released last month) is also very good.

EDIT: The new Caspian is also good. It is decidedly less post-rock and closer to post-metal than their previous two albums - kind of like a cross between Russian Circles and Isis (although they spend less time on the heavy side than Isis does).

Last edited by Natrlhi; 11-11-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 AM
We're dying on the inside

Yeah, I didn't really like this nearly as much as the first two. But I'm sort of falling out of love with post-rock lately anyway. I still love all the stuff I already loved, but it's tough for new stuff to grab me since it's a fairly hard genre to innovate in.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah, I didn't really like this nearly as much as the first two. But I'm sort of falling out of love with post-rock lately anyway. I still love all the stuff I already loved, but it's tough for new stuff to grab me since it's a fairly hard genre to innovate in.
How many spins were you able to give it?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
How many spins were you able to give it?
I ended up listening to the whole thing twice and I revisited "When the Mountain Comes to Muhammad" a couple more times because I really liked that one. But yeah, it's probably not them, it's me.