Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Or maybe not. But I did, and I'll bet you five bucks this ends up in the top ten - if not five - of at least half a dozen well-recognized lists (and I'm talking published here, not us trolls here on the ol' board ) for the best albums of 2009. I betcha.
Ok, fine. Wouldn't surprise me at all. It's got enough people here who like it. Tegan & Sara's album had enough people who liked it. Death Magnetic was on many people's published top 10's so there you go.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Rush. They might not have been hard-hitting 100% of the time, but when they chose to hit hard, they hit hard with the best of them.
Rush is awesome, but like you said they didn't hit as hard as Tool does on a consistent basis. I also think Tool is more introspective with their lyrics, and I like that. Rush's themes are far more generalized. Just a matter of taste, I guess. But basically, Tool and Rush are two very different bands that are both awesome (to me) for very different reasons.

...and by the way - I was addressing Mankvill's comment. I thought you liked Tool...?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Death Magnetic was on many people's published top 10's so there you go.
Not mine. Ew.

(I liked it, but top ten...um, no.)
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Opeth are definitely not black anything.
You're right. More symphonic than black. Some people equate the two, though (the people who compare Cobalt to Opeth, for example) - not that they're right .
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Too bad. They are extremely talented musicians. Danny Carey is widely recognized as one of the best drummers alive, for example. But, to each his own, I guess. Taste differs from person to person, but I don't consider myself to be particularly easy to please, and I think they are close to being musical geniuses (collectively). Who the fuck else can construct such intricate songs with time signatures shifting all over the place; deep, meaningful lyrics and all the while make it sound so smooth and unified, yet so heavy-hitting at the same time? If you can tell me who, I'm listening...

Thought not.

They may have some douchey fans, but hey - what band of their stature doesn't? This means nothing to me.

It's their music that I love - as well as their intelligence and talent. I'm sticking with Tool, and I'm sticking with Cobalt. They are two different bands, but they can both channel their anger about the things they find wrong with this world in such an interesting way that they will have a fan in me for good - regardless of what anybody else says.

I'm done.

I just can't get over Maynard's terrible vocals and every song seems the same to me and goes on too long. @_@; progressive self-indulgence maybe?

I really can't stand bands who people describe as "chill" and I think Tool is like the metal version of "chill" if that makes any sense.
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 09-17-2009, 10:45 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Who the fuck else can construct such intricate songs with time signatures shifting all over the place; deep, meaningful lyrics and all the while make it sound so smooth and unified, yet so heavy-hitting at the same time? If you can tell me who, I'm listening...
Dream Theater, circa Images and Words would like to have a word with you.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I just can't get over Maynard's terrible vocals and every song seems the same to me and goes on too long. @_@; progressive self-indulgence maybe?

I really can't stand bands who people describe as "chill" and I think Tool is like the metal version of "chill" if that makes any sense.
Obviously this boils down to taste, then, because I think Maynard's vocals are actually pretty good (although I like Adam and Justin's guitar work and Danny's drum awesomeness the most). Obviously we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. As far as the "chill" description, I have never heard that term applied to Tool, so I couldn't comment on that. I'm not even sure what that would mean in the context of Tool. Trippy? Yes, at times (and I like that). Introspective? You bet. Chill? Not in my mind. How can a band be considered chill when they smack you in the face as hard as Tool does (at least a good deal of the time)? So anyway, I guess we just don't agree on Tool. No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Dream Theater, circa Images and Words would like to have a word with you.
Another prog metal classic, to be sure. They have the intricate song structures, no doubt. Musicianship? Top notch. Lyrics? I wouldn't really know, but I expect they get a check mark here, too. But heavy hitting as Tool? I think we can both agree there is a huge disparity there - so that's where my comment kicks in. I like Tool because they have all of the above, and they pummel you about the head and shoulders (and brain, really ) all the while. DT is awesome, but they don't do that. Not like Tool does. That's all I'm saying.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
N00B

Natrlhi is like the wise old man of the forums
Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Natrlhi is like the wise old man of the forums
My wife would agree with one of those two adjectives.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 PM
N00B

Quote:
My wife would agree with one of those two adjectives.