Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Saw this as it relates to BTBAM & playing pre-Colors songs:

Quote:
Between The Buried And Me guitarist Paul Waggoner has revealed that it will be a rarity if the band perform anything pre-”Colors” live. Speaking with Heavyblogisheavy.com on the bands current tour with Meshuggah, Waggoner told the site of playing their earlier material:

“You will probably never hear anything off of the self-titled, unless something weird happens, you’ll probably never hear that old stuff [live.]“

He later stated of their older work:

“…It has a special place in my heart as well but the reality is that most of our fans came on board with “Colors” or maybe “Alaska” so we have to cater to that, unfortunately. We would like to play some old stuff but the fact of the matter is that most people have never heard it, don’t care, and don’t know what it is.”
Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I'd be okay with BTBAM never playing a pre-Colors song again. I'd also be okay with them never performing a post-Colors song again. Just give me all of Colors every single time.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Buahahahahaha

I strongly disagree with what Paul had to say about playing older material. If his reasoning is that the live show is about the fans, he should know well that while there's many fans who are only familiar with the newer material, there are plenty of fans who've been with the band since the start or just fans that like the older material a lot, so it's nice to treat those fans to one old tune here and there. I know plenty of people dying to hear All Bodies. And plus if the newer fans only the know the new stuff, playing even just one older tune might intrigue those fans to check out the band's older catalogue and learn more about the band. There's really no good reason to completely ignore older material.
12/07 Pallbearer
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Let's get real here is anyone really that upset that BTBAM is ignoring their first two records-save for a few tracks like Destructo Spin and Shavnel Cut a Flip? The Alaska material is the main stuff I would want to hear live from their first three records and it really bums me out that they won't play a majority of that record live anymore. All Bodies is glorious live and I would love to see stuff like Backwards Marathon, Roboturner, the title track and Laser Speed appear in their set at some point in time.

I understand Paul's reasoning of them not wanting to play pre-Colors stuff, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Like slap said, it wouldn't hurt to throw in 1-2 pre-Colors songs per tour to please the hardcore fans and to potentially persuade people who've only heard their last couple records to explore their older material further.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Tinnitus

I think BTBAM should try to do an Alaska 10th anniversary tour next year. I would sooooo go to that.
12/9 ETID
Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommie View Post
I think BTBAM should try to do an Alaska 10th anniversary tour next year. I would sooooo go to that.
This.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Let's get real here is anyone really that upset that BTBAM is ignoring their first two records-save for a few tracks like Destructo Spin and Shavnel Cut a Flip? The Alaska material is the main stuff I would want to hear live from their first three records and it really bums me out that they won't play a majority of that record live anymore. All Bodies is glorious live and I would love to see stuff like Backwards Marathon, Roboturner, the title track and Laser Speed appear in their set at some point in time.

I understand Paul's reasoning of them not wanting to play pre-Colors stuff, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Like slap said, it wouldn't hurt to throw in 1-2 pre-Colors songs per tour to please the hardcore fans and to potentially persuade people who've only heard their last couple records to explore their older material further.
Yeah the comment is definitely more towards Alaska material cutting the cut, but I wanna see Shevanel Cut A Flip damn it!
12/07 Pallbearer
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 06-11-2014, 03:35 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Saw this as it relates to BTBAM & playing pre-Colors songs:

Quote:
Between The Buried And Me guitarist Paul Waggoner has revealed that it will be a rarity if the band perform anything pre-”Colors” live. Speaking with Heavyblogisheavy.com on the bands current tour with Meshuggah, Waggoner told the site of playing their earlier material:

“You will probably never hear anything off of the self-titled, unless something weird happens, you’ll probably never hear that old stuff [live.]“

He later stated of their older work:

“…It has a special place in my heart as well but the reality is that most of our fans came on board with “Colors” or maybe “Alaska” so we have to cater to that, unfortunately. We would like to play some old stuff but the fact of the matter is that most people have never heard it, don’t care, and don’t know what it is.”
Such bullshit. This is exactly what Joe Elliot said about playing very little pre-Pyromania material. Really, bands don't have to cater to anyone but themselves. Throwing hardcore fans a bone every now and again certainly won't drive people away.

10/30 - King Diamond
12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang

Tags
between the buried and me, meshuggah