Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 PM
with his arms outstretched

Sonic Youth – Silver Session (For Jason Knuth)

You may be wondering how an album comprising entirely of feedback can ever make its way onto someone’s “favorite albums of all time” list. I always thought the same thing too, until I heard this album. I find this album really soothing and hypnotic rather than shrill and annoying. It’s not over done too. Most times feedback tracks can drag on forever but the tracks on here rarely last longer than three minutes. Even though the songs are mostly the same there are enough little changes here and there (like the beats in Silver Son and Silver Mirror) to keep me fully entertained for a full half an hour. And while I usually hate fade-outs and fade-ins I really like the drawn out fades on this album. It adds to the soothing feeling of this album. If you only ever buy one album consisting of a half an hour of feedback, buy this one.
Favorite Song: Silver Panties

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 11-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 PM

adamclark52's LEAST favorite albums

Death Ė Individual Thought Patterns (1993)

ďDerp, youz ner liks Death? yr nut metal, yr nut br00tal, yr nut tr00 kvlt, derp, you Justin Beiber, yoz false metal, derpĒ
No, I have great respect for Chuck Schuldiner and the contributions he made to death metal. I recognize that death metal would not be what it is today if it was not for him. And I feel his untimely death was a great loss to the underground metal community and a tragedy. But I donít like Death. At all. This is the only Death album I ever owned and by all accounts itís their/his worst album. But Iíve listened to a lot of the other stuff and I just donít enjoy it. Part of it is that a young adamclark52 first heard Death in 1995 and thought that a band named ďDEATHĒ shouldíve been the heaviest, guttural death metal band ever, and they werenít. I just didnít find Death heavy enough. Another part of it is the music is just too boring for me. Too much wankery. And that can be said for my opinion on every other progressive death metal band: Cynic, Decrepit Birth, Atheist, they just all bore me. Give me unbridled brutality any day over technical proficiency. Another reason is I just donít get why people love Death so much more than Suffocation or Deicide. I remember Decibel magazines top 100 death metal albums issue had two Death albums in the top ten. And had almost every other Death album was on it. Why wasnít EVERY album by Immolation on it? Why was Pierced from Within number sixty two? And the last reason is I think I was just born in the wrong decade to fully appreciate Death. Had I been a teenager in the 1980ís I may be singing a different tune. But I wasnít and I think this album sucks. I bought it for the Philosopher and enjoyed that song. But everything leading up to it just bored the hell out of me. I should go back and re-listen to it again today but I canít because I actually sold it five years ago.
Worst Song: doesnít matter

07/06 -- U2
Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Memento OST (2001)

Memento is one of the best movies youíve probably never seen. So you should Netflick or stream or whatever you kids do these days and watch it right now. The movie is awesome and the soundtrack is just as good. Almost. I donít like it when a soundtrack is filled with songs that are ďinspired byĒ the movie yet werenít even in the movie. Half the songs on this album (save David Bowies Something in the Air) werenít anywhere to be heard in the movie. And none of them are that great anyway. But what this album does have is the hypnotic score. It really never consists of more than droning keyboards and dialogue from the movie but fuck is it cool. In the movie the music is perfect for every scene and on itís own the music is just as cool. Buy the movie and buy the soundtrack. I can guarantee youíll watch the movie at least twice the first day and probably a few more times in the coming weeks. I usually watch a movie once. Even if I liked it I very rarely watch them more. But Iíve probably watched this movie at least ten times and will watch it again some day. That doesnít sound like much but thatís a lot for me. Just take my advice. Some guy named Christopher Nolan made it too, that may mean something to some of you.
Favorite Song: Leonard And Natalie

This is my favorite scene.
I think more people have seen Memento than you think. It was hyped pretty heavily when it came out. I liked it but didn't have interest in watching it again and that scene didn't change that fact. What it did do is crack me up because of the "I used to love this movie when I was Emo" comment. That was funny as hell...

A movie with a great soundtrack that you may not have seen that I feel like you do about Memento is Strange Days. My buddy's band used to cover that Skunk song Selling Jesus. Love that shit!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Deicide
Scars of the Crucifix (2004)

the Stench of Redemption (2006)

There was a time when Deicide was a joke. I had two albums in my list a few pages ago that are essential for any death metal collection. They followed those two albums up with a very strong Once Upon the Cross (1995) and a solid but somewhat mediocre Serpents of the Light (1997). Then around the turn of the century they got fed up with their label and released two completely terrible albums (2000ís Insineratehymn and 2001ís In Torment in Hell). People figured the band was done and itís not hard to agree with them when you listen to either of those albums. Scars of the Crucifix had the misfortune of following in the shadow of those two albums. Itís actually a really, really good album. Thereís a rekindled sense of anger and just all-around pissed-off vigor that was missing on their last three albums. The songs were some of the most brutal, heavy and fastest that Deicide has penned since their first two albums and they really havenít sounded this angry since then. Glenís vocals on this album just sound POSSESSED. Itís just too bad that people had given up on them and this album flew under the radar. I strongly encourage you check it out; itís one of my favorite Deicide albums. While no one cared about Scars of the Crucifix the same canít be said for the Stench of Redemption. For whatever reason people took notice of this album when it came out and it was massive, highly praised and a career rejuvenation for the band. The biggest reason was obviously the fact that they had two new guitar players in the band that breathed new life into the music. Ralph Santollas neo-classical shred stylingís were a total one eighty for the band after years of basic, brutal speed and aggression. They were like a whole new band on this album but at the same time they were still Deicide. Just *gasp* matured. Itís not my favorite Deicide album (although it is in my top five) but itís the perfect album to release to tell people ďweíre backĒ. Even if you don't like Deicide or death metal you should probably hear this album. Truth be told, it was the first Deicide album I ever heard. I got it for Christmas 2006, which was a special time in my life that Iím working on a write-up on right now.
Favorite Song (Scars of the Crucifix): Conquered By Sodom
Favorite Song (the Stench of Redemption): Death To Jesus

