Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 AM
Altars of Radness

Scion Rock Fest -- Pomona, CA -- May 17th, 2014

It was a surprise to everyone when it was announced that Scion Rock Fest would be returning to Pomona. This year’s lineup was a strong contrast to the 2011 one, focusing heavily on the doom, stoner, and psychedelic genres instead of extreme metal, however it still brought a number of rare performances to the area. As enjoyable as 2011’s fest was, it did not come without problems. The festival that year was a zoo; the will call line was insanely long and venues were reaching capacity quickly, causing many people to miss the bands they came to see. Thankfully Scion had worked out the problems this time around. It seemed like they allowed much fewer people to RSVP, which would explain why the list filled up in less than 24 hours as compared to nearly three days for the 2011 festival.

The venue set up this year was a bit different from 2011. Instead of having two big tents for the smaller bands to play in they used two intimate venues, Acerogami and the Sky Fox Lounge. I was worried that the small venues would reach capacity quickly, but that turned out to not be the case in my experience. Everything throughout the day went smoothly and it seemed that the festival was much better organized this time around.

With my wristband on will call I showed up a little over an hour beforehand to get in line. I was relieved to find only a small number of people were there. After picking up my wristband I went over to the Scion merch booth and picked up a free bag, which included a festival shirt, socks, USB drive, and the new Red Fang 7”. Each bag came with different records, so later on I went back and got another one which ended up having the High On Fire single and a couple of splits.

The first band of the day was Nekrogoblikon at the Glass House, but I had no interest in seeing them so I went and grabbed some food. I came back just as Colorado’s Speedwolf was setting up. The crowd for them was surprisingly sparse, but that did not seem to discourage the band. During the last song a fan managed to get over the barricade and onto the stage, stealing the mic to sing a few lines before stage diving, all while the security looked on. That put a big smile on Reed’s face. They only played for about 25 minutes, but I enjoyed their set despite the sound being a bit muddy.
  1. ?
  2. ?
  3. Out on Bail
  4. Speedwolf
  5. Up all Night
  6. One Percenter from Hell
  7. Denver 666

After Speedwolf finished I headed over to the Fox Theater to catch Orchid. I believe this was their first time playing in Southern California (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong), which is strange considering they live only a few hours north in San Francisco. I was able to find a spot on the rail and was blown away by them. Their sound was spot on and they put on a remarkable performance. Everything about them made me feel like I had time traveled to the early ‘70s. They’ve absolutely nailed the early Black Sabbath sound and even the vocalist’s mannerisms reminded me of Ozzy. I wished they wouldn’t have stopped playing as I was really not expecting to enjoy them as much as I did.

I'm not entirely sure if they played Eastern Woman, so correct me if I'm wrong.
  1. Saviours of the Blind
  2. Wizard of War
  3. Capricorn
  4. Silent One
  5. Eastern Woman
  6. He Who Walks Alone

I then returned to the Glass House to see Power Trip, who has gained a decent following since the release of their debut album last year. It seemed strange to watch them in a venue with a barricade, since their shows are typically abound with stage divers, but they still put on an engaging show. Riley was energetic and bridged the gap between the crowd by standing up on the rail to let fans scream along for a while. After the first few songs he asked if anybody had requests, since they didn’t prepare a setlist for the show. Unlike the usual case when a band asks for song requests, they actually pulled out a couple of songs that aren’t in their regular set, Heretic’s Fork and The Evil Beat. Although they never play longer than a half hour I was a bit disappointed that they stopped with fifteen minutes left in their 45 minute allotted set time. I did enjoy seeing them again though.
  1. Drown / Manifest Decimation
  2. Conditioned to Death
  3. Crossbreaker
  4. Heretic's Fork
  5. The Evil Beat
  6. Suffer No Fool
  7. Divine Apprehension

Exhumed was up after Power Trip. They play here at least once every six months, so their appearance was nothing special, but I wanted to see them again since they are always a powerful live band. When they came on stage Matt announced the first song before they unleashed a storm of razor sharp riffs and blast beats. The band was on point and could not have put on a better show. Since Bud Burke rejoined the band in 2012 it seems that their performances have improved a lot. For some reason the room was only about half full for them, but they got a good reaction out of those who decided to see them. The setlist was comprised of the typical material, but I was glad to hear Necromaniac again. I do wish they would change up the older songs some more though.
  1. Decrepit Crescendo
  2. The Matter of Splatter
  3. Coins Upon the Eyes
  4. Necrocracy
  5. Limb from Limb
  6. Your Funeral, My Feast
  7. Distorted and Twisted to Form
  8. In the Name of Gore
  9. Dysmorphic
  10. All Guts, No Glory
    Guitar solo (Bud Burke)
  11. As Hammer to Anvil
  12. Torso
  13. Sickened
  14. Necromaniac

There was an hour of down time for me after Exhumed so I hung out for a while before heading over to the Sky Fox Lounge, which is actually a nightclub that is on top of the Fox Theater. It’s an intimate room with a very small stage. I was there to see Jex Thoth, who I never expected I would see live. As far as I know they’ve never been here before or even toured the US until now. As soon as they started playing the smell of incense filled the room, setting the aura for their set. Jessica seemed to become possessed by the spirit of the music, moving with flow of the instruments and looking out to the crowd in a trance-like state. The crowd seemed to be equally entranced by her performance. During one song she walked through the crowd holding burning incense on her knife before taking it off to hand it to a member of the audience.

