Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 PM
In Search of Truth

Dream Theater -- Asbury Park, NJ -- August 7th, 2009

Well, I guess I'll throw out the set list first, since it's the part that the passive reader wants to see the most:

01.A Nightmare to Remember
02.A Rite of Passage
03.Beyond This life
04.Erotomania
05.Voices
06.Solitary Shell
07.In the Name of God
Encore:
08.The Count of Tuscany

So, I guess, as with most of my in-depth show reviews, I must start at the top. In toe for this journey were myself, my sister, and my best friend, though we met up with various people we knew throughout the evening. We departed from Allentown, PA around 1:45pm, and made pretty good time en route from home to the almighty Vintage Vinyl. For anyone who is located in the remote eastern-PA/NJ/NY area, you probably know about this absolute musical heaven-on-earth. I could max out a credit card in one single visit, but being that this trip was being made on a tight budget, I just went with a single disc, Riot's "Sons of Society" which I had been looking for for some time and was happy to add to my collection for just $9.99. By 3:30 we were back on the road, headed down the Garden State Parkway to Asbury Park. Traffic wasn't that bad and we ended up parking near the venue at about 4:45.
Now, for the many of you who don't know, The Convention Center at Asbury Park is located pretty much ON the boardwalk. It's part of a larger complex of venues that sits basically right on the water-front. We walked along until we found a good but overpriced cafe and grabbed some food, around the same time we met Jordan Rudess, who was strolling through the area at the time, and was quite impressed by Savatage shirt. Eventually we headed into the venue at about 5:45, and caught Scale the Summit's set. Again I can't give an accurate set list, though I know it was the same as the Tower Theater show last Friday. It was 2 songs, The Great Plains, City in the Sky, and Sargasso Sea. The band played quite well but the sound was a bit lacking in comparison to the previous set I had seen. As expected, things ran extremely timely and Bigelf came on at 6:45. No full set list this time as I didn't catch the full set, but they played The Evils of Rock & Roll, Neuropsychopathic Eye, and Money - It's Pure Evil. Same general thoughts as my Tower review. Great band for what they are, but it's just not really my thing.
Again, I missed Zappa Plays Zappa, so let the bitching ensue. Basically, I live about 2-3 hours from the beach, and I don't get to talk in the experience very much. So being that this was my one shot at actually spending some time on the beach this summer and the venue actually had re-entry, I headed out around 7-7:15 and spent about an hour and half out near the water. It was pretty sweet. Eventually I headed back to the boardwalk, got some ice cream, and eventually around 9, headed back inside. As I made my way to my seats and sat down, I noticed that down on the floor, was one giant man who I identified as the mighty Russell Allen. Not only the vocalist for Symphony X, but my personal favorite vocalist of all time, whom I had never met before. So my sister and I rushed down and caught him. It was really cool and he was real friendly considering everyone was inconveniencing him. Definitely not something I was expecting to get out of this trip, very happy about that.
Well, the time flew and Dream Theater hit the stage at 9:20 sharp. I was quite happy that my section did not seem to have an allergic reaction to standing up and getting into the show this time. We got the traditional one-two punch of the the new material. Same general comments. A Nightmare to Remember drags a lot less live that I would've expected it to, and that mellower section is just fucking epic. Same goes for the chorus in A Rite of Passage, pure magic. Following this John Petrucci fired into the opening riff of "Beyond This life" which I was not expecting. This was another track which I felt actually picked up steam live, and the chorus was, again, just great. I'm glad to have gotten one Scenes From a Memory track out of the two shows I saw.
Next up was Erotomania and Voices, which I was a bit disappointed with. Nothing against the songs in the least, but I had seen them both last Friday and would've rather had The Dance of Eternity and One last Time this go 'round. Nevertheless, the tracks were still solid, and I personally thought the performance of Voices was stronger than the previous one. It was around the end of this that I was dreading a second showing of Prophets of War, so when Portnoy called for the audience participation and Petrucci got his double-neck on, I was fucking psyched. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is one of my favorite DT songs and Solitary Shell is one of my favorite sections of it. As I expected, this song was fantastic, though it sounded a tad rushed. They really jammed out the later portions of this, but it was more fun than wanky and didn't drag much.
I pretty much figured that the last two songs would either be In the Name of God + Count of Tuscany or Count of Tuscany + Metropolis, so since I hadn't seen In the Name of God before and have actually been quite digging it lately, I was quite happy when they started it up. Another great chorus here, and the crowd participation "woah" bit at the end was awesome. After about a minute break, the band returned with the majestically awesome Count of Tuscany. DT are pretty god damn lucky that they wrote a song well-received enough to do it as an encore on its first tour, a big risk for any band. I can't blame them for it though, as this song works so well as an encore. It builds to intensity, has lots of dynamics, and has an amazingly magical sing-along/anthemic finale. It's pretty much all the same stuff that makes Symphony X's "The Odyssey" one of the best encores out there.
So, in summary, I actually enjoyed this show a lot more than the first one. And for being 3 rows up on the side, James paid a lot of attention to us, waving and giving us a thumbs up a few times, mostly getting into the newer stuff. The band's performance was technically about on par with the first show, though the sound was certainly a bit more lacking, though not bad. Given all the bonuses of the day, I couldn't be happier considering I only signed on for this trip because I got bargain tickets for $15. Money well-spent, for sure.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

