Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
with his arms outstretched

Chrono Trigger
Platform: Super Nintendo
Released: 1995
Publisher: Squaresoft

I don’t know how my friend Eric came across this game in summer 1995. We were still avid readers of Nintendo Power and Gamepro magazines but I’d never even heard about this game. So I went to his house one day and he was playing it and I was like, “what the fuck is this?”. What the fuck is this indeed. How about one of the greatest games ever made? I really can’t get into how great this game is with just a few paragraphs. Anyone who’s played it is just nodding their head right now in agreement. Anyone who hasn’t played it…just play it. The graphics show their age but just play it. If you’re into old school RPG’s this is the PERFECT game. From a time before goofy spiked hair and gender defying villains. The scenery, the characters, the music, there is nothing wrong with this game. Play the original SNES version because the Playstation remake had terrible lag and pointless anime cut-scenes.

Favorite Moment: the Belthasar's Nu’s last moments in 2300AD. The Nu's were such a sad, confusing creature.

Favorite Musical Piece: Sealed Door

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

No disrespect to the effort you've put into this thread - I'm sure the gamer geeks are loving it - but I can't help but notice that your favorite game thread is as lacking in diversity due to Final Fantasy as Twatty's favorite movies thread was due to Harry Potter.

Not judgin', just sayin'.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
No disrespect to the effort you've put into this thread - I'm sure the gamer geeks are loving it - but I can't help but notice that your favorite game thread is as lacking in diversity due to Final Fantasy as Twatty's favorite movies thread was due to Harry Potter.

Not judgin', just sayin'.
Goddamn it I knew someone was going to make that reference.

I had to induct those Final Fantasies separate because if I'd inducted the series as a whole some shitty games would've gotten included. And they have no business in this list. The thing is with Final Fantasy games if you haven't played one they all look the same. But if you've followed the series as long as I have you notice enough differences that make each game, in some ways, totally different from the last. Especially the newer ones.

But there are no more Final Fantasies on this list.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-20-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Twatty

Have you called him that before? That's fucking funny.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

I first played Chrono Trigger maybe 4-5 years ago, but the DS version, and I was hooked. It BARELY made it to my list simply due to the fact I didn't get a lot of time with it, so I couldn't FULLY embrace it, such an amazing game though.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Have you called him that before? That's fucking funny.
Quote:
By the way...in light of Twatty's recent "thread heard 'round the forum", the above list of movies would be a pretty good start for my own personal list if I were to ever make one. I think only two or three of the above films made his list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
That's such a cruel nickname for the poor kid.
Quote:
I just took the acronym TWATY and modified it a bit.

He's gonna have to get a thick skin sometime if he's gonna survive around here.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I first played Chrono Trigger maybe 4-5 years ago, but the DS version, and I was hooked. It BARELY made it to my list simply due to the fact I didn't get a lot of time with it, so I couldn't FULLY embrace it, such an amazing game though.
I've had almost twenty years with that game so it always has a special place in my heart.

Thing is with that game (and a lot of other games on this list) is they have a sort if "you had to be there" vibe to them. I can see a kid today seeing Final Fantasy IV and walking away. Just like I do with the first generation games from before my time. There's just so damn much to choose from these days. Really, what would you rather *look* at: Final Fantasy IV or Final Fantasy XIII? A lot of the older games are going to get lost in time. Which is why threads like this and the other game threads are good.

Or threads like El Gordo's thrash thread. Keeping the memory alive.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-21-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:21 AM

The Mass Effect Series
Platform: Playstation 3 (for me)
Released: 2007, 2010 and 2012
Publisher: Bioware/Electronic Arts

I can’t rate these as individual games because I see the series all as one. I can’t play Mass Effect without immediately starting Mass Effect 2 the second after I beat it, and likewise for the third game.

All three games offer something a little different from the other. With the first there’s an air of innocence to it. Bad stuff is happening but you really don’t know how bad things will get later on in the series. It’s really sad watching some of these characters and how naïve they are when you know how totally fucked up they get in the third game. And there are more traditional RPG elements in the first one, more customization and a bit greater emphasis on building your stats. If there’s any problem I guess the combat is a little weak, the graphics are a little dated and the music in the clubs on the Citadel isn’t as PUMPING as the later games.

The second game, to me, feels like a small part of a much bigger story. It doesn’t have the huge, galactic consequences like the first and third. It just feels like a small group of people having their problems while the rest of the galaxy just goes about it’s business without noticing them. I find the combat and gameplay much better in this game but a lot of people may be turned off by the fact that it’s less RPG and more action. And Liara T'Soni is barely in it.

The third game is most famous for its controversial ending. People focused solely on the ending when it came out and looked past the forty hours of awesome leading up to it. If you ask me the ending was fine and this is the best entry in the series. The combat is phenomenal, the story is epic, and there are moments that will last with you long after the game is over. It's exhausting though. The final sequence from the battle in orbit around Earth to the final scene is just so intense. I can’t help but be totally immersed in the Mass Effect universe when I’m playing this game.

Overall, the series has some of the best writing, best action, best settings and probably the best characters of any game. Yeah it may have aped a few things that had already been done in Star Wars or Star Trek. But they got those ideas from somewhere else too and I'm sure in twenty years other gams will be using those ideas again. People mock me for how in love I am with these games but I don’t really care. I care about Tali’s well being, I take ten minutes to decide between Kaidan or Ashley, I do my best to help Joker and EDI sort out their relationship and I’m in love (not lust, love) with Liara. It’s defiantly the best series of the last five years, maybe even ten. And I personally hope there never is a forth game because the way it ended was perfect.

Favorite Moment (Mass Effect): the conversation with Vigil on Ilos
Favorite Moment (Mass Effect 2): the first time you walk into Club Afterlife
Favorite Moment (Mass Effect 3): this is another one where it's hard to choose one scene in particular. But I really enjoyed the party at the end of the Citadel DLC

Favorite Musical Piece (Mass Effect): Vigil
Favorite Musical Piece (Mass Effect 2): the Illusive Mans theme
Favorite Musical Piece (Mass Effect 3): Purgatory club music, that needs to be playing on an endless loop wherever I am

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-21-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 AM
N00B

I started playing the first mass effect a few weeks ago ( bought it for 4 bucks on Xbox live) and was really starting to get into it, but then Dark Souls 2 came out so I probably won't get back into it for awhile, but I will for sure one day
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Right there with you brother. Huge Mass Effect fan myself. The new games will apparently be a trilogy completely separate to the original, expanding the universe even more.