07/06 -- U2
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Christmas 2006

Dimmu Borgir – Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)

Dissection – the Somberlain (1993)

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse (1994)

Napalm Death – Scum (1987)

Origin – Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas (2002)

Satyricon – Volcano (2002)

Christmas 2006 always sticks in my mind as my favorite Christmas of all-time. Or at least recent memory. I’m sure there were years as a child when I got that GI Joe toy I really wanted that were pretty awesome. But 2006 was a good year for me and this was the perfect ending. I’ve already posted Cryptopsy’s ‘None So Vile’, Deicide’s ‘the Stench of Redemption’, Enslaved’s ‘Ruun’, Nile’s ‘Amongst the Catacombs of the Nephren-Ka’ and Ulver’s ‘Kveldssanger’ elsewhere on this thread. But I got some other albums that day that were cool, just not some of my favorites. Some of them like Napalm Death’s ‘Scum’ and Satyricons ‘Volcano’ just weren’t what I was expecting. Scum…I don’t know what I was expecting. I think the production just turned me right off. Why I thought a grindcore album from twenty years earlier would sound GOOD I don’t know. And the only Satyricon I’d heard at that point was Now, Diabolical, and Volcano isn’t Now, Diabolical. Other’s, like the Dissection and Origin albums, were bands that I already liked but those albums just weren’t as good as the ones I’d already heard (namely Storm of the Lights Bane and Echos of Decimation). So while they were both really good albums they didn’t catch me off guard and excite me as much. Dimmu Borgir was just there. It was a bit of an overload getting all that great music in one day and they just got lost in the shuffle because I think it was the last one I listened to. Something had to be last and it just happened to be that album. But if you’ve ever been interested in Dimmu Borgir I’d say it’s the best album to own by them. In the Nightside Eclipse I’d already had as a CD-R for years so it was really nothing I hadn’t heard before. Just now I owned a legit copy. It’s a fucking great album though, you should check it out. I always jump back and forth on which album by them (this or Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk) is the better Emperor album but as of now I prefer Anthems. Overall, it was just such a great day. In 2006 I made the decision to buy more underground, hard to find shit and this Christmas was the culmination of that year. I think anyone will agree that I got a lot of wicked albums that day. I also got one of my favorite games of all-time that Christmas, Final Fantasy XII, and I have so many great memories of just relaxing, playing that game and listening to this music. I have kids now and Christmas is special for other reasons but this will always go down as one of the better ones.
Favorite Song (Enthrone Darkness Triumphant): Entrance
Favorite Song (the Somberlain): Mistress of the Bleeding Sorrow
Favorite Song (In the Nightside Eclipse): Inno A Satana
Favorite Song (Scum): the Kill
Favorite Song (Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas): Insurrection
Favorite Song (Volcano): Repined Bastard Nation

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Beck - One Foot in the Grave (1994)

When I first got this album sometime in late 1994 I hated it. I was listening to a lot of Beck in those days. There wasnít that much out but what he did have was pretty off the wall (Mellow Gold, the Loser and Beercan EPs, Stereopathetic Soul Manure). There are still a few songs that are a bit wilder on this album (Burnt Orange Peel, Ziplock Bag) but for the most part it's just Beck, his acoustic guitar and some friends on melodic background vocals and drums. I was very young at the time and didn't appreciate music like that. But over the years (Jesus Christ, itís been twenty) Iíve grown to really appreciate and love this album as a nice chill out album with quite a few beautiful songs that have (unfortunately) been forgotten over time. You could call this a precursor to Becks later material.
Favorite Song: Forcefield

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Beck - One Foot in the Grave (1994)

When I first got this album sometime in late 1994 I hated it. I was listening to a lot of Beck in those days. There wasn’t that much out but what he did have was pretty off the wall (Mellow Gold, the Loser and Beercan EPs, Stereopathetic Soul Manure). There are still a few songs that are a bit wilder on this album (Burnt Orange Peel, Ziplock Bag) but for the most part it's just Beck, his acoustic guitar and some friends on melodic background vocals and drums. I was very young at the time and didn't appreciate music like that. But over the years (Jesus Christ, it’s been twenty) I’ve grown to really appreciate and love this album as a nice chill out album with quite a few beautiful songs that have (unfortunately) been forgotten over time. You could call this a precursor to Becks later material.
Favorite Song: Forcefield
Shit, this is great. I need to listen to his new album. I've heard some Beck before and wasn't into it, but maybe it was because it was his full-band stuff. I generally prefer "man/woman with his/her acoustic" anyway.

