Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014
Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Fucking awesome record. Though I do find it strange how everyone calls it punk-rock and crossover like when to me it has a lot more in common with Black Sabbath. There's at least 5 more Sabbath like groove moments then there are punk moments.

My favorite song is probably USA for USA than if for no other reason it starts with the line "LISTEN TO THIS ALL YOU DOUCHEBAGS! ITS TIME TO LAY DOWN THE LAW!"

If the album has a flaw, its the Jimi Hendrix cover. It's not necessarily bad, but it really doesn't need to be there.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I can't believe Pete's been gone for almost four years. I have the utmost respect for Dio, Dimebag and all the other idols that have fallen. But Peter's the one that hits me the hardest.
Same here. The first couple Type O records are some of my all-time favourites, and even though I discovered Carnivore much later, those two albums are pretty solid as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Fucking awesome record. Though I do find it strange how everyone calls it punk-rock and crossover like when to me it has a lot more in common with Black Sabbath. There's at least 5 more Sabbath like groove moments then there are punk moments.

My favorite song is probably USA for USA than if for no other reason it starts with the line "LISTEN TO THIS ALL YOU DOUCHEBAGS! ITS TIME TO LAY DOWN THE LAW!"

If the album has a flaw, its the Jimi Hendrix cover. It's not necessarily bad, but it really doesn't need to be there.
There are definitely some pretty Sabbath-sounding moments on Retaliation. I just think it sounds punk or hardcore throughout most of the reord -- songs like "Inner Conflict" and "SMD" are pretty good examples. I forgot to mention the cover song -- probably because as you said, it's not bad but it doesn't make me want to listen to it either. I prefer the Metallica model of not including covers on studio records.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I think I said it last year when you reviewed Carnivore's s/t album, but if they took the songs off the first album and the grittier production of the second you'd have had a perfect album. Instead, you get two really good ones.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 03-09-2014, 04:35 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I think I said it last year when you reviewed Carnivore's s/t album, but if they took the songs off the first album and the grittier production of the second you'd have had a perfect album. Instead, you get two really good ones.
Yeah you may have something there. The songs on the s/t are catchier and would probably benefit from the nastier sound of the second album. It would have been cool if Steele had been able to get a live album in before he passed. Too bad.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Wasn't Carnivore more or less dead by 2008?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Wasn't Carnivore more or less dead by 2008?
I have no idea. All I know is that after Steele died, I was browsing metal-archives one day and saw that Carnivore were active from 2006-2010. I don't know how active they actually were, but I think we can all agree that a Carnivore live album would have been pretty sweet.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I think they played Wacken and a few other European festivals in 2006.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 03-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Kreator - Terrible Certainty - October, 1987

Kreator's first two albums were exercises in aggression -- sacrificing riffcraft and catchiness for ridiculous speed and little else. Something started to change with 1987's Terrible Certainty, a greater emphasis on song-building, as well as melody and even hooks. Mille and Co. also decided to add a second guitarist for their third album, which probably has something to do with the shift in approach.

The results are mixed, however. Terrible Certainty is an album that packs an absolute shitload of riffs, but they don't always jive together. Songs like "Blind Faith" and "Behind the Mirror" sound disjointed at times, while the main verse riff in "No Escape" sounds downright happy. The meat of the album is quite solid though, starting with the catchy-as-all-hell title track, continuing with what may be the best song and what is the only Ventor-fronted track "As the World Burns" and ending with riff-o-rama "Toxic Trace". There are other great moments, some real head-banging riffs, but the band wanders from riff to riff too often, losing the listener in the process.

Terrible Certainty can be seen as a transition album, guiding us from the band's raw and aggressive early works to the more melodic and refined sound we would hear on subsequent albums. It is certainly not the best Kreator release nor is it the worst, but it is a very necessary step in the band's discography.

Standouts: As the World Burns, Toxic Trace, Terrible Certainty

Score: 7.5/10
Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Terribile Certainty is definitely a transition album (even though Blind Faith and Storming With Menace fucking rule). If I were to redo my top 100 metal albums, this would probably be off and replaced by Destruction or something.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Tankard - Chemical Invasion - October, 1987

I was probably a little too harsh on Tankard's debut, Zombie Attack (I gave it a 4.5 -- probably 1.5 points lower than it should be). It was at least a competent thrash metal release and certainly featured a lot of energy and enthusiam while not showing a whole lot of wit or intelligence. The band's second release follows in that same line. Chemical Invasion is a bit of an improvement on its predecessor though since it seems the band has managed to slow down sometimes and even write some catchier material. The idiot subject matter persists, of course with song titles like "For a Thousand Beers" and lyrics like, I dunno pick one, which is probably my biggest gripe with Tankard. The musicians are talented enough though, and while songs like "Don't Panic" and "Traitor" are fine examples of thrash in 1987, it's obvious that Tankard will always live in the shadows of Kreator, Destruction and Sodom (and rightfully so).

Standouts: Traitor, Don't Panic, For a Thousand Beers

Score: 6.5/10