Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Dharma Wants You

I've given it three full listen now, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
We're dying on the inside

The amount of praise some of you guys are giving this is pretty ridiculous. I'll be keeping a level head and my expectations low when I listen. I liked "Head Crusher" a lot and found "1,320'" and "Endgame" to be not so great. Right now it's on pace to be just like UA with one or two great songs and a lot of shit.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 09-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

This album is awesome. IMO best they have done since Rust In Peace.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
The amount of praise some of you guys are giving this is pretty ridiculous. I'll be keeping a level head and my expectations low when I listen. I liked "Head Crusher" a lot and found "1,320'" and "Endgame" to be not so great. Right now it's on pace to be just like UA with one or two great songs and a lot of shit.
Look man, it's just opinions, leave us be. And not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I could definately categorize some of your album descriptions as ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
Look man, it's just opinions, leave us be. And not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I could definately categorize some of your album descriptions as ridiculous.
Sigh, I dunno man. I'm gonna listen to it but old bands putting out stuff that is allegedly as good as their classic stuff...doesn't happen. Just because it's Mustaine doesn't make it great.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Sigh, I dunno man. I'm gonna listen to it but old bands putting out stuff that is allegedly as good as their classic stuff...doesn't happen. Just because it's Mustaine doesn't make it great.
In regards to old bands making stuff better than classics, for the most part I agree with you completely. But I don't care what Mustaine says in terms that this is his best record since Rust, or whatever else. I just really like it and enjoy it for what it is, not just because Mustaine wrote it. Pretty much like any other band really, just cause it's Megadeth doesn't make the album any better worse, the only thing that determines that is the music. Only time I "care" about what bands say about their album is before it comes out, and even still I loosely care.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
In regards to old bands making stuff better than classics, for the most part I agree with you completely. But I don't care what Mustaine says in terms that this is his best record since Rust, or whatever else. I just really like it and enjoy it for what it is, not just because Mustaine wrote it. Pretty much like any other band really, just cause it's Megadeth doesn't make the album any better worse, the only thing that determines that is the music. Only time I "care" about what bands say about their album is before it comes out, and even still I loosely care.
Yeah. I'm gonna listen to it but I'm not too into the band in general anymore, and I have very little patience with the melodic metal thing they're doing now. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Lead Singer of Atlas

End of the day I wouldn't say it's the best thing since Rust, but it fills in the same "ness" of the records of the 90's. If I had to put it somewhere where it COULD have been in their career... Between Rust and Countdown, Countdown to Youth at the very least, nothing later. Most of the album falls into that area, where you do have one ot two that could be a mix of Writings and The World Needs.

I give the album a solid 8.75 out of 10. It's not 9 or higher, because only Rust and Youth have had that kinda effect on me.

P.S. Don't albums tend to be good to some more than others based on their personal idenity more than "if you like the band then you'll like this?" I just thought of that. I love Megadeth, but overall, not a fan of Thrash.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM

I'm reviewing this for Weekend, the weekly entertainment supplement to the daily campus newspaper. First full listen commences now.

EDIT: I'm on the instrumental intro and this is already better than United Abominations.

EDIT2: That wasn't bad at all. It didn't rock my world but it made me mostly forget UA and my first reaction is to give it something like a B- (the rating scale here is A to F, which is stupid). "Head Crusher" is still probably the highlight.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 09-07-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Here's my review in its still untouched by my editor form. Limited to 150 words so don't bitch if I didn't mention your favorite song.

"Coming on the heels of 2007’s insipid United Abominations, any new Megadeth studio album would sound like a return to form, but frontman Dave Mustaine wouldn’t permit himself to be satisfied with that. Thankfully, the product is the best Megadeth album since Youthanasia dropped in 1994. In contrast with the middling melodic rock that plagued their last five albums, most of Endgame is honest-to-God thrash metal in the vein of what made the band famous in the first place. “This Day We Fight!” opens the album on a heavy note and lead single “Head Crusher”, written about a medieval torture device of the same name (iron maiden, anyone?), is the best song they’ve written in over a decade. The epic title track and obligatory ballad (“The Hardest Part of Letting Go…Sealed With a Kiss”) see Mustaine baring his soul to mostly positive results. Megadeth is back with a vengeance, and there’s nothing you can do."