Amon Amarth -- St. Louis, MO -- October 29th, 2014
Marilyn Manson -- Santa Ana, CA -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- San Francisco, CA -- October 30th, 2014
Gojira -- Providence, RI -- October 30th, 2014

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLardsAlot View Post
Am I the only one that thought AMOLAD was ... average?
Nope, it was.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Nope, it was.
In your opinion.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Correction, it was Maiden retreading the same boring sound. It was fucking awful, repetitive, and pretty damn close to uncreative
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Correction, it was Maiden retreading the same boring sound. It was fucking awful, repetitive, and pretty damn close to uncreative
Alright, you are entitled to your own opinion. Repetitive? I'll give you that one. Uncreative? Yeah, I guess.

However, if you like Brave New World and Dance of Death, A Matter of life and Death can NOT be horrible. I'm sorry, but I'm using your own logic against you here. If they are treading the same waters is it uncreative? Yes. But if you liked it the first time, even if you don't like it again, there is no way you can hate it, unless you are one of those douche bag people who thinks that if something isn't as different as it can be, it sucks on principle. Also, I strongly beg to differ about the sound being boring in the first place.

I do agree with the general sentiment that the newer records sound quite alike, and could use more uptempo songs and a few fresh ideas. But if you liked Brave New World and Dance of Death, calling A Matter of life and Death is logistically impossible, unless you are hating it on principle.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Alright, you are entitled to your own opinion. Repetitive? I'll give you that one. Uncreative? Yeah, I guess.

However, if you like Brave New World and Dance of Death, A Matter of life and Death can NOT be horrible. I'm sorry, but I'm using your own logic against you here. If they are treading the same waters is it uncreative? Yes. But if you liked it the first time, even if you don't like it again, there is no way you can hate it, unless you are one of those douche bag people who thinks that if something isn't as different as it can be, it sucks on principle. Also, I strongly beg to differ about the sound being boring in the first place.

I do agree with the general sentiment that the newer records sound quite alike, and could use more uptempo songs and a few fresh ideas. But if you liked Brave New World and Dance of Death, calling A Matter of life and Death is logistically impossible, unless you are hating it on principle.

I did like Brave New World and Dance Of Death, but I also noticed that Harris was basically doing the same thing on X factor and Virtual XI. So I'm thinking, alright Steve, time for you to move on. And he never did.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
In Search of Truth

I don't know, sometimes I think people just get too picky about things like this. When you consider how many other bands have long careers and never really change their sound, Maiden are hardly standing alone. Especially considering that for the first 15 years of their career, Maiden never went more than 2 albums without changing or evolving. There's nothing wrong with finding a formula that works and just working with it for a long period of time. Being that I've heard people argue that every single reunion album has been one of the best or best album Maiden have ever done, I'd say it's been working. Do I hope the new album will elaborate and cover new territory? Of course. But I also know that even if they give us a batch of songs in the vein of the last several efforts, it will be a great album, even though it won't be ground breaking in any way. And to tell you the truth, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I'm starting to think AMOLAD is the best reunion album. I feel like they've finally really mastered that "sound." IMO, BNW is the 'flop' if there is one (not that it isn't fucking awesome).
Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I'm starting to think AMOLAD is the best reunion album. I feel like they've finally really mastered that "sound." IMO, BNW is the 'flop' if there is one (not that it isn't fucking awesome).
I don't know where this Brave New World nonsense has come from. I remember back when I got into Maiden, BNW was a landmark album and widely loved by most. It still remains my all-time second favorite Maiden album. I think it is BY FAR the best sounding Kevin Shirley album, and really just captures a great magic that has never been on a Maiden album before or since. There are certainly a couple of iffy songs (The Fallen Angel is the big obvious one), but 3 or 4 of the tracks on there are top 25 all-time Maiden songs for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
LET ME FIGHT YOUR BEARS

Fucking finally. Been waiting for this news all fucking year.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I don't know where this Brave New World nonsense has come from. I remember back when I got into Maiden, BNW was a landmark album and widely loved by most. It still remains my all-time second favorite Maiden album. I think it is BY FAR the best sounding Kevin Shirley album, and really just captures a great magic that has never been on a Maiden album before or since. There are certainly a couple of iffy songs (The Fallen Angel is the big obvious one), but 3 or 4 of the tracks on there are top 25 all-time Maiden songs for me.
The Thin Line... is one of my favorite Maiden songs EVER. However, I think compared to the other two, the album as a whole is a bit lacking.

...aaaaand The Wicker Man is one of the most overrated Maiden songs ever. I don't really like saying negative things about the album though, because no matter what I can say about it that makes it not perfect, I still think it's incredible.

Major fanboyism.