Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

I guess people cant be happy with the sets they get Metallica plays THE SHORTEST STRAW the first time since 97 and people still complain.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 AM
None ov thy empty Gods shall ever stand above me

Quote:
There are bands that make a new album and play maybe one or two songs from it. What's the point of that?
And there's Metallica that makes a new album and play 6 (six !!!) songs from it. For fuck's sake it's the same length than the entire Gojira's set !

Don't get me wrong, I like their new album, but I think everyone agree it's not as good as their classic stuff, so what's the point of playing 6 songs from it ?

At least they didn't played my apocalypse ...
Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Headbanger

WOW. 1 song doesn't make a setlist. I know Shortest Straw is a fan favorite and I love it but I've been with Metallica since No Life til Leather and I wouldn't have been happy with this setlist. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6 at best.

Remember we see all the setlists they do so having a healthy debate isn't a bad thing. To say someone is crying or whining is idiotic in all reality.

Personally I'd rather hear ANY song off Kill em all other than Seek and Destroy. Add in the cheesy sing-a-long and they could play Phantom Lord AND Metal Militia to reward the old school crew.

Creeping Death should be in the NEM slot as a staple played every night. And for god's sake mix up the DM stuff. The 1st time I listened to the cd I thought Judas Kiss was the best song and still do to this day.

No one is arguing that you don't get your money's worth with Metallica but with them selling cd's of their shows and posting their own setlists you would think they wouldn't be posting setlists that make it seem they're just going through the motions. Just my 2 cents.
12/10 - Chevelle
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Creeping Death should be in the NEM slot as a staple played every night

7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Concert Veteran

I like DM and if the songs are getting a good reaction live I understand why they would do six off it. If they weren't getting a positive response to them they'd probably only 2 a night off it like they did during the St. Anger tour. That being said I think they should not open with the DM stuff and open with two old songs instead. Make something like Blackened/Creeping Death or Battery/FWTBT the opening one, two punch for the show and leave 4 spots a night for DM songs and just rotate them every night so all the songs they've been playing off it this tour still get in the set. It should really be the new stuff that gets rotation not the old staples. But no matter what we say it isn't gonna change the bands mind at all.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Headbanger

No need to complain. Their US setlists are always like this. The Europe set lists are a huge contrast to these. The turnout, response, crowd participation and the overall atmostphere is much better at European shows thats why they are rewarded with the older classics. Copenhagen was sold out five nights in a row. I can't imagine that being the case with any city in North America.

When I see videos of Europe, I feel that everyone in the crowd is getting involved in the show. Here in the US when I go to shows, I see 90% of the crowd eating nachos and drinking beer, sitting comfortably in their seats. And you expect the band to play their rarest songs for such crowds??

This is just how I see it. I'm neither European nor American. I will continue to go to their shows because I love their music, but I wish to see them in Europe at least once to get the REAL Metallica experience.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
No need to complain. Their US setlists are always like this. The Europe set lists are a huge contrast to these. The turnout, response, crowd participation and the overall atmostphere is much better at European shows thats why they are rewarded with the older classics. Copenhagen was sold out five nights in a row. I can't imagine that being the case with any city in North America.

When I see videos of Europe, I feel that everyone in the crowd is getting involved in the show. Here in the US when I go to shows, I see 90% of the crowd eating nachos and drinking beer, sitting comfortably in their seats. And you expect the band to play their rarest songs for such crowds??

This is just how I see it. I'm neither European nor American. I will continue to go to their shows because I love their music, but I wish to see them in Europe at least once to get the REAL Metallica experience.
I with you on the European crowds. Not only with Metallica but with every other band they are way more passionate but to think that they get better sets because Metallica is "rewarding" them for being like that really makes the band look like a bunch of assholes if that's truely the case.

I'm not sure where you've seen them here in the states but in November it'll be my sixth time and i've never once been to a show where 90 percent of the people where just "sitting there comfortablely with beer and nachos". Every show i've been to from them the people are into it from begining to end cheering and singing along as loud as possible.

To think that Metallica would not do a song like Creeping Death that should be in every night without question because the crowds here don't act as good as they do there doesn't make sense. You should be rewarding your fans for coming out period. No matter if the reaction is better somewhere else to a certian song. The one thing in this whole debate we've forgotten to mention though is that they record and offer a download of every show off their site and in order to get people to buy them they switch the sets most nights and that's the real reason why the sets are the way they are.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Headbanger

I wasn't talking about Creeping Death. I was talking about the set lists in general. Even I saw them six times last year. I didn't feel the same vibe as what you are talking about.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
I wasn't talking about Creeping Death. I was talking about the set lists in general. Even I saw them six times last year. I didn't feel the same vibe as what you are talking about.
I know you weren't talking about Creeping Death at all I was just using the song as an example of something that should be in every night. What cities did you see them play in last year? I haven't seen them since 2004 so maybe the dynamic with the audience has changed and they're aren't as into it anymore. I'll deffinately pay more attention to that when I see them in November. Another reason people maybe more into here in Buffalo than other places is because over the last almost ten years now we get less and less big name shows coming here and Metallica is one of the few bands who still come here every tour so maybe people here are more up for it because of that. AC/DC is playing here next month for the first time since 1996 just to give you an example of how it goes around here with big time shows. I could see fans in the larger cities like NY or LA having a "whatever" attitude when they go to see a band because they get the major shows all the time.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Headbanger

yea i agree. u must be right about the Buffalo part. I saw them in LA (X3), San Diego, Ontario and Tucson.

Tags
gojira, metallica