Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Unearth -- Ottawa, ON -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, ON -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014

Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

It's not that it's cool to not like Metallica, I don't care about that pre-notion. It's that the record, as Dextrimental put it, is very long winding and gets old quickly. The mixing blows, the drums blow, and it's just not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I think Megadeth's new one is better, just my opinion.

And to go back to the Slayer thing, as I said in the beginning, I don't care what the haters have to say, it's fucking Slayer, suck it! They've always stayed true to their roots, granted some albums have been less good than others. I will never understand how Christ Illusion is seen as so bad, but I'm clearly in the minority, so I'll take the flaming, I don't care.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Yeah, I don't think Death Magnetic is as good as Endgame at all. A lot of the songs are too drawn out in DM, and the production is pretty bad. Both are good though.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Up The Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Yeah, I don't think Death Magnetic is as good as Endgame at all. A lot of the songs are too drawn out in DM, and the production is pretty bad. Both are good though.
Listening to Endgame now. Hardly stopped playing it since I bought it (except to relisten to Rust In Peace once again! )

I havent heard the new Slayer album yet, although it is on my shopping list ... hope it is as good as both Megadeth and Metallica's Death Magnetic (not bad for a comeback album, hey?!?!)

Rammstein Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da is next though (heard some good reports already)

Only wish Slayer were bringing Megadeth to the UK with them
10 Aug: Megadeth (Bloodstock Open Air)
Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Endgame > DM

BTW they totally ripped off Bruce Dickinson by making a song about Unit 731
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Endgame > DM

BTW they totally ripped off Bruce Dickinson by making a song about Unit 731
They wrote a song about the same subject, how is that ripping off Brucey? If the song had the same feel to it, and the lyrics were overtly similar, than Id agree, but its Slayer, and its Bruce Dickinson, two completely different ways of writing a song and putting it together..
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
They wrote a song about the same subject, how is that ripping off Brucey? If the song had the same feel to it, and the lyrics were overtly similar, than Id agree, but its Slayer, and its Bruce Dickinson, two completely different ways of writing a song and putting it together..
when one of the biggest names in metal writes a song about a pretty specific topic its safe to say that other bands should just stay away from that unless they want to be constantly compared. makes it seem like slayers run out of brutal historical massacres to sing about.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

This album was kind of a letdown. It is pretty good and its on a Christ Illusion level but its still just not anything too great.

Also my opinion on the Endgame vs Death Magnetic battle. Personally i think Endgame blows Death Magnetic out of the water. DM is by no means bad but Endgame is a fantastic record and i think it has better riffs,solos and overall just much better songs than DM.
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

just finished my 2 nd listen, ---> MASTERPIECE , possibly

one thing is certain, Endgame and Death Magnetic are not even close to this

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
when one of the biggest names in metal writes a song about a pretty specific topic its safe to say that other bands should just stay away from that unless they want to be constantly compared. makes it seem like slayers run out of brutal historical massacres to sing about.
But Bruces solo stuff is nowhere near as big or well known as Slayers. And its Slayer vs. Bruce Dickinson, theres no comparion, completely different bands. I doubt they're running out of massacers, they saw this one, which is more likely, 'this is interesting lets write about it' or 'Bruce Dickinson wrote about this, lets rip him off'..
Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Headbanger

My 1st time listening to this cd I agreed with your review almost to a T. The fast songs were epic and some of the others seemed like filler almost. In true Slayer fashion the 4th time was the charm. I love this cd now. Slayer has always been an acquired taste and people who don't get them, really don't give them a chance to sink in.

The 1st time through certain things really bugged me. The "wankery" solo in the title track, the annoying beginning riff to Playing With Dolls and the commercial beginning to Americon to name a few. Funny how after a few listens those things don't bother me now.

I knew 3 songs in that this cd was going to be in my Top 10 and it's Top 5 all day long for me. It takes a few spins but trust me, it's worth it. As good as Endgame is, it's missing the tenacity this cd has. I really like certain songs on Endgame but songs like the title track are plodding and redundant to me. If you're going to play the same riff for 6 minutes make it a riff like Overkill-Skullcrusher that never gets old. Both Top 10 cd's but as usual I have Slayer over Megadeth. Actually I was thinking about it driving into work today. I think I'd have every Slayer album rated slightly or way over every Megadeth album going in chronological order. As much as I like Megadeth, only Peace Sells vs. Hell Awaits would even be really close. Maybe a good topic for a thread...

That being said did anyone else notice the "Mustaine" vocal delivery in certain parts of WPB? I really noticed it in latter stages of the title track. Interesting
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction