Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Lich King -- Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thumbs up Isis -- Wavering Radiant

Well this thread is certainly WAY overdue. I don't know why I procrastinated this so long, but I guess it really doesn't matter in the end. As long as this here album review gets writ, that's the important part.

So, where to start about this highly anticipated album? Well at first, my expectations were rather guarded because I heard that this one was going to be more melodic (or was the word Aaron Turner used in the interview I read, "orchestral"?). As it turns out, this may be true - but only in parts. In other parts, it may be the most crushing album yet by this phenomenal band.

The end result of these two polar extremes being exhibited on the same album is that I would say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Isis has shown more dynamic range on this album than any other. And that's saying a lot, because frankly that is probably what these guys are known for the most.

So in other words, Isis has basically outdone themselves yet again.

I also like that the production on this album is notably less clean than their previous album "In the Absence of Truth" (which I also liked a great deal). This really works for Isis, and I think Aaron Turner knew it would. He was quoted as saying that this album is "closest to what this band actually sounds like", or something to that effect, and I think I would have to agree. Don't misunderstand - this album is extremely well-produced. It's just that is isn't super-slick clean like the previous album was. Isis sounds best with just a little bit of "grit" left in (at least IMHO).

So anyway - to wrap this up - I think this may be Isis's finest work to date. I really enjoy the sonic range on display here, and the plentiful crushing moments are linked together quite masterfully by many smooth passages as well. Isis truly knows how to craft not only epic songs, but epic albums - and they are showing themselves to be a very mature and stalwart band within a genre which has much fine competition within it. Another awesome album by a truly phenomenal band.

Highlights:
Threshold of Transformation
Ghost Key
Hall of the Dead

Nat

Last edited by Natrlhi; 08-26-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Is there no love for Isis on this board? This surprises me. :scratchhead:
Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Really good album, definite top 10 contender.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM

That's more like it.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Is there no love for Isis on this board? This surprises me. :scratchhead:
Love 'em all up til this one, just didn't clicked. They ran their course I think.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
We're dying on the inside

I think it's a shame that of the genre they basically fathered, they're one of the least memorable bands. All their albums are solid but none have made my top ten lists. They play competent post-metal but all the innovators came after them.

EDIT: @ Addi's sig --->
Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM

I do agree that there are many innovators in the post-metal genre that are kicking major ass these days (and more power to all of them).

I find it a little hard to swallow that Isis has become "not memorable" or "has run their course". I know it's my thread, and so I'm basically expected to say this, but I really believe what I'm saying. Wavering Radiant may not strike everyone as the album of the year, but I have talked to many a post-metalhead who thinks that it may be their best album yet.

I suppose there is no accounting for taste - at the end of the day, you either like it or you don't. I liked it - still do. It may even be somewhere in my top ten this year, but December is a long way off, and there is still some mega-good shit coming on the horizon...

Nat

P.S. - Isis was also one of the best live shows I saw this year as well - if we had a year-end list for shows, it would be up there in the top rankings for me as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Definitely not my favorite Isis album, but probably around 3rd favorite after Oceanic and Panopticon.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

They made their unique contribution to the world of heavy music with Oceanic, which coupled with their consistent quality level throughout their career makes them one of the definitive bands of modern heavy music. No one else does the peaceful-brooding-quiet/crushing-slow-LOUD thing as well as them except for Neurosis. No one has taken that sound anywhere since Oceanic anyway including Isis themselves, so for that alone they deserve much praise and respect.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Definitely not my favorite Isis album, but probably around 3rd favorite after Oceanic and Panopticon.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
They made their unique contribution to the world of heavy music with Oceanic, which coupled with their consistent quality level throughout their career makes them one of the definitive bands of modern heavy music. No one else does the peaceful-brooding-quiet/crushing-slow-LOUD thing as well as them except for Neurosis. No one has taken that sound anywhere since Oceanic anyway including Isis themselves, so for that alone they deserve much praise and respect.
...and yes.