Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 2 25.00%
Final Fantasy VII 3 37.50%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 12.50%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Worst Game
Nominees: Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII

I guess the rankings I put at the end of every entry gives this one away too. Final Fantasy II couldíve been much better if they did something different with the leveling. And thereís still time to do that with a remake. I donít know why they havenít. Mystic Quest was set to win this category until I researched and remembered further into the series. XIIIÖoh XIII, damn you to hell.

Final Fantasy X-2 wins just by being able to make me vomit in my mouth BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTED.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM

The Future
Iím very worried about the future of Final Fantasy. With every game they get further and further from the mid-1990ís heyday I prefer. In gameplay, design and overall feel. Iíve seen screen shots for Final Fantasy XV and what Iíve seen I DO NOT like. The game itself will probably be beautiful and flashy but I know there will be a lot I will hate. Like terrible cringe-worthy dialogue, CARS and probably zero character customization. Like I said in one review; I canít connect with the characters anymore. Iím thirty-three years old. My dad is a great guy. Iím not confused about girls (I like them and if they threw themselves at me I caught). I donít use hair product. I wear one belt and do up all my buttons. Iím the complete opposite of every lead in every Final Fantasy for the last fifteen years.

However, some game came out recently called ďBravely DefaultĒ which was a huge success. And it was a game that apparently harkens back to the earlier days of Final Fantasy. Squaresoft developed this game and noticing its success has said that they may take Final Fantasy back that route. Or they may release more games that are ďlikeĒ earlier Final Fantasies but donít fall under the Final Fantasy banner, else while releasing Final Fantasy games that are further and further from the classics. Only time will tell. Iíll always have those old games and Iíll always love them. I hope my sons appreciate the earlier games and understand my dislike for the newer games.

The future for Final FantasyÖis very clouded.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Great thread!!
Kinda spaced on the previous page because I haven't been online very much, but great stuff! That city in FF XII looks AWESOME.

When it comes down to most favorite summon I'd have to go with Ifirit because he was the first one I ever saw... and then Knights of the Round and Bahamut Zero .... maybe Odin in there somewhere too. I remember finding Odin in VIII was a BITCH, but so worth it once you got him

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 AM

I'll update the thread as time goes on. I'm deep into Final Fantasy VIII right now so that review will get an update soon. My dad ripped me a copy of Spirits Within so I may update that soon too. And I'm getting Lightning Returns for my birthday in a few weeks, but I probably won't redo my review until late Summer. Unless it's so AWESOME that I can't stop playing......yeah, right. I've also been chipping away at the original game (on Playstation and on Easy) but my thoughts on that game haven't changed at all.

And whenever Final Fantasy XV is released I'll be buying a next generation system and playing that.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-03-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Here's some links to some well written articles on Final Fantasy:

http://www.gamesradar.com/why-every-...in-the-series/ - This one inspired me to do this.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/fin.../ff1/ff1-1.htm - I happened on this one after I was done writing. It may seem a little long but it goes more in-depth than I did. But it gives you the basic what you need to know. The guy who wrote it clearly does not like the way the series has gone but he takes it out on the series a lot harder. He does make a negative reference to Balthier at one point. That's a no-no. Sadly the article only goes as far as Final Fantasy V.

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff - Clicking on the link at the top of that last article lead me to this. I haven't gotten to read it yet but it pretty much looks like what I was hoping to accomplish. The whole site has a lot of good articles and write-ups. But it seems to me like everyone who writes there hasn't liked anything since 1991, and none of them like video games (which is strange since it's a site of mostly video games).
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-04-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM

How's FFVIII treating you?

Will look into those articles sometime soon! Love reading about video game series' that I love

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
How's FFVIII treating you?

Will look into those articles sometime soon! Love reading about video game series' that I love
I won't lie, I'm not really liking it and a I realize now why I forgot it. It's too realistic, which I can live with, and it's just not fun. Battles are just a chore and the characters are doing nothing for me. And it's pacing isn't that great. I played for five hours last night where I was in a Galbanian prison, then a missile base then the attack on Balalmb Garden. After that I fought that NORG guy, which I lost. And there was a ten minute dialogue scene before the battle that I didn't want to sit through again so I turned it off. I'm going to play through the whole thing but as of now my review won't be so kind.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM

I think that's why I enjoyed it so much, but I just rememebr some of the bosses being a total bitch! Especially that giant robot guy near the beginning when you go into Dollet (?).

Rewatch Spririts Within yet? Would love to see a new review, god I hated that movie. I never fall asleep during movies, but no joke, that movie put me to sleep! I rewatched the missed sections the next night and felt as though I will never get that lost time back

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I think that's why I enjoyed it so much, but I just rememebr some of the bosses being a total bitch! Especially that giant robot guy near the beginning when you go into Dollet (?).

Rewatch Spririts Within yet? Would love to see a new review, god I hated that movie. I never fall asleep during movies, but no joke, that movie put me to sleep! I rewatched the missed sections the next night and felt as though I will never get that lost time back
That boss was annoying. There are a lot if battles against the clock in this game and I hate those. The boss of the missile base (i think it's name was BHD23D75 or somethibg, some robot tank) was a pain in the ass too.

The dependency on Guardian Forces is a pain too. They're really the only way my characters can cause any serious damage and those long ass summons are fun to watch ONCE. Not two or three times a battle and not when you have to tap the square button the whole time.

My dad ripped me a copy of Spirits Within and as long as it works in my PlayStation I'll probably be watching it this weekend. I wasn't going to pay for that shit, you don't get to being a movie that put a studio under by having people pay for you.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
There are a lot if battles against the clock in this game and I hate those.
THIS TIMES SIX SIX SIX. I remember that being my main turn off from the game as well. That's probably why I couldn't enjoy Dead Rising as much as I wanted to since the whole game was about time.

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com