Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yes, Gigantour 2006. I was literally angry the entire time because they played a full set, making Megadeth and Opeth lose a song each despite the venue curfew. Also, Randy Blythe's pimp-rollin' douchebag attitude made them intolerable to my eyes as well as my ears.

EDIT: Metallica? No. Someday I hope. I need to see them and Slayer before they hang it up, so I'll be seeing both in "farewell tour" situations most likely.
I'd go ahead and tell you to see them on this tour if you'd like. I only started listening to them in summer-ish of last year and I saw them in October and while it wasn't god-like, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm really glad I went. You should go too! Although...yeah...LoG sucks. D:
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Awesome! wish this was coming to MA.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
N00B

Nice
Old 06-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

You know, I feel like sharing a little honesty with the group.

Back in 2004, when I first heard of Lamb Of God, I thought the music was ok, but I hated the vocals. The reason for this is I was going through a phase where I absolutely abhorred any type of growling singing. Pretty much every band except for a power metal band (and even some of them were doing) was doing some type of a-melodic vocals, and having been raised on a diet of bands with vocalists who actually sing, that annoyed the shit out of me.

Siderant: It feels like bands have split off in two directions; a) bands with riffs who can't sing, or bands who have great singers but no riffage what so ever. The way it used to be was you had to have both. That's what the NWOBHM movement was all about. But modern bands are like "Whoop, we can't do that, it's been done already, let's split in those two directions and see where that goes, yuk yuk."

So yea, I hated vocalists who couldn't sing. Then my metal sheep mentality informed me that required metal listening was Exodus's "Bonded By Blood."

Paul Baloff, for my money, was where the aggressive style of metal vocals started. He was Phil Anselmo before Phil Anselmo. I'd also be willing to bet my house that his stage presence and attitude is where the whole "Metal rules, if you don't like it, die" & "hardcore for life" mish-mash really started popping up in metal. But I don't think I've ever heard any modern metal vocalist sound quite like Paul does, so luckily he (and consequently Exodus) have managed to age well in the metal community. In short, while I still detest the lack of singing in modern metal, that doesn't mean I will exclude bands who do it from my music collection. Hell if I did, I probably wouldn't listen to Mastodon, Children Of Bodom, Carcass, Death, or Bathory, to name a few.

So now, the one reason that I didn't want to listen to Lamb Of God has been thrown out the window, yet I still don't listen to them. Why? Well apparently the True Metal Police look down on it, citing that Randy Blythe's attitude is that of a frat boy ape.

You know, from what I can remember seeing them live, I don't think that could be further from the truth. All he did was say how people were tired of Britney Spears and give shout outs to all the heavy bands that came out of England. This was in 2006 mind you. So in regards to the former, all I can think of was "People are tired of Britney Spears? No shit sherlock, get with the times!" But I can't really remember him going "jump the fuck up, back the fuck up or shut the fuck up!" I don't read a whole lot of interviews from the guy either, so I wouldn't know.

So will I buy a Lamb Of God album after coming to this conclusion? Probably that before Death Magnetic.

I hope you have enjoyed this stream of consciousness rambling.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM
N00B

I don't listen to Lamb of God because when I hear a song of theirs my reaction is to turn it off immediately because it doesn't sound good.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:42 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Randy can actually growl good unlike alot of others.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_metalhead View Post
yes
good
Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
Randy can actually growl good unlike alot of others.
ya he gud