Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014

Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

The Palladium In Worcester is pretty sick. It was an old movie theater the sound is good the merch booth is laid out perfect i love it.

The Comcast center is awesome for a big place. The Sound is great and the stage is huge the seating is great. The only bad part is the food is sooooo expensive.
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
The Palladium In Worcester is pretty sick. It was an old movie theater the sound is good the merch booth is laid out perfect i love it.
Are we going to the same venue? The Palladium has a terrible sound system 80% of the time.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN "YOU PEOPLE"?

I've always liked going to see show's at BB Kings. The venue is just small enough that no matter where you are in the GA, you're still getting a great view.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Jaxx in Springfield, VA (just outside DC) is my favorite small venue of all time. The place looks like a complete dive, nestled between an Afghan kabob restaurant and an Afghan bazaar, but nearly everything about it is perfect. It's in a nice suburb so you avoid going into the city and having to pay for parking, the sound is always great, they (until recently when the economy started to go down hill fast) only book rock/metal acts, the stage is about three feet off the ground with no photo pit and only a small pipe rail seperating the fans from the band. Also, there is zero security. They have 1 bouncer who just sits around the whole time and they have a metal detector at the door that they don't even pay attention to (it goes off and they just tell you not to worry about it lol). Also, the band's buses are just around the corner from the front door so it's easy to meet them if you want.

As for big venues, the Merriweather Post Pavillion is awesome. It is in a ritzy suburb of Baltimore, parking is free (if I remember right, maybe they add it on to the tickets but it's very cheap if they do), security is cool, the stage is realysmall for an ampitheater (I didn't think mummy Eddie would fit last year but it did) plus their metal shows are almost always GA pit (fuck seated pits). Going to see Judas Priest and Heaven and Hell there next month!
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I've got a few. There was a place in Springfield, MO that was called The Rockwell. Unfortunately it got shut down in '04. For such a small place got alot of National Acts. (Superjoint Ritual, Ministry, SFU, Static-X, Candiria, Machine Head...To Name A Few) Plus my first and only stage dive was @ SJR show.

Currently my fav indoor venue is Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. It's actually registered as some kind of national landmark which is cool and there is a long history of really huge bands that have came up through that building. Always well run and always had good sound.

Outdoor venue would have to be Sandstone Ampitheater in KC. Love how they took out all the reserved seating in the front of the stage and now it costs less for the closer GA seats than reserved seating. Plus when there are crappy bands you can go lay and rest on the lawn!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
Are we going to the same venue? The Palladium has a terrible sound system 80% of the time.

I dont think sound is that bad. The only time it was horrendus was at Rock and Shock last year when Bodom was on it was horrific but normally its alright.
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

The townball room in buffalo ny and the armory in rochester are good places for a metal show
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM
A Pathetic. Excuse. For a Human Being.

Get em up

Well it's like this, see. The Worcester Palladium is the best venue for volume of metal shows. They have more metal shows than any place in the northeast. For this reason, it is my favorite place on earth. Also, anybody who saw Vital Remains, Nile, Immolation, or a host of others in the Upstairs knows that you cannot replicate this kind of experience anywhere. Period.

As far as overall best venues in terms of facility and sound:
Roseland Ballroom. Saw Primus there twice. The first time was in 04 when they played STSOC for set II. Second time was in 06 I believe. This place has great space and sound. The bar is in the back and gives seperation without missing out on sound. Legendary venue. Check the movie with Chris Walken for a laugh (and a nap).

Staying in NYC, pretty much all of the bowery clubs are great. They know how to run a venue. My favorite is probably terminal 5. Nobody in their right mind would agree with that, but I like the 3 floors and column shape of the place. I like the magnitude of clean bathrooms. The sound is decent.

Irving plaza rounds out my NYC selections. It sounds like they went to heaven, smacked jesus, kicked God's ass, choked out the Holy Spirit guy, and jacked the sound system. It's really good. Anybody who saw Meshuggah/Cynic there knows what I mean. It actually made me mad because the only real way to hear Meshuggah is through a massive system that can handle that low end.

On to Philly. The scumpit of the Northeast. Traffic, ugly women, rude assholes, and home of the Eagles. What could possibly be redeeming about this place? Well there's the Electric Factory. Big ass venue with big sound and awesome bar layout. I've seen several shows here, none of them metal. CKY had their first Halloween show here and that was the most packed I've ever seen any venue. The security here is almost nonexistent. Sweet.

Back up north we have the House of Blues in Boston. Holy shit is this place great. I mean if you can find a better place to see a show, let me know because I don't know any. Note: DO NOT see shows here when the Pink Socks are playing. You will be miserable.

Finally in Connecticut we have Toads Place. Legendary. Small and intimate. The sound here is great and the atmosphere is that of a NYC club. You're almost guaranteed to meet the band here.

For those of you who think the Palladium sucks, you'll be missing that shit when they sell it. Well, maybe not. But I sure will!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I return to the cem-e-te-ryyy

Twisters, in Richmond VA

It's gone now...must have had a capacity of less than 200. It's where I saw my first show, and saw a ton of great acts like Emperor, Iced Earth, Morbid Angel, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'm big on Cincinnati's Bogart's. Standard rock club, but the best-run in the state for sure.

And somewhat more locally, Dayton's Dayton Dirt Collective and the now defunct basement venue below Stillwater Photography in Troy are the greatest places to see post-rock/experimental/avant-garde/blahblahblah shows.
I stand behind my opinion on Bogart's. I'd like to add Reggie's Rock Club in Chicago, even though I've only seen one show there thus far.

And the DDC has now gone the way of Stillwater. Fun while it lasted.