Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
things are more than just what you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I think it all has to do with how things transpired throughout a band's career to get to the point of having one, or even no (which has happened) original members. I think if a band had gone through a shitload of changes before releasing it's "essential" material, no one really cares about the lineup changes before that, just what happens after. Take a band like Maiden, who went through countless changes through their pre-debut years and even the first 3 albums. But Maiden released it's "essential" material with a stable and consistent line up. To most people, that's Maiden.
If a band has been around 20+ years, it's common that they can wind up with just one original member without it being weird at all. If people just come and go casually every now and then, it just seems normal as it happens through the years.
Also, for a lot of people, as long as a band retains it's most popular singer, or if there is a primary writer, that's what defines the band for fans, and as long as the stay, people don't get that upset with the changes. For example, Iced Earth. It's been Schaffer's show from Day 1, and people know that. People are biased towards singers (usually Barlow vs. Ripper), but there isn't anyone out there who think the current lineup is blasphemous because of the other new faces.
I agree, I personally don't like Jonny VanZant I thought that skynyrd died, or the heart of it died with ronny, however I will give Jonny the fact that he's a much better singer when singing his brother's music than when he sings his own original.
I think a big part of it for me is I can accept the new skynyrd because they still play the songs the same way I'm used to hearing them. I think that's one of the reason I really never liked Ronnie James Dio for Sabbath, and I know I'm probably opening up a whole other debate here, but to me although Dio was a better singer, when he tried to sing the songs ozzy wrote he sang them like he would sing them and it sounded nothing like Ozzy, and to me they should sound the way Ozzy sang them.
but that's my two cents take them or leave them.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_jman View Post
I agree, I personally don't like Jonny VanZant I thought that skynyrd died, or the heart of it died with ronny, however I will give Jonny the fact that he's a much better singer when singing his brother's music than when he sings his own original.
I think a big part of it for me is I can accept the new skynyrd because they still play the songs the same way I'm used to hearing them. I think that's one of the reason I really never liked Ronnie James Dio for Sabbath, and I know I'm probably opening up a whole other debate here, but to me although Dio was a better singer, when he tried to sing the songs ozzy wrote he sang them like he would sing them and it sounded nothing like Ozzy, and to me they should sound the way Ozzy sang them.
but that's my two cents take them or leave them.
The problem with that is Dio and Ozzy are comepletly different vocalists. The stuff Sabbath did was written for Ozzy's voice and so the songs would have to be rearranged to fit Dio's voice. That's one of the reasons why they're going under the Heaven & Hell name now doing only the Dio era stuff. That way all the songs sound right live. Also Ozzy never really wrote anything with Sabbath it was mainly Tony and Geezer. Geezer wrote all the lyrics all Ozzy did was come up with was how to sing the song

Tags
lynyrd skynyrd