Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 AM
One who onions things

Mastodon -- Los Angeles, CA -- May 2nd, 2014

Just got home from this. Very fun show.

I rolled out from work to meet up with my buddy Danny Six-Pack in Pasadena for the show. Somehow, the fastest route to his place ended up being a scenic drive through Hollywood Hills. Rad! After kicking it for a bit, we headed out to Krishna LABrownie's place. I ended up jamming with Six-Pack (him on bass and me on drums) for an hour or so. It was my first time playing music with someone in maybe three years, so I had a fricken' blast.

The three of us then headed out to Club Nokia for the show. Walked in with plenty of time to kill for Kvelertak. They were actually a lot of fun live, though I'm not entirely sure I'd dig them on album.

Gojira was next and they absolutely blew me away. Incredible energy and performances, and the songs sounded massive. People went bonkernanas for Backbone, as did I. Joe sounded badass as fuck and Mario was like the prog metal version of Dave Lombardo. Just awesome. Gojira ended up stealing the show for me.

1. To Sirius
2. The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
3. Backbone
4. Flying Whales
5. L'Enfant Sauvage
6. Toxic Garbage Island
7. In the Forest
8. Oroborus
9. Vacuity

The last time I saw Mastodon was the Missing Link festival in 2010, which might be forever known as Mastodon's worst show in their career. This time, things were definitely a bit different. Brent was the MVP, his vocals were actually nearly perfect (dude totally nailed Naked Burn, which surprised the hell out of me) and his playing was stellar. Troy's voice actually sounded weaker than I remembered from years ago. I think he's Hetfielding- like he's learning how to sing better, but his natural gruffness is fading as a result. Brann was pretty inconsistent, which is what I remember. Bill and Troy really upped their stage presence big time, especially Troy. He actually looks like he's having a lot of fun onstage.

So after seeing the fucking amazing setlist that Mastodon were playing the other nights, they went and replaced Trampled Under Hoof from Remission with Blasteroid from The Hunter. BOO. The set, while played excellently, felt like just a totally random playlist of cool Mastodon songs. There was no flow to the set at all. The band, while sounding really tight and solid, also seemed to lack the kind of extra fire and energy that really makes a set stand out. Gojira had that in spades, and Mastodon just seemed to be running through a set like it was pure business. The Impaled set I saw a few weeks back is a good comparison too- the set was full of fuckups and random problems, but the sheer energy and bulldozer-like drive came through and made the set utterly transcendent. I got that vibe from Gojira tonight, and not so much from Mastodon. At least I can say I saw Mastodon finally give a really good, maybe great (though not quite amazing) show with a really balanced setlist. Sure as hell beats the shit out of Missing Link 2010.

Also, Chimes at Midnight sounded pretty solid, probably the most straightforwardly aggressive thing they've done since Blood Mountain. I think it definitely lacks the songwriting complexity and creativity of the songs from that album though. High Road still sounded really lame to me. It was significant for being the first Mastodon sound (not counting Deathbound) to actually feature Bill in a significant way though. He was helping out Brann with the high vocals a lot.

1. Hearts Alive
2. Divinations
3. Crusher Destroyer
4. Capillarian Crest
5. Black Tongue
6. Bladecatcher
7. Crystal Skull
8. Siberian Divide
9. Naked Burn
10. Megalodon
11. Oblivion
12. Blasteroid
13. Octopus Has No Friends
14. Chimes at Midnight
15. High Road
16. Aqua Dementia
17. The Sparrow

My buds and I agreed that Gojira basically murdered everyone, Kvelertak were a good time and Mastodon were very good. Night peeps.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 05-03-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Getting juked out of Trampled Under Hoof is lame, sorry to hear that
Old 05-03-2014, 04:14 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Nice that Gojira added two songs though. Makes it a much better set from them. I hope Trampled comes back.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Nice that Gojira added two songs though. Makes it a much better set from them.
Yep, Gojira's set was epic to say the least. It felt long without getting boring at any point. They're definitely going to be a go-to band for me for at least a week or two haha.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 05-03-2014, 10:53 AM
N00B

What happened at Missing Link? Did Brent have a hissyfit or something?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguytoo9 View Post
What happened at Missing Link? Did Brent have a hissyfit or something?
To say the least, yeah
Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
To say the least, yeah
Details? I Googled it but couldn't find anything.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
Yeah, I would be interested to hear what happened as well. I have only heard minor details of Brent and or other band members showing their distaste on stage.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I thought there was a thread discussing details on this site but I guess even the gig review didn't have much info. If anybody else at the shows wants to add anything, feel free. From what I remember, they got on and played Crack the Skye, and it wasn't terrible but it seemed like they were a little strained on the album. This was my 3rd time seeing them play the album in its entirety, so I knew I was looking forward to the songs they were playing after they were done with CTS. The wait between The last Baron and Crusher Destroyer was like 10-15 minutes, way longer than ever before and we just got the same 3 note loop the whole time. Then they finally come on and blow threw Crusher Destroyer which was awesome, but then Brent went off stage for like a few minutes because he's having tech issues and is drunk and isn't happy. Then after that they play Crystal Skull and then Brent walks off again then they play Blood and Thunder as a trio and Brent joins in half way through the song from the side of the stage. It was just super unprofessional and we got cheated out of a great set of songs.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM
One who onions things

On Mastodon's old forum they had a big thread about it. But yeah, basically CtS wasn't played super well, I remember The Last Baron in particular being a massive clusterfuck. Then the band went offstage for what felt like a lot more than 10-15 minutes. The rest is as slap said.

The thing is, that fest had been like 7 amazing bands all playing incredible sets before Mastodon. Baroness tore through their flawless set without saying a word, and High on Fire obliterated their hometown- the show was in Oakland, and I think it still might be one of the best times I've ever seen them. All Mastodon had to do was do their thing and it would have been gravy, but Brent threw a bitchfit and derailed it. That, combined with the fact that Mastodon were just not a very strong live band at the time, just left a really bad taste in everyone's mouth after the show.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Tags
gojira, kvelertak, mastodon