Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Leave Indestructible alone

Sure he may like all the mallcore bands, but at least he isn't ignorant about the classics. For fucks sake he even likes Rush and Billy Joel!

We like to give the Nu-metal and the New Wave of American Metal fans alot of shit around here don't we. Oh sure, Baronness, Isis and Neurosis are cool, because they're underground (read: shit no one cares about), but the second we see the guy with a Slipknot avatar, he's doomed to sit at the lunch table alone.

Yet for all we know he could be a bigger Iron Maiden freak than all of us.

Question: When you see someone who likes Slipknot, Lamb Of God, or Disturbed, what's the first thing that goes through your head?

Be honest, it's probably "They probably hate Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, and Motorhead, and think that Metallica is the best band ever because they're on MTV."

Thus has become the battle cry of every so called "tr00 metalhead." The classic "us against them" mentality. Somewhere in the year 2001, an old fan with a Mercyful Fate shirt and a young fan with a Shadows Fall shirt met at a party or concert. They were probably shooting the shit about metal and the former inevitably asked the latter, "So do you like any of the old stuff?" to which the latter responded "Hell no! Those bands are all gay! The only old band I like is Metallica [because they're on MTV]. They're kewl! They RAWK!"

...and thus the begin the Heavy Metal Kristalnaught, with all the fans of the classics, young and old, pinning proverbial yellow Jewish stars, on anybody with a shirt of pretty much any metal band who came out after 1991. But that's not the fucked up part. The fucked up part is that they do it WITHOUT EVEN TALKING TO THESE PEOPLE. I mean who knows, maybe that person has nothing put Megadeth shirts back home, and they just happens to be out in their one Disturbed shirt for that day!

Because that one arrogant, immature prick at the concert spoke about shit he knew nothing about he pretty much ruined the bonding of the metal generations for everyone. This person managed to implant in everyone's mind that pretty much every modern metal fan watches MTV religiously and only pays attention to the bands they tell them to, and everything else is "Gay."

Honestly, could we be anymore predictable with our mindsets?

This isn't to say that there aren't modern metal fans with this type of ignorance, but it doesn't mean everybody has that ignorance either!

You know, even though I wasn't there, I can't help but feel there was a similar ignorance happening with some of the thrash metal fans in the 80's. I mean Slayer fans flipped the fuck out when they slowed it down for South Of Heaven? How do you think those same people felt about Black Sabbath's top speed being 100 bpm? Probably that they were "gay." And because of the thinking of just a few (but not all) outspoken cocksuckers, the entire legion of 70's fans looked at the 80's fans and said "Metal's fucking dead man" and became jaded bitter old prunes.

My point is, not every modern metal fan is that ignorant! We can't let one or two sociopathic trolling Jokers ruin an entire creed of people! In the end, isn't that how they win? Despite their falseness in the metal community, I'm sure there are plenty of Slipknot fans that love Judas Priest and Black Sabbath, just as much as there were plenty of thrashers in the 80's who loved Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. But because of those loud select few who proclaim that they hate them, the rest get kicked out of a club for liking a new breed that made them interested in it in the first place! How devastating and depressing is that?

And let me tell you something else, new fans getting flak for "not getting around to listening to the classics" is also fucking bullshit and it needs to stop. Everybody here has one classic that for some reason they just never get around to listening to. Not because of anything negative, or because they're "Gay," they just don't have the time (for me it's Thin Lizzy). But perhaps if you don't scare them off like a barking dog, they just might get around to it, and lo and behold, you have another thing in common with the young.

So in conclusion, the next time you're talking to a nu-metal fan (or a metal fan of any time, or genre,) and they say flat out that a particular classic is "gay," "they suck," "I hate them," "fuck them," etc. etc. beat the shit out of them...

....but don't make an entire sub-sect of the population a pariah for that one person's actions.

Don't hate the trendy, hate the ignorant.

Last edited by JRA; 07-15-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Inserted text at request of JRA
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned Asshole

I can definetely see where you are coming from with this post, many people do generalize too quickly, and therefore they get a bad rep, especially around here. The real reason I criticize his musical choices are that he deemed:

rage aganist the machine
kiss
queen
cannibal corpse
behemoth

as the WORST bands ever.

