Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 PM

ScrewAttack Gaming Convention -- Dallas, TX -- July 11th-13th

For those of you who are unaware, the ScrewAttack Gaming Convention (Or SGC for short) is an annual gaming con thrown by the website ScrewAttack.com. It takes place every year in Dallas Texas at varying hotels and is basically a giant gamer party. It has a ranged guest list from people around the Internet. For more info you can check out the official website www.sgconvention.com.

THE GOOD

The People: The real reason I go to this con every year. Even if you aren't a fan of the website (Or a g1) it is still super easy to make friends. There is always a party going on or someone to hang out and play games with. The people are always super high energy and fun at all hours of the day and night. For an example on Thursday night about 70 of us raided the local Dave and Busters for an awesome party.

The vending room: The vendor room has a huge selection of video games, memorabilia and anime from various vendors around Texas. Funimation even had a booth. I myself bought an NES Toploader, a teal Nintendo 64 (I needed a new one because my old one was on the fritz) and a ton of games. If you aren't looking to spend money it would probably be best to avoid it.

Keiji Inafune: The creator of Mega Man, Dead Rising and Mighty Number 9 (Among others) was on hand at the con as the Guest of Honor. He had a 90 minute Q & A as well as two different autograph signings. When he wasn't busy with something he was just hanging out on the show floor. I got my copy of Mega Man 2 signed and it was an honor to meet someone so influential in gaming.

The arcade / console gaming room: This was the place to be. A huge selection of arcade games. Tons of fighting games, shoot em ups and beat 'em ups. The console gaming room had every console imaginable and I finally got to try out the new Killer Instinct. There was even a big screen streaming the EVO tournament. The only downside was the arcade machines sometimes had problems (although they were quickly fixed) and it was difficult to actually play games in the console room because they were always occupied.

The panels: SGC always has a great selection of panels ranging from informative to humorous. My personal favorite was the epic battle between ScrewAttack and Mega64 (Which you can watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2uCFSB9JLU). My friends and I were the ones in the Buttattack shirts cheering for Mega64 and it was amazing how much people in the crowd hated us for playing the heel.

THE BAD

The venue: The con was held at the Dallas Sheraton Hotel and while it was a very nice hotel it could be rather difficult to find your way around. I got lost a few times on the first day.

Some douchebag pulled the fire alarm on Friday night. Twice.

Food: The hotel had very few food options for later in the day. There was a mini mall with a food court across the street but that closed at 3:30PM. It seems like the smart thing to do would be to keep it open late because they would get a ton of business. There was a 7-11 down the street but that closed at midnight and getting any food from the hotel cost an arm and a leg (24 dollars for the breakfast buffet!).

All in all SGC is a fantastic weekend and one I would recommend to any hardcore gamer. I hope to see some of you there next year!

Last edited by Christen; 07-17-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 AM
with his arms outstretched

Man, if I wasn't married with kids and a job (i.e. if stuff like this existed twenty years ago) I would so go to this.

Too bad the food situation sucked. If there's one thing gamers need it's food. How else are we going to get fat and greasy?
03/07 -- Video Games Live
Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Man, if I wasn't married with kids and a job (i.e. if stuff like this existed twenty years ago) I would so go to this.

Too bad the food situation sucked. If there's one thing gamers need it's food. How else are we going to get fat and greasy?
It's a shame you can't come. It's definitely an amazing time.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I've wanted to come to this for a while. Always liked Screwattack.

What was the surprise game?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqeg...IymHGK-HW--4AQ

The entire Mega64 vs. ScrewAttack panel is up here

edit: whoops, didn't realize you linked it
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin OR Wolvhammer
Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I've wanted to come to this for a while. Always liked Screwattack.

What was the surprise game?
The surprise game was a total bummer. I don't even remember what it was called but it was some indy Smash Bros. clone. They had plans to try and get Mortal Kombat X, Super Smash Bros. and Mighty No. 9 as the mystery game but the deals fell through. The game itself looked fun but it just failed to bring the hype that Ducktales and Killer Instinct brought last year. But yeah, you should definitely come to SGC next year if you can. It's a ton of fun!