The setlist focused primarily on their most recent album, Blood Moon Rise, but also included a few songs from their eponymous debut, which got an especially loud reaction from the crowd. After they finished their set they left the stage, but the crowd chanted for one more song. They returned for an unplanned encore, playing a song from the first EP, Totem. Their set was among the best performances I’ve witnessed and I feel lucky to have been able to see them live. Jessica hung out for a bit afterward, so I also got to meet her.
  1. To Bury
  2. The Places You Walk
  3. Nothing Left to Die
  4. The Divide
  5. Raven nor the Spirit
  6. Keep Your Weeds
  7. Separated at Birth
  8. Ehjä
  9. Son of Yule
    ---
  10. Kagemni

The atmosphere in the Sky Fox Lounge was about to change drastically as the Japanese death / doom purveyors, Coffins, were about to tear down the walls. It had been five years since they last laid waste to Southern California, so it was time for them return to finish the job. The room filled in quite a bit for their set and the crowd was ready for the impending devastation. I don’t think the Sky Fox Lounge has or ever will see a band so crushing ever again. The guitar tone alone was so heavy that I’m surprised the floor didn’t collapse onto Machine Head, who was playing below. The entire set was practically a headbanging marathon and the band seemed pleased to be playing in front of an enthusiastic crowd. Vocalist Jun Tokita even stage dived near the end of the set. Seeing Coffins was a great end to a killer day of awesome music and hanging out with good friends.
  1. Here Comes Perdition
  2. Hellbringer
  3. Under the Stench
  4. The Colossal Hole
  5. Till Dawn of Dooms Day
  6. The Vacant Pale Vessel
  7. Evil Infection
  8. Slaughter of Gods

Last edited by treghet; 05-19-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 AM
N00B

I like that Exhumed set even though ive seen them perform all of those tracks I believe.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Skipped out on this in the end but glad it was more organized.

2011 Glasshouse reached capacity fast.

Overall, sounds like a cool time dude!
Tough Mudder-10/26
Real Friends/Neck Deep?-11/7
Old 05-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
There was an hour of down time for me after Exhumed so I hung out for a while before heading over to the Sky Fox Lounge, which is actually a nightclub that is on top of the Fox Theater. It’s an intimate room with a very small stage. I was there to see Jex Thoth, who I never expected I would see live. As far as I know they’ve never been here before or even toured the US until now. As soon as they started playing the smell of incense filled the room, setting the aura for their set. Jessica seemed to become possessed by the spirit of the music, moving with flow of the instruments and looking out to the crowd in a trance-like state. The crowd seemed to be equally entranced by her performance. During one song she walked through the crowd holding burning incense on her knife before taking it off to hand it to a member of the audience.

The setlist focused primarily on their most recent album, Blood Moon Rise, but also included a few songs from their eponymous debut, which got an especially loud reaction from the crowd. After they finished their set they left the stage, but the crowd chanted for one more song. They returned for an unplanned encore, playing a song from the first EP, Totem. Their set was among the best performances I’ve witnessed and I feel lucky to have been able to see them live. Jessica hung out for a bit afterward, so I also got to meet her.
  1. To Bury
  2. The Places You Walk
  3. Nothing Left to Die
  4. The Divide
  5. Raven nor the Spirit
  6. Keep Your Weeds
  7. Separated at Birth
  8. Ehjä
  9. Son of Yule
    ---
  10. Kagemni
You fucking lucky bag of shit. I am going to slap you if I ever meet you.

That's a damn fine set, too. Of course, I'd love to see them do the Equinox Suite sometime (or at least the last part of it), but that's still a pretty sweet set. Glad to see that they honored their self-titled album fairly well - it's the fucking shit.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

FINALLY YOU MADE A THREAD.

I was a bit late due to parking so I missed King Buzzo. A bit bummed about that. I got thee just in time for Speedwolf(the 2nd most wanting band I wanted to see at the fest). I was in the back for them. I wasnt big on the songs they chose but I feel they played a good performance. I think its safe to say Speedwolf sold the most shirts that day out of everyone.

Next band I saw In Cold Blood. East coast Hardcore band with Integrity members. This is thier 3rd show in 15 years(no one ever knew how they looked). They played to a small crowed but all the HXC kids were swinging and karate chopping like crazy to them. Even some of the old dudes sang a long. They were REALLY good live and id recommend them to people of Hardcore. I think the drummer they were using is also in Homewrecker.

