The Great Destroyer
Eraser
Wish
Only
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
-----
Hurt

4th show of the tour for me this week. NIN's setlist has been stale & tired most nights (only a few shows of this tour have been interesting, like Camden for example), full of overplayed hits that I could use a break from. As such I was gonna try & get out of tonight's show but decided to just go with my wife and friend b/c of DEP.

DEP killed it about as much as you could expect considering their brand of metal at an arena-level show on a Saturday night where the bro-tastic crowd has been tailgating all day in anticipation of two 90's bands. Sounded really clear up there considering how intricate their guitar play can be at times, and played a good mix of heavy material w/some of the catchier stuff. I thought they got a decent reaction from a largely unfamiliar crowd.

Greg did not throw firecrackers at the crowd, there was no headwalking, shitting on stage, or climbing up to the rafters, so that was a downer haha. My favorite part was when he addressed a small group of fans 1/2 way up the center orchestra: "Oh, you guys have heard of us before? Fuck off!"

Soundgarden was very good. Gun was nice to here again after really surprising me Friday night with it. Taree worked better than Been Away Too Long as well. Highlights were still Outshined, Jesus Christ Pose and Rusty Cage. Heavy SG tops the rest of their stuff. Love how Chris Cornell's voice actually gets stronger as the set progresses, topping off with his insanely good high-pitched screams on Beyond the Wheel. He hasn't had an off night vocally all weak. Can't believe a 50 year old can still belt it out like that. Kim is a riff and shred god. Such a versatile guitarist. Just wish the guys were more active on stage.

NIN bored me alot of the set bc they didnt switch it up at all from last night. Trent's my favorite musician, and I've seen them 22 times, but I would have been fine seeing them once on this tour b/c of the little to no variation in the set. That's fine to do, I was just surprised b/c I'm used to more variation based on his past touring. Could do w/o a few from this group: MotP, Piggy, Terrible Lie, Closer, Gave Up, Wish, THTF, Only, HLAH, Hurt. 3 or 4 of those should be replaced with some less burnt out songs.

Love how he comes out with no warning to kick off Copy of A, house lights on and everything. Great Destroyer is so much fun with that breakdown. Eraser was really heavy & menacing. Find My Way is the strongest song from the new record lyrically. Really enjoyed that one again tonight.

No drunk assholes ruined Hurt (or Find My Way) in my general vicinity, which was a surprise. Although please note: do NOT clap during Hurt. Trent doesn't encourage it, so don't do it. It's a slow, thoughtful song, not meant to be a clap along.

Trent has made several comments about not knowing how long until he'd be back, so I think touring is over for the next 2 or 3 years. Damn soundtrack commitments/child-rearing!

I hope the next tour is a bare bones stage show so the setlist doesnt have to be so regimented.
Mineral-9/6
Joyce Manor-9/15
Uncle Acid-9/26
Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 AM

Sounds just like my review of the Jones Beach show...

I love both bands hence me catching this tour four times but the NIN setlists are beyond stale like you stated. I've seen them 13 times now and was hoping for some variety like the Japan and UK tour but I guess not. Even though Soundgarden only switch a few songs I still found them more entertaining in Mansfield and Jones Beach. Gun was awesome to hear like you said and wasn't bad for Matt's first time playing it as Chris noted. I still say that JCP is the highlight of a SG set as that song has some serious power.

I still think the NIN set could have used more Hesitation songs in it. All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, I Would for You, In Two, and While I'm Still Here would all be better than the other songs I've heard over and over again.

The only thing I'm jealous of is DEP opening. Nothing I haven't seen in their set before but it's more active than OPN...
Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 PM
brotuhl

how does anybody clap to Hurt?
10/31 either Mastodon or Primus
11/16 Alt-J
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock91 View Post
how does anybody clap to Hurt?
Having seen them twice, they do.

Tags
nine inch nails, soundgarden, the dillinger escape plan