Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I gotta jump in here. I was waiting until I had a chance to listen to all of these again and form my own ranking before commenting, but all the recent slamming of Leprosy is going to pre-empt all that.

First of all, I'll go ahead and admit my bias now - I grew up on SBG and Leprosy. That being said, even though I am somewhat biased, I cannot fathom the statement that Leprosy is their "worst" album. Its most major shortcoming is that it ends too quickly - it is shamefully short. But in a way, that is really a compliment to the content that is there - in other words, to me, every song is just so damn good that the party is over with too quickly and I am left just wanting more.

Every song on that album is heavy and brutal as hell. There is not a boring moment on it. Every album after that - bar none - has at least one moment or two where Death kinda gets off the brutal track and into the overly progressive stuff just a little too much to the point that my attention tends to wane. Now this isn't saying I don't like progressive metal. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. I love bands like Mastodon and Burst, and especially Cynic, which is not only very proggy but also composed of former members of Death. It's just that the proggy stuff can sometimes get a bit esoteric and uninteresting if the band playing / writing it isn't careful.

Leprosy, on the other hand, is Death before they went this route, and it is just pure brutal perfection for eight short tracks. Every song is a Death classic. I mean, "Pull the Plug", "Open Casket", "Choke on It"? C'mon! These are some of the best of the best (not only in terms of Death, but in terms of death metal overall, and heavy music in general)! The title track (and thus the album) opens with one of the best death metal screams in musical fucking history. That one was and is a timeless classic for all eternity (RIP Chuck). He never quite equaled that again (except maybe at ~3:12 in "Left to Die").

Also, the Leprosy album - perhaps due to its timing more than anything else, but still - was and is a genre-defining moment in death metal. Period. You'd really be hard-pressed to find somebody that disagrees with that statement, I think. The lyrical content and musical style exhibited there set the stage for, and were imitated by, so many other death metal acts that came afterward, that it's not even funny. Thus, I have to say, Leprosy in its own way just oozes merit, and there is just no way it belongs at the bottom of the heap of Death's albums. Just no way. You don't have to place it on the top, but it certainly doesn't belong on the bottom, either. At least that's my opinion.

[/rant]

EDIT: Oh, and Chuck's vocals on Leprosy are among the best they ever were as well. I don't like his vocal style as much on some of the later stuff.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 10-22-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

EDIT: Oh, and Chuck's vocals on Leprosy are among the best they ever were as well. I don't like his vocal style as much on some of the later stuff.
Really? I'm pretty much in love with the singing on The Sound of Perseverance.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Really? I'm pretty much in love with the singing on The Sound of Perseverance.
Yeah, not for me. I guess it's a matter of taste (like so many other things that far too many people on here consider as "fact" ). I just grew up on the deeper timbre of Chuck's earlier vocals, and to me, the later albums almost "don't sound like Chuck" (although they obviously are). I will give you this - the production value of the albums generally got better as time progressed - so the vocals do "pop" more. There's something to be said, though - I think - for having a little bit of gravel in the production for certain types of metal (case in point - bigtime - is Carcass). For Necrophagist or Origin, on the other hand, that's the last thing you want. It just depends on what the artist is trying to accomplish.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 PM
N00B

I like Symbolic best too, followed by The Sound of Perseverance, Human, SBG, Leprosy, and the others. All are primo.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:38 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I like Symbolic best too, followed by The Sound of Perseverance, Human, SBG, Leprosy, and the others. All are primo.
lol surgical
Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
lol surgical
Surgery With Soul