Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Megadeth - Endgame

Ever since hearing "Head Crusher", I had a lot of hopes for this album. I thought the song was full of what Megadeth could bring out, thrashy riffs, thrashy beats, and thrashy vocals. I thought it was an awesome track immediatlely upon release. Then "1320'" came out, and I thought it was another good track, not as good as HC, but still good. And THEN, the title track came out. It was such a different style than both HC and 1320', and it just reminded me so much of Countdown-ish tempo and vibe, I loved it a lot. That's really why Megadeth are my favorite band, they've practically released different records each time, instead of rehashing the same thing every time (note the word practically, because recently a lot of it has been following the same sort of formula, but compared to plenty of other bands, I think they're doing just fine). Anyway, 44 Minutes came out after that as well, and I thought it was cool, even though it was a big ripoff of the "Domination" riff. And very recently, I found information that the album had leaked, and me being the pirate I am, it is now on my computer . It opens with "Dialectic Chaos" that opens with goes into a riff that reminds me a lot of "Into The Lungs Of Hell", really cool track. Then it goes perfectly into "This Day We Fight!", which is a really cool thrashy track, and the mid-section is so god-damned heavy! "Bite The Hand' is really melodic, especially at the verse. Reminds me a lot of a "So Far..." track, just with better production . "Bodies" also has a really catchy groove to it, with a great harmony towards the end. "The Hardest Part Of Letting Go...Sealed With A Kiss" is an interesting track. It always sounded like a ballad, and I thought it would be, but I didn't think it would be good. Not just because I'm that guy who "doesn't like ballads and they aRe PHail", just because I didn't think Megadeth could really pull off a ballad, especially since they had totally rehashed "A Tout Le Monde", which was so unoriginal of Dave. I thought this one was really good though, the beginning is pretty emotional, has the nice chord progression and some nice vocals over it. Then it gets like almost "Cryptic Writings" like with some keyboard in the background, definately sounds like a track that could have been off of CW, which isn't bad for one track. The ending goes back to that mellow style too, ends with a cool orchestral outro. I just hope this doesn't become some stupid single/video that becomes the next big thing (not that I think it will). Overall, good track, I appreciate it and it thouroughly surprised me. "How The Story Ends" is a track that definately sounds like it came from an outtake of the UA sessions. That track took a couple of listens to really get into for me, but in the end I got it well and enjoy it as well as the others. The closer, "The Right To Go Insane", is a slower track reminiscent of "Youthanasia", very vocal driven with a sorta repetitive riff following the verse. The chorus is awesome, really memorable for me. And the whole last minute has a thrashy vibe, ending the album with a nice little bang. Also, fun thing I noticed first time I heard the end of the song, the very first riff that the fan club was able to hear is at 3:27 and 3:55 . Pointless fact, I know. Overall, I think that the album is what I was expecting: really strong and solid, good groundwork, but nothing new. As I said before, recently Megadeth have been following a similar formula with some tweaks here and there. Some fast tracks, more mid-tempo ones, and in every track at least a "thrashy" section, etc. To sum it up with no detail, it's pretty much a better "UA" in my opinion. Heavier (not that always necessarily means better, but in this case it does for me), faster, more emotion, better really. A solid record, definately up in my top 10. We'll see towards November how this fares with "Evangelion", "Crack The Skye", and when it's released, "World Painted Blood". I'll end it with props to Dave for releasing another solid, enjoyable record

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 08-31-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

A better UA? Everybody here hated United Abominations.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
A better UA? Everybody here hated United Abominations.
Not everybody.

I am looking forward to hearing Endgame.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 PM
N00B

endgame

after two listens through i think this cd is a really good album and chris broderick is a beast in this cd. To me mastodon and alice in chains are the only ones that can beat it.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

AHHH WALL OF TEXT
Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Megadeth being my favorite band of all time (even put them on my CLASS RING) I have to say, after 7-8 full listens, it's my 3rd Favorite Megadeth album.

If you are a Megadeth Fan on ANY level you will like this. Like Thrash? You got 2-3 Solid Tracks of it, Like The 90's Era? Oh there is plenty. And even the slow tempo song is made memorable by the fact the message is touching and the music to support it, a real winner if you go into the track wanting to just enjoy music.

Tracks that stand out for me: 44 Minutes, Bite The Hand, Endgame, Headcrusher, The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed With A Kiss, How the Story Ends, The Right to Go Insane.

Endgame, the song, sounds like it will open their shows.

Basically the whole album is great and an easy to listen through.

As my top 5 Megadeth Albums Rank Currently:
Youthanasia
Rust In Peace
Endgame
Countdown To Extinction
Cryptic Writings

(NOTE* My favorite style of Megadeth is the 90's Style. This may hold bias over my whole little review, but seeing how all Megadeth is Good Megadeth to me, minus So Far... and The World Needs, this is a great album, BUY IT!)
Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Megadeth being my favorite band of all time (even put them on my CLASS RING) I have to say, after 7-8 full listens, it's my 3rd Favorite Megadeth album.

If you are a Megadeth Fan on ANY level you will like this. Like Thrash? You got 2-3 Solid Tracks of it, Like The 90's Era? Oh there is plenty. And even the slow tempo song is made memorable by the fact the message is touching and the music to support it, a real winner if you go into the track wanting to just enjoy music.

Tracks that stand out for me: 44 Minutes, Bite The Hand, Endgame, Headcrusher, The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed With A Kiss, How the Story Ends, The Right to Go Insane.

Endgame, the song, sounds like it will open their shows.

Basically the whole album is great and an easy to listen through.

As my top 5 Megadeth Albums Rank Currently:
Youthanasia
Rust In Peace
Endgame
Countdown To Extinction
Cryptic Writings

(NOTE* My favorite style of Megadeth is the 90's Style. This may hold bias over my whole little review, but seeing how all Megadeth is Good Megadeth to me, minus So Far... and The World Needs, this is a great album, BUY IT!)
It's nice to see someone enjoys this album a lot. People that I've spoken to seem to thing it's worse than Risk, or that it's one of their worst albums, which is absurd to me in every which way. This album is awesome, and I agree with most of what you said (except you missed "This Day We Fight!" in your staples and you implied So Far is a bad album). I think this album is really awesome, it's already been growing on me for the past day or two that I've had it.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I am also going to agree that this is a fine album. IMO probably the best thing they have done since Countdown, last couple albums had a few decent tracks but were still not that impressive. A few of the tracks that stand out for me was This Day We Fight, Endgame, Headcrusher, love the solo in the middle of 1320. Wow for some to say that it's worse than Risk are probably the same people that are still stuck in 1985.

Haven't got in what I would say is a good listen yet. Downloaded it and will definitley be buying on the 15th when it comes out. My faith in Megadave has been restored. Still really hoping for that Megadeth/Slayer tour when/if it comes around this fall.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM

The people who said it was terrible are friends of mine who have a basis that Dave Mustaine can't sing anymore (even though he arguably sounds just as close to how he did "back in the day" then he's ever before) and that there is not enough fast, thrshy tracks. They all enjoyed Headcrusher a lot, at 1320 they lost a little bit of interest, and once the title track came out they thought it was terrible and lost hope. Incomprehensive logic for me, but I ain't losing sleep.

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 09-02-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

I find So Far... their worst album on the basis there are 2 good tracks and the rest and hard to follow, it's odd it comes between Peace and Rust.