How was his voice this go around?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

Cool review. You are making me want to catch this show. And that is really cool to get to meet Russell Allen! Sounds like it was an awesome trip.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 AM
N00B

Doesn't Asbury Park look like it was bombed about ten years ago and they never decided to rebuild?
5/23 MDF
7/20 QOTSA
7/30 NINSG
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
How was his voice this go around?
I thought he sounded a good bit better than the first show. It probably had to do with the fact that Thursday was a day-off, so he had time to recover from the last show. Voices in particular sounded better.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Doesn't Asbury Park look like it was bombed about ten years ago and they never decided to rebuild?
Haha, yeah. I definitely know what you're talking about.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM
In Search of Truth

Here are my pictures with Jordan Rudess and Russell Allen:

Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Concert Veteran

I know that Portnoy said it was to physically demanding but they need to consider going back the the "Evening With" concert format. These shows are just too short for them.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Here are my pictures with Jordan Rudess and Russell Allen:

Is that Guido beach in the background?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:56 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Next up was Erotomania and Voices, which I was a bit disappointed with. Nothing against the songs in the least, but I had seen them both last Friday and would've rather had The Dance of Eternity and One last Time this go 'round.
THIS! I was really hoping to see The Dance Of Eternity and One Last Time. I was very disappointed when they started playing Beyond This Life because I knew that meant they wouldn't be playing those songs. Oh well, it was still an awesome show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
Last time I was in Asbury Park was about 3 years ago, and it looks MUCH better now than what I remember. But yeah, I would still say your description is accurate.

This venue was cool as shit though. You were allowed to re-enter the venue with a ticket stub, so if you wanted to go hang out on the beach in between bands, you were free to do so. Concessions were decently priced, but even so, you could leave and get food somewhere else if you wanted. And security didn't give a FUCK what you did. They didn't care about cameras, they didn't care where you sat or stood. Hell, my friend even brought a small bottle of whiskey into the venue and I'm pretty sure the security guard saw him taking swigs from it. They didn't care at all.

I was kind of pissed about the promotional ticket prices for this show, documented here. I got DT's setlist though, which kinda makes up for it.

Zappa Setlist:

Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy
The Purple Lagoon
Montana
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Magic Fingers
Inca Roads
??
Bamboozled By Love
Pound For A Brown
??
Willie The Pimp

Bigelf Setlist:

The Evils of Rock & Roll
Neuropsychopathic Eye
Pain Killers
Disappear
Money, It's Pure Evil

We also met Bigelf at the merch stand immediately after their set. Got pictures and autographs. Very cool of them to do that.

Here's my pictures from the show:

http://pictures.leglessmoof.net/v/concerts/2009_08_07/

And a few samples:

Tags
bigelf, dream theater, scale the summit