Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

The Ocean -- Cleveland, OH -- March 25th, 2014

Venue: Grog Shop
Source: Me

This was the first metal show I've been to in a while, so I've been looking forward to this one for since it was announced. My buddy and I headed down early to catch all the bands.

First up was Silver Snakes from LA. If I could describe them in one term, it would be emo-stoner rock/metal. The music was pretty good but the vocals and look of most of the band screamed emo. Not bad but not really my deal.

Next up was one of my favorite bands in the past few years, The Atlas Moth from Chicago . Last time I saw them was opening for Gojira and Devin Townsend. They are going to release their new album, The Old Believer, on June 10th so I figured they would be heavy on new material, which I was looking forward to. I have to say that the new material sounds heavier than their killer 2011 album An Ache for the Distance. They added keyboards as well to the new material to give the songs more dynamics.

01. Coffin Varnish
02. New Song (No name given)
03. New Song (No name given)
04. Holes in the Desert
05. Wynona (New song)

Next up was Scale the Summit. They are really talented but I prefer Animals as Leaders to them. AAL seems to have more soul to their music. Scale played for around 50 minutes and that was 20 too long in my opinion. No offense to who likes them but they just put me to sleep after a while. They had pretty cool projections behind them. Again, awesome at what they do but I just can't get into them. What I found really odd was that a decent number of people left after their set and didn't stay for The Ocean . When I saw Intronaut in Seattle last spring, Scale opened and the same thing happened! They must have a weird fanbase that only sees them and rolls after their set haha.

The Ocean headlined and played Pelagial (top 3 2013 album for me) all the way through with the special edition video for the album they released in the background. They only had four guys because their bass player has been sick recently so the bass was played through the PA. It did not take away from the heaviness of the set at all! Their performance may have been the heaviest set I've ever seen at the Grog (having seen the Melvins there four times make this feat even more impressive).

01. Epipelagic
02. Mesopelagic: The Uncanny
03. Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
04. Bathyalpelagic II: The Wish in Dreams
05. Bathyalpelagic III: Disequillibrated
06. Abyssopelagic I: Boundless Vasts
07. Abyssopelagic II: Signals of Anxiety
08. Hadopelagic I: Omen of the Deep
09. Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe
10. Demersal: Cognitive Dissonance
11. Benthic: The Origin of Our Wishes
--------------------------
12. Firmament

Awesome show overall! Really glad I got to see Pelagial in it's entirety on the same night The Atlas Moth played.

Last edited by petrovar; 04-07-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

You bastard. I was supposed to be at this show, but instead I had to get on a plane at 7 AM to fly to Birmingham, AL for the fifth time this year. Glad you got to see the new album in its entirety, since it rocks, but if I had been there I might have wanted to hear more from Helio / Anthro since the last time I saw them was at Peabody's on tour for Precambrian.

Hey, I thought you were supposed to be leaving town or something. Did that change? If so, we still need to bump into each other at a show sometime. My next one (hopefully) will probably be the Tesseract show at The Agora next month.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
TiradesOfTruth

At the Pontiac date Scale The Summit headlined and it was the opposite of what happened at your show if anything half the place cleared out after The Ocean took the stage. Also I totally agree with you after the first 20 or 30 minutes of their set I was bored to sleep. The Ocean and The Atlas Moth crushed it though so it was worth it.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovar View Post
They are really talented but I prefer Animals as Leaders to them. AAL seems to have more soul to their music.
que
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Hey, I thought you were supposed to be leaving town or something. Did that change? If so, we still need to bump into each other at a show sometime. My next one (hopefully) will probably be the Tesseract show at The Agora next month.
Yeah, I was in Seattle for a short period of time, but I'm back. I might be at Tesseract. I'll let you know as it gets closer.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiradesOfTruth View Post
At the Pontiac date Scale The Summit headlined and it was the opposite of what happened at your show if anything half the place cleared out after The Ocean took the stage. Also I totally agree with you after the first 20 or 30 minutes of their set I was bored to sleep. The Ocean and The Atlas Moth crushed it though so it was worth it.
I wonder if it's a case then of the bands being too different and people aren't into both (which is the case with me so I'm not surprised I guess haha)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

I love Scale the Summit. I don't really care either way about the ocean.

That said, I would still stay for them if they were headlining, at least for some of it.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

GOD DAMN IT PELAGIAL IN ITS ENTIRETY. WHY DOES THE BUS BACK TO MY TOWN HAVE TO STOP RUNNING SO EARLY SO I CAN'T GO TO THE CAMBRIDGE SHOW? FUCKKKKKK
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/

Tags
scale the summit, the atlas moth, the ocean