Sure, you don't have to love them, but at least give them the respect that they deserve for influencing genres in such a huge way.

Other than that, I feel that that was indeed a very interesting and throut-provoking thread, and definetely can be applied in the future. Many people move to quickly to group "mallcore," and "ozzcore" people, when in reality most of the time they haven't taken the time to learn more about them.

-Bennett
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Wink

Nice rant, and it includes many, many good points - but personally, I feel some of it may have been a bit misdirected. Not everyone who gets annoyed at the mallcore scene kids takes things to the extreme that you describe in your post.

By making this generalization, you've actually broken one of your own cardinal rules - don't hate on everyone in a particular group just because of a few members. Some people just like to rip on others for no reason (we call these folks assholes, and it really doesn't matter whether they are old-school or nu-skewl metal fans, their actions are deplorable either way), and then some folks just get tired of hearing the ignorant things other folks say and they let them know it. There's a difference.

Based on what I admit is hearsay (see B_Halperin's post above), it sounds like Indestructible may have stuck his foot in his mouth on at least one occasion in the past, and therefore he opened himself up for a little bit of flak.

The bottom line is: If you don't want to get flamed, then don't make inflammatory comments. If you do, it's your funeral, baby.

Sooner or later, the young 'uns learn that, and then maybe they can become productive members of a discussion board. Until that point, sometimes a little voltage needs to be applied in just the right location. Know what I mean?

Anyway, that's my
(not that you asked )
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
MY LEG!!

NO
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Oh sure, Baronness, Isis and Neurosis are cool, because they're underground (read: shit no one cares about)
For example, there's the above comment. This reads as inflammatory to me.

Thus:

Isis, Neurosis and Baroness are neither underground (Isis: five studio albums, four EP's, four live albums, etc.; Neurosis: Are you fucking kidding me? They only spawned the entire post-metal genre for Satan's sake!; Baroness: lauded by critics everywhere, Red Album was in many folks' top ten of 2007), nor are they "shit no one cares about". They are cool because they fucking rock balls.

(P.S. - you're allowed to not like them, but when you slam them is when you might end up getting slammed - at least by yours truly.)

See how that works?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 07-15-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
We're dying on the inside

I don't have a problem with bad music tastes (which some people here certainly do have, IN MY OPINION BECAUSE TASTE IS SIMPLY AN OPINION BEFORE I AM FLAMED), but I do have a problem with unprofessionalism that isn't justified by sarcasm or irony.

if u typed lik this 4 a class u wud get an f so y do it hear?

Just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
For example, there's the above comment. This reads as inflammatory to me.

Thus:

Isis, Neurosis and Baroness are neither underground (Isis: five studio albums, four EP's, four live albums, etc.; Neurosis: Are you fucking kidding me? They only spawned the entire post-metal genre for Satan's sake!; Baroness: lauded by critics everywhere, Red Album was in many folks' top ten of 2007), nor are they "shit no one cares about". They are cool because they fucking rock balls.

(P.S. - you're allowed to not like them, but when you slam them is when you might end up getting slammed - at least by yours truly)

See how that works?

I was also making a joke in reference to my "Heavy Metal Tier List" which had all those underground bands at a pretty high rank, and that mentioned they would be higher, if it weren't for the fact that they have very, very, little industry buzz. Very little industry buzz = shit no one cares about.

Last edited by JRA; 07-15-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I was also making a joke in reference to my "Heavy Metal Tier List" which had all those underground bands at a pretty high rank, and that mentioned they would be higher, if it weren't for the fact that they have very, very, little industry buzz.
Fine by me! That just means I can get all that much closer to the stage at one of their shows!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
N00B

Quote:

We like to give the Nu-metal and the New Wave of American Metal fans alot of shit around here don't we. Oh sure, Baronness, Isis and Neurosis are cool, because they're underground (read: shit no one cares about), but the second we see the guy with a Slipknot avatar, he's doomed to sit at the lunch table alone.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
if u typed lik this 4 a class u wud get an f so y do it hear?

Just a pet peeve of mine.
Then you'd better not read this post.

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10755