Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Heaven and Hell -- Columbia, MD -- August 23rd, 2009

The perfect way to close out the weekend. Me and my best friend, his little sister, and his dad were the first ones in line, but before the gates opened I was getting really antsy because I knew there were a bunch of hardcore C&C fans that were first in line at the other gate and there was NO WAY IN HELL Coheed fans were getting front and center for the metal gods. So once the gate opened I sprinted through the venue, down the stairs, and was the first into the pit! Grabbed the exact same spot I had for Priest, dead center. My buds made it down and grabbed the spots next to me so we all had the best seats in the house. It was the first time any of the three of them had been on the rail for a show so they couldn't believe how close we were.

Eventually Coheed came on and they were awful. It wasn't that the music was inherently bad, like some openers I've seen (BFMV opening for Maiden in 06) but every song sounded exactly the same. The riffs were boring and the vocals lost their unique factor after the first song was halfway over. They fucked up the lyrics to The Trooper, and then they closed the set by imitating gay dolphin mating calls. I dunno what the hell they were playing, the guitarist was blowing into a tube and the singer was messing with a giant magnet-looking thing, but I literally laughed at how stupid and pretentious the whole spectacle was.

E5150 came trickling out of the speakers a little while later and we knew we were in for something great. The band hit the stage and it was so awesome to be right there next to them (all the other times I've seen them I've been back in the seats). Dio ran up to the front of the stage and extended his hand right towards me. I thought he wanted to shake hands but he kept his horns extended so I followed suit and we touched horns. He then proceded to do the same with everyone around me. That was a great feeling, especially cause I was the very first one he did it to. I'm not gonna go through it song by song but the set was great. Dio was in fine form, even better than on the Metal Masters. Time Machine sounded much better than last year too (it was only the second time they'd played it when I saw them last year so it wasn't as smooth as the other songs). The new stuff translated live very well and they even extended Bible Black. I hadn't seen that discussed on here before. Dio added some extra verses to the end of it, although I'm not sure what he said. One funny thing that happened was during Geezer's bass solo in Time Machine, Iommi was hanging out near the center of the stage and everyone near him kept looking at him and yelling "Tony, Tony" and he just laughed and shook his head and pointed toward the soloing Geezer. They seemed to be having a lot of fun onstage even though I saw Iommi grab his injured hand a few times and he looked like he was in pain.

One of the highlights of the night was the red light and smoke during H&H, Dio looked straight up demonic in the glow of those lights. He was snarling and staring right at all of us in the front row, what a freakin sight! At the end of the set I got one of Iommi's picks which was what I had been hoping for all evening. I felt kinda bad though because, just like me, my best friend's favorite guitarist is Tony and he didn't get a pick. If I had had a second one I would definitely have given it too him.

Before the show my buds talked about how this may be the last time we see Black Sabbath in a looooong time, maybe even forever. I hope that is not true but if it is, at least we had a great last show.

1. E5150
2. Mob Rules
3. Children Of The Sea
4. I
5. Bible Black
6. Time Machine
7. Drum Solo
8. Fear
9. Falling Off The Edge Of The World
10.Follow The Tears
11.Guitar Solo
12.Die Young
13.Heaven And Hell
-------------------------
14.Country Girl/Neon Knights

About the complaints of a short set, I left the place feeling like I got my money's worth. It feels a lot longer when you're there than it looks on paper.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Some of those songs are fairly long so I understand what you are saying about the length. Glad to see Falling Off the Edge of The World and Die Young in there!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
Some of those songs are fairly long so I understand what you are saying about the length. Glad to see Falling Off the Edge of The World and Die Young in there!!!
funny thing about setlist and reading this everyone always wants different songs..haha...can't make everyone happy...the two that you are happy about are the ones I would have liked changed out....I have seen falling and die at every H&H show since 07....would love to see "Voodoo" or "turn up the night" instead of "Falling" and how about "Lady Evil" or "Lonely is the word"...
but in all i saw Cincinnati and it was great just to see them still playing. and yeah this may be the last time who knows. Hope they do a farewell tour before they go and really change up the set....
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggus View Post
funny thing about setlist and reading this everyone always wants different songs..haha...can't make everyone happy...the two that you are happy about are the ones I would have liked changed out....I have seen falling and die at every H&H show since 07....would love to see "Voodoo" or "turn up the night" instead of "Falling" and how about "Lady Evil" or "Lonely is the word"...
but in all i saw Cincinnati and it was great just to see them still playing. and yeah this may be the last time who knows. Hope they do a farewell tour before they go and really change up the set....
They were doing Voodoo, Lady Evil and Lonley Is The Word when they first got back together but they dropped them not too long after that. I'd like to see Computer God back in the set and maybe Master Of Insanity or TV Crimes. Dehumanizer is one of my favorite albums ever so anything they add off of that i'd love. I would also love to hear a few more off TDYK like Atom & Evil and Double The Pain. I think they would've actually played longer this tour but it turns out that Iommi has been working with some hand problems for about a year now and needs to have surgery when the tour is done. Maybe that'll explain why the set was cut short over the last year compared to what it was in '07.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
In Search of Truth

TV Crimes is pretty much the one song everyone wanted that it just seems retarded that they haven't done yet.
I personally would really go for seeing Wishing Well myself.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Hm. There's actually still some pretty good seats left for Friday's show in Boston. Haven't seen them since the tour with Alice Cooper, it'd be nice and I have some extra money.

Might end up going.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Sign of the Southern Cross should be there and then it would be damn near perfect for me!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggus View Post
I'd settle for Lonely is the Word in lieu of one of the other two.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
N00B

So much Coheed hate

They were, as a Coheed fan, very good. But there of course was their progressive wankery, as expected. An acquired taste I'd agree, but I don't see how one could think all those songs sounded the same. The crowd was very weak for them, I know me and my buddy were 2 of the only people standing in the pavilion area for them.

I really don't know why C&C were picked for this pairing with H&H. I mean I love both bands, but the audiences are usually... not the same audiences.

I couldn't believe how packed it got when H&H came on- I guess they really do have the drawing power. COOL!

I thought when Dio and co. came on, they sounded great tho- possibly better than last I saw them. Solid, professional, crisp. Coulda done without the durm solo tho.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Headbanger

I must be in the minority here because I think this setlist is a total rip-off considering the money and horrific opening acts. 11 songs from a headlining band for $80+ is probably the worst value show of the entire year to me.

As much as I wanted to see Priest, I had no interest in this show. The setlist we got last year was worlds better and they had Priest, Testament and Motorhead opening... FOR THE SAME PRICE!

The fact that they don't play Sign of the Southern Cross every show is laughable to me. It's one of the best live songs I've ever heard and even if they did a medley with SotSC and Voodoo instead of a drum solo from one of the most overrated drummers of all time it would have been better.

Who doesn't want to hear TV Crimes, After All the Dead, Wishing Well & even Atom & Evil?

Sorry guys, not trying to be negative... just being real. They'll be back and hopefully they'll play a better set next time and will be worth seeing.
1/28 - Machine Head

Tags
heaven and hell