Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Wat?
It gets worse the closer you get to the Great American.
And what's not to like about the Grand Ballroom other than parking?

As for the "yuppie places", I really like the Fillmore. There is a DJ spinning vinyl at the bar upstairs, old bills everywhere and what's not to like about getting a free one-off poster for shows you pay between $20-35 for?
After that, I'll take the GAMH, Grand Ballroom, Warfield, and Slims, which is the only one that sucks.

Unless it's an all day two-stage deal, I would rather see a fest lineup at one of the arenas than the Shoreline or Concord.
I love Slims, I don't understand why it gets such a bad name. Only downer is the poles on the floor, but I can get over that. It may be my favorite venue in the City, that and Thee Parkside.

I think the sound at Grand Ballroom totally sucks, but the security guys there are always really good guys.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadjedi View Post
It's The Cellar in Struthers, OH (which is a like a burb of Youngstown but the opposite think a "skid row").
No problem man!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
No problem man!
I don't know how you can stand Blossom and especially the godawful Riverbend while saying you don't like arena shows. Outdoor sound is soooo shitty, and Riverbend is the worst offender I know of.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I don't know how you can stand Blossom and especially the godawful Riverbend while saying you don't like arena shows. Outdoor sound is soooo shitty, and Riverbend is the worst offender I know of.
I feel Blossom is the best seated outdoor venue in Ohio overall (not strictly based on sound). Riverbend I have only been there twice and it was merely tolerable. I would say it's pretty common knowledge the sound at outdoor shows pale in comparison to indoor. No matter what I always prefer GA club shows to seated arena ones.

How many times have you been to Riverbend?

Last edited by evildeadjedi; 05-06-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I love Slims, I don't understand why it gets such a bad name. Only downer is the poles on the floor, but I can get over that. It may be my favorite venue in the City, that and Thee Parkside.

I think the sound at Grand Ballroom totally sucks, but the security guys there are always really good guys.
Slims gets way too packed, the security guards are usually dicks and the sound is spotty.
The sound sucks at the Ballroom when you're up close but it's always been good when I watch from the middle or back.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Slims gets way too packed, the security guards are usually dicks and the sound is spotty.
The sound sucks at the Ballroom when you're up close but it's always been good when I watch from the middle or back.
I agree
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Concert Veteran

THE TOWN BALLROOM:

Located in downtown Buffalo,NY it is THE place for not only most metal acts but a lot of musical acts who can't fill the bigger venues. It's a small place so you get a nice intimate concert experience. I've heard a few different numbers but the capacity is somewhere in the 1,200-1,500 range. The place has been there awhile, but it wasn't until about four or five years ago when new management took over that it's become what it is now. The main promoter of the place is the guy who used to promote The Goo Goo Dolls around here before the made it big. So the guy does have some decent connections and gets a solid amount of metal shows to come here now. Metal bands were compeltely ignoring this area for a long time before this place opened. It's really breathed some new life into the live metal scene around here. Which had been nonexistent for awhile. They get bands who haven't been around for a bit and bands who otherwise would just skip us over to come here. The sound system is great and everything is really clear. When it first started the sound was shitty but over the last year or so they've really put some money into it to improve it. The setup is general admission, they have a floor and they also have two levels you can stand on to. With the way it's set up there isn't a bad spot at all to see a show when you're there. I'm deffinately glad a venue like this is in the area now. 95 percent of the shows I see now are at this venue.

DARIEN LAKE PAC:

Located at Darien Lake Amusement Park in Darien Center, NY. It's in the middle of nowhere between Buffalo and Rochester. It's a bit closer to Buffalo though. Even though the location is out where most civilization doesn't exist, it still gets people from a lot of the surrounding areas to come for shows. It's the standard amphitheater set up as far as I know but it's still a great venue. The sound is usually top notch. I don't recall ever having experienced sound problems with any band i've seen there. I've seen a good amount of shows here through the years and it's a great enviroment and has an awesome big show feel to it.

I've been to several other cool venues both here and in other cities but this is gonna go longer than it already is if I get into them all. So i'll stop now.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fires Of Sedition View Post
I haven't been to the Cain's in a long ass time. They haven't booked any good shows at all lately. All the metal shows have been going to The Marquee, even Cannibal Corpse, which was the only show I've been to at The Marquee that was completely packed and had security.

I love The Marquee. The sound is great and I've been there so many times that I'm kind of friends with the dudes who work there. There's no rail unless Nile is playing, but that plastic shit doesn't really count, so I'm always right in front of the bands. You're also pretty much guaranteed to meet any band you want there. All you have to do is walk around to the side/back of the venue. Met Decrepit Birth and Vader inside though.

The Diamond Ballroom and the Coca Cola Bricktown Events Center in Oklahoma City are both great venues as well. The CCBEC has air conditioning that blows on the front few rows! YES.
Def agree w/ The Marquee. I believe my original post was before I had ever been to a show there but now I love the Marquee alot more. Don't think I've even been to Cain's since GWAR in November. They do seem to be get alot better shows and it is pretty easy to meet bands. I will say Marquee is the new indoor favorite!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned Asshole

Station 4 in St. Paul, Mn. I went to my first real metal show there and I can say with confidence it's the venue I'm at 7 times out of 10 on average. Soooo many memories. haha
Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:

How many times have you been to Riverbend?
Once, and I will not be going back. Saw Rush there and they did their damnedest to ruin it for me. Still...I think the shows I've seen at arenas have been pretty fantastic sound-wise and stage show-wise. I think arenas are the way to go for big bands. Maiden at Air Canada Centre, Megadeth at Nationwide Arena, and Tool and Heaven and Hell (different shows, derp) at US Bank Arena were all awesome.