EDIT: It was Midnite Vultures that I wasn't into. I don't remember if I liked Mellow Gold or not, but "Loser" is a great song obviously. I've heard great things about Sea Changes, too.

Last edited by larvtard; 03-28-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Shit, this is great. I need to listen to his new album. I've heard some Beck before and wasn't into it, but maybe it was because it was his full-band stuff. I generally prefer "man/woman with his/her acoustic" anyway.

EDIT: It was Midnite Vultures that I wasn't into. I don't remember if I liked Mellow Gold or not, but "Loser" is a great song obviously. I've heard great things about Sea Changes, too.
Midnight Vultures is where he lost me too. Odelay was good at the time it came out but over the years I've fallen out if love with it. Mellow Gold was in my first posts on this thread a year and a half ago in my top twenty. But if you're into the "guy and his guitar" thing One Foot in the Grave is what you want. I've heard Mutations was similar but I've never heard it. And Sea Change but again I've never heard it.

I feel out of love with Beck around Midnight Vultures and only got back in to him last year when he released those two singles (I Won't Be Long and Defriended) and now I'm playing catch-up on fifteen years of music.

But he was at his best in the early days (pre-Odelay).

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Jesu – Silver (2006)

I’m really not a huge Godflesh fan and I’ve really never listened to any other Jesu. From what I gather this is a little more polished, upbeat, electronic and less-sludgy than most of Justin’s Jesu material. It’s another album I got around that fabled Christmas of 2006 but I got it at a more tumultuous time, a few months earlier when I was struggling (big-time) through Intermediate Trade School. So an album that was depressing yet had a glimmer of hope surrounding it was a welcome listen at the time. The title track starts things off with a more typical sludgy dirge. It’s more shoegaze than doom. It was the song that first brought the album to my attention. Star is a lot poppier and upbeat, with some nice jangly guitar and some wicked droning keyboards in the last few minutes. Wolves is another slow song that is more doom-metal with a lot of electronics. Call it “electronic-doom-metal” if you like. It starts off rather slow and plodding but once it hits the halfway point watch out. Dead Eyes is an instrumental that finishes everything off and it’s really good with some great electronics. Too bad this is not an album but an EP. It ends way too early (even though it’s twenty seven minutes long). Like I said, I haven’t heard any other Jesu but what I have heard is no where near as good as this. If this had of been a full-length album it’d have been top twenty material.
Favorite Song: Wolves

07/06 -- U2
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Fear Factory Ė Soul of a New Machine (1992)

Fear Factory Ė Demanufacture (1995)

Fear Factory was a great gateway band for me when I was in my mid-teens and was just getting into underground metal. Theyíre not considered ďundergroundĒ today but in 1996 there wasnít the internet there is today. I had Muchmusic (Canadaís MTV) and their late-night metal show LOUD (Canadaís Headbangers Ball). It was only once a week and it was only an hour long and it was the only way I heard any metal music. So that was how I discovered Fear Factory. Iíll go backwards with this review and start with Demanufacture because it was the first one I heard. I didnít really ďloveĒ Replica but I thought it was neat enough and the CD was actually available at my local HMV so I bought it. And I knew somehow that owning it would make me more metal. Needless to say, Replica was one of the better tracks but there were a lot more that I loved. Their barked verses and clean chorus style has gotten pretty tired over the years. The same can be said for most bands that use that style (cough*KillswithEngage*cough) but at the time Iíd never heard anything like it so I thought it was fucking awesome. A few months later Fear Factory was touring with Type O Negative (one of my all-time favorite bands) and I was stoked to go to that show. Fear Factory was awesome at that show, but what impressed me even more was the three older songs they played from their first album Iíd never even knew they had (Martyr, Scapegoat and Scumgrief). So I ran out and bought it the next dayÖand hated it. It was a lot gruffer and raw than Demanufacture (or the performance Iíd heard the night before) so I wasnít too happy. But over the years it grew on me more and more. I still love the barked verse/clean chorus songs that I was dissing earlier on but for 1992 it was really cool. And the fact of the matter is some of those melodies are just fantastic.
Favorite Song (Soul of a New Machine): Lifeblind
Favorite Song (Demanufacture): Pisschrist

Something thatís irked me about Soul of a New Machine for years is how people always go on how Fear Factory were totally aping Napalm Death in their early days. Specifically the album Fear, Emptiness, Despair. They did sound a lot like F.E.D.-era Napalm Death on Soul of a New Machine but the funny thing isÖFear, Emptiness, Despair came out two years after Soul of a New Machine. So who influenced who? And you can say they still were aping the Napalm Death style anyway but nothing Napalm Death had released up to then sound anything like Fear Factory, save the vocals a bit. So stop accusing Fear Factory of ripping off Napalm Death.

07/06 -- U2