Power Trip was probably my 2nd favorite of the day. They were greatful that people actually ditched Crowbar for them. They played a typical set(longer than the last time I saw them). The fan had all their typical Hardcore fans hxc dancing but a lot of Thrashers were there watching them as well(im assuming so they'd keep busy til Exhumed played). The crowed reaction was great and they even played The evil Beat which is my favorite song. I saw some Thrashers with new Power Trip shirts after. I have feeling Power Trip isnt Crossovers best secret anymore. The audience was halfway filled for them by my surprise since ICB wasnt.

After Exhumed played(ive been seeing them a lot lately). They played to a very large crowed. Thy played pretty much the same set from the Toxic Holocaust tour. And even tho im a bit tired of them live,I cant help but lose my shit during Limb From Limb,The Matter Of Splatter,Dysmorphic,and especially Torso. Typical Exhumed set,but ya gotta love em.

Bl'ast! the legandary 80s Hardcore Punk band that recently reunited played. Ive always thought they were ok but they bored me to death live. I understand Speedwolf is a rip off of Motorhead and Midnight is a rip off of Venom but Bl'ast copies Black Flag so bad I just cant stand it.

The main reason I went was for Midnight. After Speedwolf I had bought a shirt off Athenar(hoodless). He was a real cool dude. I told him how much I was stoked to see him play. Around the time Midnight was about to play I made sure I was front row center. The band was tuning and what not on stage without the hoods on. After like 10 min,3 hooded men got on stage and gave out one of the performances Ive seen this year. Athenar joked a lot on stage. At the end of their last song He burned he put cloth on his bass and set it on fire. Athemar put his chest on his and then eventually put it out and destroyed it. He gave parts of it to the audience while the guitar player ripped his stings out and threw em. Luckily they had back ups cause they gave us an encour.

When i was about to go home I passed by the band putting their stuff away. I go up to Athenar.

Me: Hey Athenar,sorry to bug you,but you think I can take a pic with you?

Athenar: *looks a bit suprised that I knew it was him* Uhhhh you’re not gonna put this on a computer are you?

Me: Uhhh can you put your mask on?

Athenar: Sure!

Midnight set:
Vomit Queen
Evil Like A Knife(new song)
Lust,Filth,And Sleeze
All Hail Hell
White Hot Fire
I Am Violator
You Can't Stop Steel
Endless Slut
Violence On Violence
Satanic Royalty
Unholy And Rotten
-------------------
Black Rock N Roll

Right after Midnight I caught the last 15 min of Coffins. I was too tired to fully enjoy them,but from what I saw,they were badass.

More Highlights:
I ate a Peanutbutter and Jelly Bacon burger from Grill Em All
2 free Scion shirts and socks
Saw the singer of Nails in the audience. And well as Scott from Repulsion.
Kerry from Deafheaven was there and I talked to him for a bit.
Midnight,Bl'ast!,Power Trip,and In Cold Blood did not play the full set times they were supposed to(Which I expected)

Last edited by elturtleboy; 05-19-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Damn work for making me miss this. I even got an email on Thursday saying that I got passed through the waiting list and had a ticket/wristband waiting for me in will call on the day of the event.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
N00B

KING BUZZO

01. Boris
02. Ballad Of Dwight Fry
03. Dark Brown Teeth
04. Laid Back Walking
05. Drunken Baby
06. We Are Doomed

I never left the Fox. King Buzzo is confirmed, High On Fire is based on a pic of the setlist.

Furywhip
Razorhoof
Fertile Green
Madness
Hessian
Speedwolf
Fireface
Devilution
Zion
Serums
Rumors
Save The
Snakes
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

So jelly you got to see In Cold Blood, Bl'ast, and Midnight in the same day.

I'd add Power Trip to that but I'll actually be seeing them in Aug. Those other three bands I'll never see
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I have the Crowbar setlist and will post it tomorrow with a review. I don't think High on Fire played all those songs. They played a 60 minute set and I'm pretty sure only played 10 or 11 songs.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
You fucking lucky bag of shit. I am going to slap you if I ever meet you.

That's a damn fine set, too. Of course, I'd love to see them do the Equinox Suite sometime (or at least the last part of it), but that's still a pretty sweet set. Glad to see that they honored their self-titled album fairly well - it's the fucking shit.
The more material from the first album the better, but I was just happy they played Nothing Left to Die. Since Blood Moon Rise came out they've been alternating songs from the first album and that one wasn't always in the set. Also, Jessica didn't speak to the crowd the entire set, not even a thank you. It added a certain mystique to the performance. All music, no bullshit. I like it that way.

Tags
coffins, exhumed, high on fire, jex thoth, king buzzo, midnight, orchid, power trip, speedwolf