Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-07-2014, 07:29 PM
N00B

311 -- Sterling Heights, MI -- July 6th, 2014

The Wailers opened the show. Just before they started playing there was a recording of Bob Marley saying, "Greetings, Jah people!" That got a huge cheer from the crowd. Their set was pretty much what I expected. It was super fun! "Stir It Up" was an excellent live jam. The crowd sang the chorus of "Three Little Birds" louder than the band. "One Love" is one of my absolute favorite songs in the whole world, and they ended with it, so I was happy about that.

The Wailers setlist
Africa Unite
Zimbabwe
Is This Love
Stir It Up
Buffalo Soldier
Rastaman Vibration
No Woman, No Cry
Three Little Birds
Jamming
One Love

311 headlined. They normally play at Pine Knob every summer, but last night they played at Freedom Hill, a much smaller venue, and the place was less than half full (maybe 3-4,000 people). As Ian Faith says in Spinal Tap, their appeal is becoming more selective. But hey, everyone who passed on that show last night missed out for sure. That was one of the best 311 sets I've ever seen. Their new record STEREOLITHIC is excellent. Go buy it if you don't have it. As for the show, the new song "Sand Dollars" really showcased Tim's skills on guitar. "Sick Tight" is always a fun live jam. They dedicated "Time Bomb" to the excitable crew (a reference to that song's lyrics). "Never Ending Summer" was a blast. As usual, they had the drum jam during "Applied Science." They do that at every show, but it never gets old. It's awesome! The song "Random" has always been one of my absolute favorite 311 songs, so that was excellent. P-Nut did his bass solo as usual, and he ended it w/ "The Imperial March" from Star Wars. That was interesting. One of the highlights of the whole show was their ode to their hometown, "Omaha Stylee." That song is just a kick-ass live song, plain and simple. "You Wouldn't Believe" is one of their more fun live songs as well. It was a big hit for them circa 2001, but they really don't play it live that often. The best song of the night was the first song of the encore. They came out and did the last song off of their new CD called "Tranquility." It was absolutely beautiful. 311 is a band that I think everyone should go see live at least once. They are the perfect band to see outdoors on a beautiful summer night, or in last night's case a cloudy, grey summer night. Regardless of the weather, they were amazing.

311 setlist
Don't Stay Home
All Mixed Up
Showdown
Prisoner
Sand Dollars
Sick Tight
Time Bomb
Never Ending Summer
Beautiful Disaster
Applied Science (w/ drum jam)
Beyond The Grey Sky
Existential Hero
Come Original
Make It Rough
Random
Bass Solo
Friday Afternoon
Amber
Omaha Stylee
You Wouldn't Believe
Creatures (For A While)
--encore--
Tranquility
Down
2/9 MH
2/18 STYG
2/27 For Today
Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindeets View Post
a much smaller venue, and the place was less than half full (maybe 3-4,000 people).
Jeez, most of the shows I've been to this year have been in places that hold 150 people or less. haha
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM
N00B

WTF! I was just sitting around all night thinking there was nothing much going on. If only I had any clue this show was going on so close to me, arrrrrgh!

Tags
311, the wailers