Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 AM
N00B

Looks like we can rule out a Sabbath reunion with Ozzy

OZZY OSBOURNE Sues TONY IOMMI Over Ownership Of BLACK SABBATH Name - May 29, 2009

According to the New York Post, Ozzy Osbourne has filed a lawsuit against his BLACK SABBATH bandmate Tony Iommi, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne is suing Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charges that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Iommi and Geezer Butler have both said some less than kind things about working with singer Ozzy Osbourne in a new interview with Decibel magazine. The pair recently completed a new studio album as HEAVEN & HELL, the post-Ozzy version of SABBATH featuring vocalist Ronnie James Dio, and Butler said that working with Dio was much easier than Osbourne. He explained, "Ronnie's a songwriter in his own right — he's got tons of ideas. Whereas Ozzy . . . in the old days, he'd come up with a vocal line and I'd write the lyrics. Ronnie is 100 percent involved in both the musical side and the vocal side, and he writes his own lyrics as well."

Butler added that Osbourne didn't take him seriously as a songwriter, saying, "If we were with Ozzy and I came in with the killer riff of all time, Ozzy wouldn't even think of doing it because I'm not the guitarist and that's the way he thinks . . . That's why it was so bloody hard to write anything."

Butler said about HEAVEN & HELL's debut CD, "The Devil You Know", "If we'd written this album with Ozzy, we'd still be working on the first track."

Iommi added that there was a sharp difference between the singers live as well, saying, "It was great being with Ozzy on the road . . . but with Ronnie it's a lot different, because we go out and we know exactly what we're gonna be doing. With Ozzy, we didn't really know. It was touch and go sometimes on some of those early shows, whether he was gonna turn up, if he'd be able to sing, if his voice was gone, or what. We'd have to cancel shows, which Geezer and myself really hated. But with Ronnie, we've never canceled a show."

HEAVEN & HELL will tour Europe later this spring and summer, with North American dates scheduled for August.

Ozzy Osbourne is currently working on his next solo album.

Source: Blabbermouth.net
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Most unsurprising thing ever.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

All this shit is retarded IMO, but I still have to say Ozzy sabbath>Dio sabbath X10000000000000
Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Oh Sharon...you need to die.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle_of_maiden View Post
The Manhattan federal court suit also charges that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Just...wow.

Dio Sabbath is better, anyways, though, so I'm so not complaining.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle_of_maiden View Post
Fucking ridiculous.

This whole thing is stupid. Black Sabbath is, was, has always been, and will always be Tony Iommi, it's as simple as that.
I disagreed with their decision to call Heaven and Hell that and not Black Sabbath due to the fact that Sabbath had existed without Ozzy for a decade and a half, and as long as Tony (and in this case Geezer) were behind the idea, it should carry the Black Sabbath name, regardless of induced whining or confusion from those people who think the only Sabbath is Ozzy-Sabbath.
I've never liked Ozzy much and never thought he had much talent, and this whole decision is just stupid. I don't really know what else to say.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Bullshit.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I disagreed with their decision to call Heaven and Hell that and not Black Sabbath
Same.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfDoom View Post
All this shit is retarded IMO, but I still have to say Ozzy sabbath>Dio sabbath X10000000000000
No way
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse