Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-17-2009, 03:15 PM
We're dying on the inside

Year-end list toppers from years past: still #1?

I've been making year-end lists on the IMBB and on here since 2004, so I decided to remember what I had at #1 each year and see if that's still true. I'm curious to see everyone else's, because I know most of us have been posting our lists to the internet for at least that long:

2004:
Then: Iced Earth- The Glorious Burden
Now: Mastodon- Leviathan

Leviathan was only my #2 when I made this list because I had only been into metal for a little over a year and was still pretty much steeped in the traditional stuff. Mastodon challenged some boundaries and I wasn't as comfortable with that as I was with Iced Earth, so Mastodon have certainly eclipsed them since.

2005:
Then: Opeth- Ghost Reveries
Now: Opeth- Ghost Reveries

Yeah, I'll stand behind this one. This one still has a special place as my first Opeth album, of course, which might be part of this, but it's a really great disc.

2006:
Then: Mastodon- Blood Mountain
Now: Mastodon- Blood Mountain/The Decemberists- The Crane Wife

I think Blood Mountain is still very, very close to dominating this year, but I'd argue that this Decemberists record is the best indie rock record ever made, and has a favorite all-time song of mine, "The Island", which doesn't hurt. Cop-out, but whatever.

2007:
Then: Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet
Now: Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet/Tegan and Sara- The Con

Another cop-out. Best prog album since the 1970s and best pop album (and second-best indie record) ever. Can't really choose.

2008:
Then: Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
Now: Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes/Cynic- Traced in Air

Goddammit I've made this exercise useless with all these ties, but Cynic's grew on me. It doesn't mean as much to me as the Fleet Foxes, but it's certainly one of the better progressive metal albums I've ever heard.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I've only done it since 2005, but here goes:

2005:
Then: Sleater-Kinney- The Woods
Now: Same, and none of my number ones since have even come close.

2006:
Then: Mastodon- Blood Mountain
Now: Probably Converge- No Heroes. It was my #2 in a very close call, and since then it's gotten a lot more spins than Mastodon.

2007:
Then: Tegan and Sara- The Con
Now: Probably the same, but Pig Destroyer's Phantom Limb came out too, so it's another really close call.

2008:
Then: Dillinger Four- C I V I L W A R
Now: Same

I'm glad I didn't do one in 2004. Mastodon's Leviathan, Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer and Converge's You Fail Me all came out that year. Completely impossible to choose.

Last edited by powerslave_85; 08-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
N00B

I doubt it. Can't remember my top ones from any older than '08 but I know my favorite album released last year I didn't even hear until this year (Annihilation Time- Tales of the Ancient Age)
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
In Search of Truth

2004:
Then: Edguy - Hellfire Club
Now: Edguy - Hellfire Club

2005:
Then: Allen/Lande - The Battle
Now: Really difficult to say, 2005 had about 8 albums I consider amazing. I'd probably go with Masterplan - Aeronautics instead.

2006:
Then: Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
Now: Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
It was a huge event for me to rank this above A Matter of Life and Death at the time, but in hindsight it should've been an easier decision.

2007:
Then: Masterplan - MKII
Now: Either Redemption - The Origins of Ruin or Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season. Hell, Cornerstone's Two Tales of One Tomorrow and Circus Maximus - Isolate are right up there at this point. This was a pretty fucked up year with no really amazing album to steal the title.

2008:
Then: Royal Hunt - Collision Course: Paradox II
Now: Probably the same album. Pyramaze's Immortal finished 2nd and is still just as close, but Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls came out of nowhere a couple months ago and is on par with these 2 easily.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

i can remember back to 05

nevermore - this godless eneavor

06-
iron maiden - a matter of life and death

rush-snakes and =arrows

metallica - death magnetic

dream theater - black clouds and silver linings
Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
dream theater - black clouds and silver linings
It's August 17th. I don't know about you but the remaining 20-ish weeks of this year could hold a lot of great albums. I would never settle on album of the year now, not to mention that wasn't really the point of this thread.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

The only ones I voted in were 7 and 8
I voted for Machine Head, today the top of my order would look like
Red Album
Era Vulgaris
Death is this Communion
The Blackening

Meshuggah was my #1 vote in 2008, which hasn't changed but I would move Cynic up quite a bit from #9.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

2005:
Then: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Now: Kamelot - The Black Halo

Tough one but TBH probably edges out AOR (mostly because of Lochness)

2006:
Then: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Now: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

Hands fuckin down. Greatest album ever recorded. Although Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain and Mastodon - Blood Mountain are both amazing as well.

2007:
Then: Megadeth - United Abominations
Now: Kamelot - Ghost Opera

2007 was one of my favorite years though, Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao, Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon, Candlemass - KotGI, Darkthrone - FOAD, and Helloween - Gambling with the Devil were all great too.

2008:
Then: Ayreon - 01011001
Now: Ayreon - 01011001

Although honorable mentions go to Agalloch - The White, Avantasia - The Scarecrow, Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus, and Motorhead - Motorizer.

As far as 2009 goes I have been thoroughly dissapointed, I havn't really been crazy about any albums besides Crack the Skye. The Devil You Know was a big dissapointment for me. Bible Black is up there with the classic songs IMO but other than that the album is a bit on the average side. I just don't like how doomy a lot of the stuff (Breaking into Heaven, Atom & Evil, Follow the Tears) is. IMO Dio and doom don't mix. Almost sounds like Tony wrote some of the riffs for Ozzy or something.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
It's August 17th. I don't know about you but the remaining 20-ish weeks of this year could hold a lot of great albums. I would never settle on album of the year now, not to mention that wasn't really the point of this thread.
there are alot of great bands coming out with new albums this year but i think i can settle on this one.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Headbanger

Wow. Interesting thread to say the least. Lots of diversity and only 1 truly head scratching moment. A Matter of Life and Death the best album ever? It isn't even in my top 5 Maiden albums let alone all-time status.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain in 06, Machine Head - The Blackening in 07, Meshuggah - Obzen in 08 and Lamb of God in 09 are all worlds better than that album to me but that's what makes this site fun I guess.

I'm listening to Children of the Damned right now and think it's one of the best vocals I've ever heard. I would certainly rate Number of the Beast my favorite Maiden album and definitely the best artwork of all time. Do other people think that album is better than the classics like Piece of Mind and NOTB?