Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

False Prophet - The Second Death

For those of you who are wondering, False Prophet are an underground death/thrash band who just recently reformed. These guys have been around since the late eighties, when the death metal genre was just taking shape, but never achieved the recognition of their peers.

One thing that's strange right off the bat are some of the song lengths: for the style they play and the time this was released, these songs are rather lengthy, with two of them going past the ten minute mark! As with most bands of their style, the songs contain plenty of ferocious, marching, heavy riffs that almost have an early Sepultura (Schizophrenia-Beneath the Remains) sound to them. There are also quite a few awesome solos, typical for this style, that are both melodic and chaotic at the same time, backed by a tight rhythm section and commanded with raspy, throaty growls.

If you enjoy old school death metal or thrash metal, this album is DEFINITELY for you! This album was actually rereleased in 2014 with some extra demo tracks, so pick that one up, since the original is probably out of print.

Forgotten Souls
Holy Deception
First Born (included on the reissue, was released when the band was called Infernal Hierarchy)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Headbanger

Very cool thread
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
Jimmie's Chicken Shack - Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope

Okay, so maybe this isn't exactly something most of you have never heard of, so much as it's something most have forgotten about.

The mid/late 90's post grunge wave spawned countless bands, one of them being Jimmie's Chicken Shack. The post grunge sound spawned a lot of generic, bland, radio friendly bands who all sounded the same. Fortunately, on Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope, Jimmie's Chicken Shack are able to avoid these musical pitfalls for a number of reasons. The first reason is that the musicians in this band are actually very talented. Most of them have background in funk music, and it is used to full effect. The notorious repetitive power chords that are normally abused by bands in this genre do appear here, but fortunately, these guys use them appropriately and don't completely rely on them, and instead mix it up a bit with some funky rhythms and finger licking guitar solos. The bass guitar is of special note, being very audible and contributes a lot to the funky nature of the album, contributing very creative basslines. Another reason that these guys stand out is because unlike most post grunge bands, THEY ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO WRITE SONGS. All of the songs stand out in their own way, whether it be the hard rock of "Dropping Anchor", the Rage Against the Machine-esque "Spiderweb", or the funky, bouncy "High", every song has something to offer.

It's a shame they couldn't keep a hold of their unique blend of hard rock and funk displayed here, and instead succumbed to the commercialization of their peers on later releases. This is definitely a great album for those of you seeking a fun, enjoyable hard rock record.

High
Dropping Anchor
Spiderweb
I typed the last comment then went back a page and saw this. I've known and partied with these guys for a bunch of years. They play acoustic shows at local bars sometimes and I'll go just to get Jimi to play This is Not Hell.

For some reason that song is one of my favorite songs of all time. I can be sitting there having a casual conversation or singing along but when it kicks in I'll go mini-apeshit everytime. That song showed me that the heaviest parts of songs don't have to be crazy speed guitars and double bass drums. It's all in how you set it up... Awesome lyrics also. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVpoTjLpOY
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

My favorite part of these albums is the hand-drawn album art. So awesome.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
My favorite part of these albums is the hand-drawn album art. So awesome.
Totally agree. The singer for JCS did some of the coolest artwork I've ever seen. His Lincoln Pennies piece is MIND BLOWING! The handrix is pretty damn cool also...

http://www.jimihaha.com/jimi_haha_paintings.html