Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Did anybody see the Talking Dead episode last night that previewed the 5th season?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Did anybody see the Talking Dead episode last night that previewed the 5th season?
I recorded it on DVR. I'm about a third of the way through Season 4 at this point (I just finished watching the episode where it's revealed that The Governor is coming back), so hopefully I'll be up to speed soon and then I'll check out the Talking Dead thing.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
If I would have known it was on I would have seen it
Probably be on On Demand shortly, I can imagine.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
OMG THAT WAS AN AMAZING TRAILER FOR SEASON FIVE!! WOOOW.

Lol, that was lame. Good episode though, I cannot wait to see what happens to the cast, and Terminus as well. The dude that plays Garreth (?) made me really interested in his character. I guess I felt kinda empty after they were all debuted in the last episode and we didn't get much knowledge or time to really soak in what they are all about (of course they're bad people, and that weird witchcraft room....and stealing everyones belongings, and and and) but it'll be nice to see more about them!

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Time to re-animate this thread!

Quote:
Finallly watched it last night, after finishing up with the last few episodes of Season 4. I'm all caught up on this phenomenal series now.

Wow, what a show. I totally misjudged this thing back when I watched the pilot and thought to myself, "meh, just another zombie show...not surprising, since zombies are supposedly so cool now". It's so much more than that, though. The special effects are truly cutting edge (no pun intended ), the acting is excellent, and the plot writing is simply FANTASTIC. The depth of the moral and ethical dilemmas conjured up in this ongoing saga are captivating, to say the least.

I'm not much of a comic fan these days, but if I had been then I'm sure I would have had a different perspective on this series before going into it, and I certainly wouldn't have waited until the fourth season was over before getting hooked. Now, because of the series, I seriously want to read the books. It just so happens that I know where I can get a bunch of them for free, so I hope to start reading them soon. Can't wait, since I'm keenly aware that, although there are many similarities between the two, the books and the show are separate entities with different plot details that can be enjoyed exclusively of each other.

Regarding the Talking Dead episode, like John said, it was kinda lame. The primary thing that caught my attention was that one of the leading theories about the folks at Terminus is...well, let's just say it coincides with the books. If that's true, it's going to be a hell of a fifth season.

At any rate, I do think I'll enjoy watching the Talking Dead after every episode of the series when it starts up again in October (too long!). It seems like Chris Hardwick and his guests are onto a pretty cool formula with their rabid fanboy/girlism.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Concert Veteran

You're completely right, Nat. This isn't just another zombie show. The focus on the human struggle to survive is what sets it apart from all the other zombie apocalypse shows/movies. The main hook to this series isn't the zombies, it's what the people have to do to survive and what lengths they will go to in order to stay alive, protect their loved ones and their possessions. This series shows exactly what I think the world would be like if a zombie apocalypse did happen. There's a reality element to this show (yes, I know it's fiction) that you just don't find a lot and there's no doubt in my mind that is one of the main reasons the show has gotten so huge.

I read over 100 issues of the comic and you're in for a treat with that. Things go down a lot differently in the comic though. They made it different enough from the TV show that neither one of them really spoil the other. In fact, I would say that there are more differences with the comic and the show then there are similarities.

Talking Dead is a good show. I can't recall a TV series ever having a "post game" show before but they've made it work here. Chris Hardwick is a good host and the guests are celebrity fans who are into the show. He even has cast members as guests to and the creator of The Walking Dead, Robert Kirkman has been on it a few times as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the comments. Great stuff.

I was having a conversation last night with my brother (who has been watching the series from the very beginning because he's not an idiot like me), and it sounded a lot like everything you said above. What I would add to it, though, is that in addition to all of the human struggle and dramatic aspects of the show that I agree are at the core of its success, it is still a damn good zombie story to boot. Not only are the special effects groundbreaking (I mean, why wouldn't they be with the legendary Greg Nicotero at the forefront of it all?), but the actors who play the zombies are top notch, and the background score, sound editing and camera work are all fantastic as well. Not only does the show make me think, but it scares the shit out of me at the same time. Only a truly phenomenal show could deliver all of those elements in one package.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
but the actors who play the zombies are top notch,
Except for that one who was seen the background drinking water during one of the shots

Welcome to the addiction! Its such a captivating show. So many people thnk "oh just another zombie show, cool", but there is just so much extra to it. I think the most horrifying and shocking scenes have been ones that didn't involve zombies at all (when Carol, Tyreese and the sisters were taking refuge at that house.....)

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
...when Carol, Tyreese and the sisters were taking refuge at that house.....)
Yeah, that rocked me to the core. I kinda saw it coming with the comments she had been making up to that point, but I just figured she was going to let one of the walkers scratch her so she would turn and - according to her theory - still be OK afterward. I never thought she would do what she actually did.

...and then there was what happened afterward, which was even more shocking and horrifying (because the decision was made by people who were supposedly fully sane), but if you think about it, what the hell else were they gonna do? They couldn't very well travel around in a post-zombie-apocalyptic world with a tiny psychopath who had already said that she was planning to do the same thing to Judith. They really had no choice.

That's why I like the show so much - it creatively uses the concept of a zombie apocalypse to change the rules of society and then asks challenging questions about what happens to morality and ethics when survival is often the sole - or at least primary - factor in most of the major decisions people make.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
...and then there was what happened afterward, which was even more shocking and horrifying (because the decision was made by people who were supposedly fully sane), but if you think about it, what the hell else were they gonna do? They couldn't very well travel around in a post-zombie-apocalyptic world with a tiny psychopath who had already said that she was planning to do the same thing to Judith. They really had no choice.
Carol is becoming the Andrea the show never had. Which is a bit of a shame, because I think Andrea could have been a better Andrea than Carol can be. She's taking on her role to some degree. The show is drawing parallels to the comic using Carol's character instead of Andrea's, and it's really interesting the way they're doing it.

Carol's character has never fully clicked with me. I think her communication skills are extremely poor. Maybe Lizzy was, as Rick said in that one episode, "too far gone" by the time Carol was in a position to influence her, but I feel like Carol could have put much more effort into Lizzy's rehabilitation than she did before deciding execution was the solution. Then again I might need to re-watch season 4 (a lot has happened since the spring and the show is not fresh on my mind), but I distinctly remember feeling that way after the "just look at the flowers" episode. Thinking, "I doubt Dale would have been on board with that."

You know, I really disliked Andrea when she was on screen. I liked aspects of her character, but found her, overall, pretty exasperating. Now I wish she was still part of the series. I just don't think Carol can bring the weight Andrea could.

Still though, Carol might have come the farthest, in terms of character development, of anyone on the show.