Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
N00B

Thumbs up Judas Priest -- Cleveland, Ohio -- July 14th, 2009

Thankfully, Pop Evil who has opened the show in almost all of the cities was not on this bill. “War Pigs” was blaring on the p.a. and at 7:24pm, the music cuts and we are greeted by a smiling Mr. David Coverdale who takes us right into “Bad Boys”.

The set list was comprised mostly of the MTV hits. They played one song off their new album “Good to be Bad”. The dueling guitar solos was a perfect opportunity to step away and use the facilities. I can always do without solos of any kind, but at age 58, I’m sure Coverdale needs to get some throat coat some drink a spot of tea.

Coverdale did not wuss out of any of his high notes. Needless to say, he doesn’t have the range of back in the day, but he went of it each time. He left the crowd with these parting words, “Be safe. Be happy. And don’t let anybody make you afraid.”

Now it was time for Judas Priest. They are to play the 1980 album “British Steel” in its entirety. A front drop with a silhouette of the Birmingham, England steel factory was put up during the set change. The lights were killed and a laser show of a mill worker pounding steel was shown. Curtain down, we have “Rapid Fire”. It was intense. The Metal God Rob Halford appeared, dressed in denim and leather and sporting a blonde goatee.

Priest ripped through the album flawlessly, yet found a way to make a heavy album even heavier and more metal than it was in 1980.

But of course, there was more. After Priest got through the nine-song British Steel set, they went right into “The Ripper”. They followed with “Prophecy” from the “Nostradamus” album before closing with an incredible showing of “Victim of Changes”. Halford hit the final high notes dead on. It was amazing.

The band left the stage for a few minutes and then we heard the revving of the Harley (which has only eight stage miles on it). He comes out in all leather and performs “Freewheel Burning” on the bike.

The night ended with “You've Got Another Thing Coming” as security allowed the crowd to get closer to the stage.

As usual, guitarists Glen Tipton and K.K. Downing were tight. Scott Travis makes playing some of the hard and fast song very easy and Ian Hill hung back while laying down the bass.

The stage was simple. Two Union Jacks flanked the drum riser. Travis’ double bass had the British Steel album cover on it along with the backdrop. Part of the rig lighting was shaped like the Priest cross logo which was very cool.

I came into this show with high expectations from both bands and left beyond amazed. I will have to put this up there as one of my all-time favorite shows. Job well done by all.

Whitesnake set list:
Bad Boys
Fool For Your Loving
Love Aint No Stranger
Slow And Easy
Lay Down Your Love
Guitar Solos
Crying In The Rain
Is This Love
Give Me All Your Love
Here I Go Again
Still Of The Night

Judas Priest set list:
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Grinder
United
You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise
Living After Midnight
The Rage
Steeler
The Ripper
Prophecy
Hell Patrol
Victim of Changes
---
Freewheel Burning
Diamonds and Rust
You've Got Another Thing Coming
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM
N00B

nice review, i got a good visual description of the show, and it just makes me want to see them even more.

i hope they put back in rock hard ride free when i see them.

and can anyone tell me what version of diamonds and rust that is? when i saw them in '05 they played the slow acoustic version. i'm hoping this is the heavy one.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 PM
N00B

My freind said heavy, but he drinks alot...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 AM
N00B

Diamonds and Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking View Post
My freind said heavy, but he drinks alot...
Your friend is correct. Heavy version it was.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
N00B

This show by far was one of the worst I ever saw. Whitesnake was not on their game. Sadly David can move but his range is gone. He had drum, and guitar solos that went out of vogue n the 70's. He said it was the 25 year anniversary of Slide it In but didn't play it.

Priest was the worst I've ever seen them in 29 years. The set was very short. KK's guitars over shadowed Glenns (yes Glenn has 2 "n's"). That actually was the highlight. Robs range is gone and Hell Patrol sounded slow, almost lounge like. I sat at the soundboard and no one past those in the front was let down in front, even with a pass. (ran by the house of blues this is to be expected) There was no meet and greet and no backstage because they don't want to hear how bad Nostradomus is anymore. All I've heard, even from die hard Priest fans is they want their money and their hour and 10 minutes back.

The set list was very short. Here's an example of this one and years gone by:

Tuesday Cleveland Ohio July 14th 2009
6 big mistakes, KK's guitars were all up and we didn't hear Glenn well either. Lets not forget the lounge version of Hell Patrol....

Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Grinder
United
Living After Midnight
The Rage
Steeler
The Ripper
Prophecy
Hell Patrol
Victim of Changes
---
Freewheel Burning
Diamonds and Rust

Earlier this tour with Heaven and hell tour they did 3 more songs with 3 more bands:

Intro - Dawn of Creation
Prophecy
Metal Gods
Eat Me Alive
Between the Hammer and the Anvil
Devil’s Child
Breaking the Law
Hell Patrol
Death
Dissident Aggressor
Angel
The Hellion / Electric Eye
Rock Hard, Ride Free
Sinner
Painkiller
Hell Bent for Leather
The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)
You’ve Got Another Thing Coming

in 2005 they had even more songs on their set:

01. The Hellion
02. Electric Eye
03. Metal Gods
04. Riding on the Wind
05. The Ripper
06. A Touch of Evil
07. Judas Rising
08. Revolution
09. Hot Rockin'
10. Breaking the Law
11. I'm a Rocker
12. Diamonds & Rust (acoustic)
13. Deal With the Devil
14. Hellrider
15. Beyond the Realms of Death
16. Exciter
17. Victim of Changes
18. Green Manalishi
19. Painkiller

Encore [] :

20. Hell Bent for Leather
21. Living after Midnight
22. You've Got Another Thing Comin'

in 2004 Tim "Ripper" Owens did 25 plus encores and it was released on a cd for sale.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:09 PM
MY LEG!!

Priest's ages:

Rob - 57
KK - 57
Glenn - 61
Ian - 58
Scott - 47

They're not exactly spring chickens, nor are they playing folk music. It gets tiring for them, especially since they're doing it night after night. If you didn't like it, you could have left, simple as that.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
N00B

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

I GOT MY TICKET FOR THE SHOW IN PHOENIX AUGUST 7. I TRAVEL FROM MEXICO TO PHOENIX EVERY TIME I GOTTA GO TO A CONCERT. AND I WAS AT THE 2005 AND LAST YEAR JUDAS TOURS AND THEY PLAY LESS SONGS EVERY TOUR.
WHAT HAPPEND???? THEY CAN EASILY PLAY AT LEAST 5 MORE SONGS!!!

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE 5-6 COOL CLASICS SONGS OPENING THE SHOW, THEN PLAY THE WHOLE BRITISH STEEL CD (IT LAST JUST 29-30 MINUTES) AND CLOSE WITH OTHER 5-7 SONGS (ENCORES INCLUDED)

ANYWAY!! JUDAS RULES BUT REMEMBER EVERY TOUR IS CLOSE TO THE LAST OF THE BAND, PLEASE PLAY MORE FOR US!!!
AND BRING BACK ROCK HARD RIDE FREE TO THE SETLIST!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGoddess View Post
This show by far was one of the worst I ever saw. Whitesnake was not on their game. Sadly David can move but his range is gone. He had drum, and guitar solos that went out of vogue n the 70's. He said it was the 25 year anniversary of Slide it In but didn't play it.

Priest was the worst I've ever seen them in 29 years. The set was very short. KK's guitars over shadowed Glenns (yes Glenn has 2 "n's"). That actually was the highlight. Robs range is gone and Hell Patrol sounded slow, almost lounge like. I sat at the soundboard and no one past those in the front was let down in front, even with a pass. (ran by the house of blues this is to be expected) There was no meet and greet and no backstage because they don't want to hear how bad Nostradomus is anymore. All I've heard, even from die hard Priest fans is they want their money and their hour and 10 minutes back.

The set list was very short. Here's an example of this one and years gone by:

Tuesday Cleveland Ohio July 14th 2009
6 big mistakes, KK's guitars were all up and we didn't hear Glenn well either. Lets not forget the lounge version of Hell Patrol....

Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Grinder
United
Living After Midnight
The Rage
Steeler
The Ripper
Prophecy
Hell Patrol
Victim of Changes
---
Freewheel Burning
Diamonds and Rust

Earlier this tour with Heaven and hell tour they did 3 more songs with 3 more bands:

Intro - Dawn of Creation
Prophecy
Metal Gods
Eat Me Alive
Between the Hammer and the Anvil
Devil’s Child
Breaking the Law
Hell Patrol
Death
Dissident Aggressor
Angel
The Hellion / Electric Eye
Rock Hard, Ride Free
Sinner
Painkiller
Hell Bent for Leather
The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)
You’ve Got Another Thing Coming

in 2005 they had even more songs on their set:

01. The Hellion
02. Electric Eye
03. Metal Gods
04. Riding on the Wind
05. The Ripper
06. A Touch of Evil
07. Judas Rising
08. Revolution
09. Hot Rockin'
10. Breaking the Law
11. I'm a Rocker
12. Diamonds & Rust (acoustic)
13. Deal With the Devil
14. Hellrider
15. Beyond the Realms of Death
16. Exciter
17. Victim of Changes
18. Green Manalishi
19. Painkiller

Encore [] :

20. Hell Bent for Leather
21. Living after Midnight
22. You've Got Another Thing Comin'

in 2004 Tim "Ripper" Owens did 25 plus encores and it was released on a cd for sale.

Tags
judas priest, whitesnake