Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
We're dying on the inside

How do you use extreme music?

http://decibelmagazine.com/Content.aspx?ncid=334832

I found this blog entry very interesting but forgot to share it with you all when I first read it, but I started thinking about it again today for whatever reason. Obviously, there are aesthetic and purely sonic reasons that we listen to heavy metal, but are there emotions that you associate with metal? Does it help to pump you up? Calm you down? Is there a balance? What experiences have you had with music helping you in the emotional realm?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this subject.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I listen to a lot of death metal / grindcore when I work out - it pumps me up. Sometimes this is not good though, like when I listen to Pig Destroyer, because I end up hurting myself. -ouch

I like to listen to post-rock when I go to sleep. It chills me out. Two of my favorites for this purpose are This Will Destroy You and Caspian.

I listen to alternative / progressive metal when I'm feeling pensive. Tool is probably the best example of this, although there are many others (Burst, Mastodon, Cynic...).

Sometimes I just have some aggression I want to get out (and I can't get to the gym), so I'll throw on something heavy and bombastic like Baroness or High on Fire.

I like to throw on some Clutch when I'm playing poker. I don't know why. I just like it. Sometimes I'll throw in Full Fathom Five when I have some of the guys over for a game - it messes with the guys who don't like metal and throws them off their game - and the ones who like it - well, we all just jam out together and have a good time!

EDIT: Cool article - that made me think of Cobalt right away. Some guys (and gals too) listen to music to get them psyched up for their soldiering duties - Phil McSorley MAKES extreme music in order to deal with the reality of his situation. No wonder the shit's so dark.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 10-22-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 PM

For me it's less conscious than it used to be, but in junior high I remember consciously listening to certain songs and albums in certain situations. Before a basketball game, for example, I would spin Cowboys from Hell, and if I needed to build some quick confidence to talk to a girl on the phone I'd listen to "Back in Black". Painkiller was on at the gym, and when the girl I needed "Back in Black" to talk to inevitably pissed on my parade, "I Don't Believe in Love" was there to pick up the pieces.

Now, I'm so steeped in metal that I don't have to look for occasion to play it (save for the fact that I don't listen to anything slow at the gym - that would be stupid), but I imagine this would be pretty different if I was in the military, which is a point the Deciblog post brings up.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Visualize perfection

I like listening to The Great Southern Trendkill while working out. And if I'm listening to a band that I'm going to see live in a few months I imagine already being there, headbanging and singing a long, and I get really excited and pumped up.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
EDIT: Cool article - that made me think of Cobalt right away. Some guys (and gals too) listen to music to get them psyched up for their soldiering duties - Phil McSorley MAKES extreme music in order to deal with the reality of his situation. No wonder the shit's so dark.
You're really going to like one of my blog entries come December. Without giving too much away, it will address just this for a large portion of it.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Mainly to alter consciousness and as a cathartic tool, but also to accentuate moods and in certain occasions to "get pumped up". My understanding of 'extreme music' is as a specific degree or quality of Rock within the broader sense of 'heavy music'.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I've never really thought about it, I usually just listen to whatever the hell I feel like listening to at the moment, heavy or not.

Obvious exceptions are for working out, in which case it needs to be heavy music or I get distracted/lose motivation. Actually, it's not so much that it needs to be heavy so much as it needs to be energetic (i'll take some funk over some doom metal in this scenario).

Other than that, yeah... I don't necessarily listen to heavy shit when I'm feeling aggressive... No matter what mood I'm in, it doesn't really overlap with what music I'm in the mood for. There's a few obvious exceptions... if I were pissed off, I would certainly throw on Killing Is my Business instead of Dark Side of the moon... But I could easily take lay down and rest while listening to Master of Puppets My 'music mood' and actual mood don't often overlap.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I usually just listen to whatever I feel like no matter what my emotions are at the time. There are some times when I pick specific music though, at night I'll listen to something easy on the ears like Agalloch (especially The White EP), Carrie Underwood, or Taylor Swift.

When I run I listen almost exclusively to Maiden. A couple reasons for that, one is that it's so easy to get lost in Maiden's music and take my mind off how many miles I have left. Frequently as I run I start to daydream, in a sense, about being at the show and seeing the song I'm listening to performed live or I'll pretend that I'm actually Bruce and I'll imagine how I would be performing the song (silly, ain't it). That usually puts me at a nice place of consciousness where I'm aware of my surroundings but I can block out some of the pain. Nicko also provides some nice pacing to try and keep up with (live versions of Iron Maiden are a good example of this). I also like the emotional intensity that I feel in a lot of Maiden songs, when I'm reaching the hump of my sprints (like 35 seconds into the minute) hearing something like the the pre-chorus to The Longest Day gives me that extra mental boost I need to finish strong.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Interesting article.

I listen to heavier stuff, like Lamb of God and PanterA when I need to boost myself up, like getting a confidence boost before a party, or simply after I've gotten out of bed in the morning and going to college it helps me kind of start my day, to keep moving.

I listen to lighter stuff if I'm at home just chilling, like writing some poetry/lyrics or doing assignments, or having people over, the playlist is two thirds soft stuff to suit the demographic.

Emotionally, if I'm feeling beat up or down, I listen to softer stuff, then get progressively heavier with it, the music lifts my mood that way. And if I'm working out or doing some heavy lifting around the place, its heavy heavy stuff, usually very angry too, as the anger, specially when I'm working out, gives me the energy to hit my target for that day.

Then when I'm walkin around, or just at home with nothing to do, I'll spin whatever comes to mind, essentially just putting my iPod on shuffle
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Mostly, extreme stuff is for when I don't want to/can't sing a long. So if I'm concentrating on something like work or whatever, or when I'm listening on the train etc.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka