Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Headbanger

Dream Theater -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 29th, 2009

I did this show as a photographer and had a total fuckin blast!!!

Here's the set list:

1. A Nightmare To Remember
2. A Rite Of Passage
3. Guitar Solo
4. Hollow Years
5. Prophets Of War
6. Solitary Shell
7. Keyboard Solo
8. Beyond This Life
9. Drum Jam with drummers from all opening bands
10.Guitar Jam with Steve Vai and Dweezil Zappa
11.The Count Of Tuscany

Review and pro-quality picture slideshow at https://www.fullmetalrock.com/Dream.html

Last edited by andrew_metalhead; 08-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 PM
In Search of Truth

THIS is what's wrong with Dream Theater. I don't think I've ever seen it so blatantly obvious to me.
Nearly every one has commented negatively about how short DT's sets on Prog Nation '09 have been, that 90 minutes just isn't enough. The band has merely been able to squeeze in 8 or 9 songs a night, and that's all. So, when they finally get a chance to do a show with a longer set, what do they do? Fucking solos galore. I know the band thinks they are god's gift to musicians, and I do not intend to knock them... but we know how good they are. We don't need to be beaten to death with even more wankery than they can cram into their actual songs. The average Dream Theater fan doesn't care about a drum or guitar duel and would MUCH rather see at least ONE more song instead.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 AM
the wicked path

This is still a PN set, it's just the last one. So they made it extra shpeshul by inviting all these guest musicians.
25-27 Jun: Graspop?
5-7 Aug: Wacken Open Air
Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

So instead of doing four extra songs they do a keyboard solo a guitar solo and a drum and guitar jam.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Concert Veteran

I can understand a solo or a little jam or two if you're playing longer but this is rediculous. You couldn't have invited those guys from the other bands to jam on some of your own songs? Instead you give the fans something they really don't wanna see at all. What does a drum jam with the other drummers prove? Is Portnoy trying to show off he's better than the other drummers on the tour? We already know that do a drum duel with Neil Peart if you wanna really prove something but then Portnoy would look like the lesser drummer so why would he.

As much as I love them i'm not gonna go see them live until they get their shit together when it comes to the setlists. Why the hell would I pay good money to see them with no garuntee that they'll do anything from I&W and Awake? Either they don't care what their fans think or they've completely lost touch with the fanbase and don't know what people wanna hear from them anymore.

Wake the fuck up guys
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I know the band thinks they are god's gift to musicians, and I do not intend to knock them... but we know how good they are.
That's what happens when you go to Berklee.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 PM
N00B

I was there and I was extremely disappointed. I'm pretty sure they wasted around 30 minutes doing pointless jams. I wouldn't have minded it if they didn't cut any songs, but that's obviously not what happened. I've been following the setlists and I knew not to expect anything spectacular, but this was just a waste of my money. I was hoping for at least one song off Images and Words or Awake. I would have even been satisfied if they played Trial of Tears or Lines in the Sand, but Hollow Years is one I don't care for too much.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderjp View Post
I was there and I was extremely disappointed. I'm pretty sure they wasted around 30 minutes doing pointless jams. I wouldn't have minded it if they didn't cut any songs, but that's obviously not what happened. I've been following the setlists and I knew not to expect anything spectacular, but this was just a waste of my money. I was hoping for at least one song off Images and Words or Awake. I would have even been satisfied if they played Trial of Tears or Lines in the Sand, but Hollow Years is one I don't care for too much.
I don't blame you at all. I skipped this tour there's just no garunte that the set you'll get will be any good or not. Which is a shame because of how many great songs they have. But them ignoring I&W and Awake on several shows this tour has me confused. You gotta play something from your most well known material. I saw them in '05 and '07 and both times the songs that got the best response where off I&W, Awake, SFAM and 6 degrees. They know what people wanna hear but they're just being dicks for whatever reason and not playing them. I don't wanna hear that they're bored with certian songs that's absolute BULLSHIT. The songs on those four albums aren't really that old so that's a cheap excuse.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 08-30-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
That Guy

I guess I just don't see the problem here.

I have seen DT the last 4 shows in MN and the only song they have repeated was In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1. DT are my favorite band and I'm happy to say that I can go to a DT show and most likely will not hear the same song I heard the last time I seen them.

I'm also a big fan of supporting bands on a tour. For one I discovered most of my favorite bands thanks to seeing them open up for the headlining band. And 2nd, if a band plays more then 2 hours I tend to want to want to hear something else. Of course the first show I seen them was the 20th Anniversary tour (Octavarium tour) and that is an obvious exception. Also seeing Rush on the Snakes and Arrows tour is a huge exception.

I've come to realize that you just gotta be happy with what you get. Did MN get the best setlist of the tour? Of course not. But I'm in no way disappointed. I got to see In The Name of God (one of my favorite DT songs) for the first time. I got to meet John Petrucci after the show by the buses, and I got to hang out with BigElf for a good 20 minutes by the buses.

And besides, it's not like this is the farewell tour, they will be back in the States in the Spring. And with the label Inside Out being picked up by Century Media, there is a very good chance Pain Of Salvation will be on that tour.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderjp View Post
I was there and I was extremely disappointed. I'm pretty sure they wasted around 30 minutes doing pointless jams.
The jams were not "pointless".

I enjoy jams and solos as much as I enjoy songs. I don't see why people should complain SOOOO MUCH about it.

Tags
dream theater