Judas Priest -- Rochester, NY -- October 1st, 2014
Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
thou hast done..... NOTHING!!!!!

Why do you like Heavy Metal?

The thread title basically says it all. Heavy metal, death metal, whatever. If your on this site, chances are when you picked a genre of music to like, you strayed away from popular music and chose growls, screams, high-pitch wails, and the like over traditional singing. You might listen to bands like Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, King Diamond, Judas Priest, really anything with death metal vocals or high-pitch falsetto,and the average non-metal listener would describe them as 'unlistenable' because of the vocals. But the average viewer on this site may say these are some of the best metal has to offer. So why listen? Do you tune out the vocals, do you like them, or is it the only type of vocals that usually fits with the music?

And then there's lyrical content. Popular music is the way it is because all the subject matter contains stuff the masses can relate with... We prefer global annihilation, mutilation, burning churches, ect... theres never too many songs describing a new way to kill someone, we find ourselves sitting through 8+ minute songs of ancient egypt in a blender with death metal, and we consider all these things to be awesome, but it isnt too often we can actually relate back to these things.

So why listen at all? Personally, I don't need a reason to justify the music I listen to, but I do get curious why my ears enjoy it so much.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

I think it's pretty good.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
We're dying on the inside

I think Gallhammer covered it pretty well. Here's a few quotes to prove it:

"I think our music come from my heart. It is so pure feelings."

"Speed of blood is a one of my feelings. I need it for survive."

"It has a lot of meanings. I cannot explain in words. So you can construable what you want."

Yeah, basically you can't articulate it, but it's the way it makes you feel that matters.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

i think Heavy Metal is a pretty cool guy. eh plays gitar solo and doesnt afraid of anything
Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

It means something.Many Many metal bans put thought into the lyrics and music unlike alot of shit that you hear. \
Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Regretting my username

I think, with a fex exceptions (Ozzy, Dio, Yngwie, etc), most metal bands work, play, and put themselves out as a unit, unlike most pop, country, and hip-hop. I like the idea that there are 3-6 dudes or chicks getting together and making such awesome music.

Aside from that, like everyone else said, it just sounds awesome! And the experience of a 'metal show' is awesome. And there are few genres in which all races, creeds, colors, nationalities, and sexes can get together and have fun.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I think, with a fex exceptions (Ozzy, Dio, Yngwie, etc), most metal bands work, play, and put themselves out as a unit, unlike most pop, country, and hip-hop. I like the idea that there are 3-6 dudes or chicks getting together and making such awesome music.

Aside from that, like everyone else said, it just sounds awesome! And the experience of a 'metal show' is awesome. And there are few genres in which all races, creeds, colors, nationalities, and sexes can get together and have fun.

whats wrong with dio
Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
whats wrong with dio
He means solo artists.

I like metal cos of triumphant wailing over riff constructions. Also this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
i think Heavy Metal is a pretty cool guy. eh plays gitar solo and doesnt afraid of anything

Last edited by JRA; 07-15-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
thou hast done..... NOTHING!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I think Gallhammer covered it pretty well. Here's a few quotes to prove it:

"I think our music come from my heart. It is so pure feelings."

"Speed of blood is a one of my feelings. I need it for survive."

"It has a lot of meanings. I cannot explain in words. So you can construable what you want."

Yeah, basically you can't articulate it, but it's the way it makes you feel that matters.
I guess it is all about the heart and feelings. As human beings, we have certain primal instincts that we cannot express anymore due to this thing called "society", "order", etc... I guess the music is an outlet for these urges, except it doesn't get you landed in prison for murder, if that makes any sense.

And in case you were wondering, I listen to lots of classic/thrash/death metal, but asides from the concert scene and the internet, I know almost no death metal heads, and start to wonder, how could a genre of music be so good, but at the same time be so unappealing to others?

Last edited by USERxMAATxRE; 07-15-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERxMAATxRE View Post
I guess it is all about the heart and feelings. As human beings, we have certain primal instincts that we cannot express anymore due to this thing called "society", "order", etc... I guess the music is an outlet for these urges, except it doesn't get you landed in prison for murder, if that makes any sense.
Although politicians would claim that kids coming out of metal shows beat-up and bloody is an unforgivable side-effect of metal.