Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014
Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

The thing that I always loved about Dream Theater was there long ass songs that really entertained me and kept me interested, and I am glad to say this a nice return to form for me. Systematic Chaos really lacked for me, and I couldn't get into a lot of the tracks except for three or four. Black Clouds & Silver Linings opens up with a great track "A Nightmare To Remember", which has a great mixture of chugging, heavy riffage with impressive progressive tempos, time signatures, the usual Dream Theater. The record really continues in the vein of this attitude in my opinion, tracks like "A Rite Of Passage", "The Shattered Fortress", and "The Count Of Tuscany" all stand out as one of the best ones. Even the ballads, "Wither" and "The Best Of Times" stand out to me as nice pieces (Forsaken from Systematic was half-ass for me). My only complaint is that Mike Portnoy's "gritty" voice is really annoying and I feel it doesn't fit in with the riffage he sings over or with Dream Theater in general. All in all I feel really happy about this record and I'm glad to see DT make a much better record than Systematic Chaos. Anxious to see them live if I can!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
We're dying on the inside

I liked this album a lot. Almost as much as I liked Dylan's lyrical parodies on The Count of Tuscany.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
In Search of Truth

I was actually planning on eventually reviewing this myself, but oh well, you snooze, you lose.
Overall, I think this album is quite good, at least for newer Dream Theater. It's still a joke compared to some of their older stuff, but leaps and bounds in front of Systematic Chaos and Train of Thought for sure. The songs here are long, but not all of them are the pompous, pointless, overblown bore-fest that most of their new longer songs are. In fact "The Count of Tuscany" is my favorite song on the disc. The first 4 and last 5 minutes of that song are in my opinion easily some of the best stuff the band has done over the last 4 or so albums. The two shorter tracks are good, as I expected them to be, and I quite enjoyed The Best of Times. My only complaints come from the other two:
I think The Shattered Fortress is overall just not very good. The references to The Root of All Evil and The Glass Prison are great, and the song has a few cool moments, but in general, it's just kind of forgettable and Train-of-Thought-esque. My other gripe is regarding A Nightmare to Remember. The first 4 minutes are alright, but then the middle section ("in peaceful sedation I lay half-awake", that part) is absolutely fucking excellent for about 3-4 minutes, before launching head-long into 7 minutes of pointless wanking with next-to-no substance. Not to mention the Portnoy vocal bit as an absolute WTF.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Catch The Rainbow

note to Dream Theater:

Stop letting Portnoy sing!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM

I completely agree that Portnoy should not sing, he just isn't good. I enjoyed this record though, I thought it stood much more solid that Systematic. I personally liked Train of Thought, so I can't really relate ther because I have a bias. I think The Count of Tuscany is an amazing track, keeps me on the edge and flows so smoothly. I personally really enjoyed A Nightmare To Remember and The Shattered Fortress, but to each their own I guess.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Catch The Rainbow

I've not heard any of it yet. If it were an all instrumental album I think I'd be all over it. Systematic Chaos except for a couple songs maybe really turned me off to Dream Theater with the rapping Portnoy vocals! Train Of Thought was pretty good overall but there are some strange vocal effects in there too!! I am one of the few who actually like Octavarium.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
I've not heard any of it yet. If it were an all instrumental album I think I'd be all over it. Systematic Chaos except for a couple songs maybe really turned me off to Dream Theater with the rapping Portnoy vocals! Train Of Thought was pretty good overall but there are some strange vocal effects in there too!! I am one of the few who actually like Octavarium.
I enjoy Octavarium. I also enjoy Train of Thought. I pretty much enjoy any Dream Theater record besides Systematic.

Portnoy has to stop singing!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
In Search of Truth

Octavarium is my favorite post-Scenes From a Memory DT album. This one would probably fall right behind it as of now. I love the song Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but the first disc of the album doesn't do much for me. The first 3 DT albums and Scenes are classics though.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
N00B

this album is their best imo since Train of thought. and i do have to agree that portnoy needs to stop singing.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Always feel guilty b/c when I read reviews for Systematic I really didn't think it was as bad as an album as everyone is saying it is. Granted I was relatively new to DT so maybe that was my problem but I have listened to their other albums as well. I really enjoyed Traing Of Thought b/c it was a little heavier/darker than alot of their previous albums. From the 1st 2 songs I've heard off of the new album I'm pretty excited for it.