Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

  #1  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Cross Face Chicken Wing Cross Face Chicken Wing is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 90
Red Fang -- Minneapolis, MN -- June 4th, 2014

Malverde
Crows in Swine
Blood Like Cream
No Hope
Number Thirteen
The Shadows
Sharks
The Undertow
1516
Into the Eye
Wires
DOEN
Throw Up
Dirt Wizard
Prehistoric Dog

Observations:

*These guys are a very underrated live band. They're challenging Sevendust for most underrated live band out there.
*The audience at a Red Fang show is weird. They're into the show, but they're not very loud between songs, they don't sing along, there isn't much headbanging and whenever a pit breaks out, it's more like a game of grabass instead of moshing.
*It's a strange vibe, but like I said, the audience seems to really dig the show, but doesn't express their appreciation the same way most rock/metal crowds do.
*The audience is also made up entirely of fat people and hipsters. Perhaps that explains the awkwardness.
*I love Red Fang because they do a little bit everything and they do it all well. I also wonder if that holds them back from taking the next step up in popularity. They might be too heavy for the more mainstream crowd, not heavy enough for the metalheads, catchy, but too rough around the edges for radio play and talented players, but not technical enough for the guitar/bass/drum nerds.
*Prehistoric Dog is one of the best live songs ever.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 AM
BTBAM310's Avatar
BTBAM310 BTBAM310 is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Face Chicken Wing View Post
Malverde
Crows in Swine
Blood Like Cream
No Hope
Number Thirteen
The Shadows
Sharks
The Undertow
1516
Into the Eye
Wires
DOEN
Throw Up
Dirt Wizard
Prehistoric Dog

Observations:

*These guys are a very underrated live band. They're challenging Sevendust for most underrated live band out there.
*The audience at a Red Fang show is weird. They're into the show, but they're not very loud between songs, they don't sing along, there isn't much headbanging and whenever a pit breaks out, it's more like a game of grabass instead of moshing.
*It's a strange vibe, but like I said, the audience seems to really dig the show, but doesn't express their appreciation the same way most rock/metal crowds do.
*The audience is also made up entirely of fat people and hipsters. Perhaps that explains the awkwardness.
*I love Red Fang because they do a little bit everything and they do it all well. I also wonder if that holds them back from taking the next step up in popularity. They might be too heavy for the more mainstream crowd, not heavy enough for the metalheads, catchy, but too rough around the edges for radio play and talented players, but not technical enough for the guitar/bass/drum nerds.
*Prehistoric Dog is one of the best live songs ever.
They should open with Prehistoric Dog, Malverde is a terrible opener - it was on the album, too.

They need to throw Reverse Thunder and Hank is Dead into the set.

You're right, they are a great live act. I've only had the pleasure of seeing them once - opening for Dillinger Escape Plan and Mastodon - they were the best of the 3 bands that night.
__________________
NIN/Soundgarden (08/24/14 - Mountain View, CA)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is online now
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,693
I think you and I went to a COMPLETELY different show last night.

I saw no Hipsters. People were singing, drinking, and partying and actually circle pitting correctly.

It was a great night, all three bands kicked ass. American Sharks have a great Torche Vibe to them, Big Business has one of the best drummers I have witnessed in quite some time and Red Fang were Red Fang.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Cross Face Chicken Wing Cross Face Chicken Wing is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 90
Yeah, we must have been at different shows because everything you said was incorrect except the part about it being a great night.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is online now
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Face Chicken Wing View Post
Yeah, we must have been at different shows because everything you said was incorrect except the part about it being a great night.
I was by the merch table so I could see everything quite clearly.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Cross Face Chicken Wing Cross Face Chicken Wing is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I was by the merch table so I could see everything quite clearly.
We were probably right next to each other! Next time say hi and I'll buy you a beer and teach you a thing or two about a proper circle pit
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is online now
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Face Chicken Wing View Post
We were probably right next to each other! Next time say hi and I'll buy you a beer and teach you a thing or two about a proper circle pit
If you saw a guy in an Arsis shirt, that was me.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Coma323 Coma323 is offline
...
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Big Business has one of the best drummers I have witnessed in quite some time
They're such a fun band live. Did they play Guns at all? Love that song live.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is online now
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
They're such a fun band live. Did they play Guns at all? Love that song live.
Honestly I never heard the band before last night. I knew of them but never had the chance to check them out. Looking at past setlists it doesn't look like that song is being played on this tour.

Lonely Lyle was a fantastic closer. It turned into a gigantic drum solo while the other guys sang a passage over it. The fuck is so fucking good on the drums, and it confused me watching him because he is left handed so it was like I was watching a drummer play backwards. haha
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 PM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is offline
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Face Chicken Wing View Post
Yeah, we must have been at different shows because everything you said was incorrect except the part about it being a great night.
It's funny. I was out with this chick last night and made the casual comment There are more Hipsters here than usual. She said she didn't see any. At that exact moment a guy walked by us and I looked at her to laugh and she didn't get it.

It was 90 degrees last night and Dude was rocking a knit hat, scarf and tweed f'n jacket. I just said You're definitely not getting that role on CSI: Hipster and cracked up.
__________________
9/27 - Clutch
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
red fang

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008