ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
Yeah, the site's still focusing on this year's installment, which is going on right now. The lineup was announced via video after Crimson Glory's set last night.

@Maiden33 - Yeah, I get what you're saying. Of the 12 bands, I know and like 8, and haven't heard the other 4 yet, so pretty nice lineup as far as my tastes are concerned. Plus, y'know, still reeling from the fact that Tarot is playing.

And, looking at it on paper, the lineup's pretty good (IMO, anyway) - but that's never where it ends. Still two more days to be announced. Plus other rabbits Glenn decides to pull out of the hat - special sets, guest appearances, etc etc. What may not seem like the most travel-worthy lineup yet to some might change with more announcements to be made.

The Artmore hotel (formerly the Granada Suites), which is the closest hotel to the venue, is apparently being blocked exclusively for PPUSA next year. During the festival, it's apparently going to be just attendees, crew, and some of the bands (who are going to be split across three hotels). All floors, all rooms - just ProgPower.
Yeah, I saw the announcement about The Artmore. I'd love to stay there, but I can only assume it's not the most economical hotel, it looks super-nice and relatively expensive. Chances are the hotel is the one thing I will skimp on considering I don't care where I stay, I just need a bed for 4 nights.

And I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of Wednesday and Thursday. I'm hoping they don't fuck around and wait until like early next year to announce them because a good show either night should take me from 95% to a full 100%. I'd love to see someone like Bloodbound or something on one of the other nights.

I'm just particularly upset with the headliners. The other bands are always a gamble because everyone likes different bands and you can't ever have a perfect roster. But the headliners should've been more special. Kamelot tour the US so much it's not even remotely special to see them, and I honestly don't think more than half of the respectable prog/power community even cares about Hammerfall anymore. I think given a year in which Redemption and Blind Guardian will be supporting new releases, and Masterplan is back together with Jorn, they could've probably done something better.
If I had to guess, I'm guessing this is a result of them having to go so out of their way to finally get Nocturnal Rites and Tarot, which people have been begging for for years. There's a couple of a huge surpries on this list, so I guess they had to play it safe with the headliners.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Hotel-wise, I'm hoping to be able to stay at the Artmore, but will have to see. I wouldn't be rooming by myself, so it's a cost I'd be splitting with a few people, so it might work out. But, really, more concerned about the show.

It's never fucking around that causes the announcements to come so late. It's securing the bands - the Showcase announcement got pushed back multiple times because of having to secure the bands. But you never know. Bloodbound would be awesome, have to agree.

I see what you're saying about the headliners, though. Hammerfall - eh, I think they're fun, so no complaints. That was my exact thought about Kamelot (even if I haven't seen them before). However, since it's not really common for a band who tours the US even at the level of frequency as Kamelot to play, I've got a feeling there's going to be a gimmick of some sort - maybe an album played in full (Before they pulled out a few years back, Nevermore was meant to do "Dreaming Neon Black"), maybe an especially long set (Evergrey did a marathon set of I think 3 hours a few years ago), or something else entirely. I might be completely wrong, I think something might get pulled out of the hat.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:

Friday
Illusion Suite

Saturday
Paradox
Tarot
Great bands, but never seen them.

Quote:

Friday
Stormwarrior
Seventh Wonder

Saturday
DGM
OK bands, never seen.

Quote:

Friday
Kamelot

Saturday
Hammerfall
Great bands, average live.

Quote:

Friday
Tyr
Good, and good live.

Quote:

Friday
Nocturnal Rites
Awful live.

There ends my assessment. All in, I'd probably go on Saturday, but Friday is weak. Only really Illusion Suite I'd really care about, with a couple of the others as bonuses but not worth travelling for. Saturday for me would be entirely about Paradox and Tarot. The rest are icing.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
If we decide now that we're both gonna do this, it makes sense to book a room together, especially if you're coming alone. We'll have to talk about it.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

I'm at ProgPower X right now. Orphaned Land just finished and I'm anxiously awaiting Pagan's Mind. Had my picture taken with Nils and Ronny of PM. I'll post it later.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
I'm at ProgPower X right now. Orphaned Land just finished and I'm anxiously awaiting Pagan's Mind. Had my picture taken with Nils and Ronny of PM. I'll post it later.
Awesome. How were Orphaned Land? Had I gone, they would have been my third most-anticipated band (behind PM and Sabaton).

Enjoy PM. They're so awesome live.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Awful live.
You are the only person I know who has seen Noc and thought they were anything less than fantastic. They still sit #1 atop my desired to-see list, and I have every intention of making this trip almost entirely for them. If they offer individual day tickets I may actually just buy for Friday and go home on Saturday. The only bands I really care about are Nocturnal Rites, Seventh Wonder, Stormwarrior, Kamelot, and possibly Illusion Suite. I wouldn't mind seeing Hammerfall or DGM, but I wouldn't drop an extra $60 + additional charges just to see them.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

They always do individual day tickets closer to the time if it hasn't completely sold out with weekend tickets.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Quote:
Awesome. How were Orphaned Land? Had I gone, they would have been my third most-anticipated band (behind PM and Sabaton).

Enjoy PM. They're so awesome live.
Orphaned Land was great. I only knew a couple of their songs before I went, but I defenitely want to check out more of their stuff.

Coincidentally, Orphaned Land is in the same terminal as me at the Atlanta airport. I saw them checking in and I just saw a couple of them in the starbucks.

Pagan's Mind was worth the 4 year wait to see them and Fates Warning was awesome.

I'll post a PM and FW set list soon.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
I am proud to announce the addition of Leaves' Eyes to the ProgPower USA XI roster. They will be performing on Friday night following Stormwarrior. Details on their set will be announced when the new ProgPower USA website is launched in a few days.

Please note that there will be no additional ticket charges nor will any other bands have their set times cut. This is a bonus for all attendees.
Figured anyone interested in attending would want to know. I've heard some bad things about LE live, but I'll still give them a shot. Cool of him to give us the extra band. According to another post made, doors will open 45 or so minutes earlier to accommodate for the additional band.